Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
sugarbear2403
sugarbear2403 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
ebook typos

I was just wondering if anyone else has found typos in the ebooks downloaded from Connect? I have found a lot in the book, I'm reading right now. Didn't bug me at first but it like every other page. It's stuff likethis. No big be deal, but I was just wondering if anyone else has seen it. And does anyone know if they scan books in or something? How do they do it? Even with the typos I LOVE the sony reader.
sugarbear2403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:40 AM   #2
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbear2403
It's stuff likethis. No big be deal, but I was just wondering if anyone else has seen it.
I've seen things like that in other material -- there it meant that the conversion program did different things with 'like this' (when the space was retained) and 'like<new line>this' or 'like<hard space>this' or even 'like<tab>this' (when these special characters were dropped).

Without knowing exactly how the BBeB books are created, it's dificult to say for sure if that's what causes the problem.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If the typo was in the original manuscript, then there is nothing really for Sony to fix. But if it's merely a conversion problem, then we should probably continue noting down the typos here to make Sony aware of the issue.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:38 AM   #4
MelancholyTea
MelancholyTea began at the beginning.

Sugarbear, I've noticed the same in my book. Maybe it's the same one! Which one are you reading?
MelancholyTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #5
sugarbear2403
sugarbear2403 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Probably not the same book, I was reading Section 31 Abyss. But now I'm reading another book and I'm a few pages in and I'm finding the same kind of typos. I'm thinking it much have something to do with the scanning process. Does anyone know about sony's scanning process? Does anyone know how BBeb books are created? Another question, my boyfriend thinks I should email Sony and make sure they are aware of the problem, yall think I should?
sugarbear2403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
MelancholyTea
MelancholyTea began at the beginning.

Nope, not the same. Emailing Sony is probably a safe bet, although that's another thing that's usually up to the publishers. I wonder if the errors you're seeing are in any of the other formats as well?
MelancholyTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:47 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbear2403
I'm thinking it much have something to do with the scanning process. Does anyone know about sony's scanning process? Does anyone know how BBeb books are created?
I think they're taking the pubs' electronic files (from which the pbooks are printed) and converting those directly -- that's something of a guess. If that is the case, then it's a matter of the conversion routine needing some fine-tuning.

E-mailing them wouldn't be a bad idea, they've already responded to our list of books that were priced as hardbacks that are already out in paperback.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote