Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Techonology is the best overall?
Reflective LCD 21 26.92%
E-Ink 57 73.08%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #61
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
How long do the e-ink devices last (continuous reading) anyway?
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #62
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
10,000 page terms is a commonly quoted figure.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #63
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
10,000 page terms is a commonly quoted figure.
Which is how long in terms of continuous reading?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #64
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
How long do the e-ink devices last (continuous reading) anyway?
I don't know that this question can really be answered, as with very few exceptions these devices will outlast the person reading. As a general rule one can expect the device will last for at least two to three days of reading as much time as a person can find to read provided it's not running something else like a wi-fi or 3G connection at the same time.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #65
DJHARKAVY
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I don't know that this question can really be answered, as with very few exceptions these devices will outlast the person reading. As a general rule one can expect the device will last for at least two to three days of reading as much time as a person can find to read provided it's not running something else like a wi-fi or 3G connection at the same time.
And if it is running wifi or 3G?

I'm trying to get a feel for it...

My JBL lasts me over a week before I need to change batteries under normal circumstances.

If I read intensively, it still lasts more than a day.
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #66
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
And if it is running wifi or 3G?

I'm trying to get a feel for it...

My JBL lasts me over a week before I need to change batteries under normal circumstances.

If I read intensively, it still lasts more than a day.
Assuming no idle draw and no other things like 3G or WiFi, and you turn 1 page per minute constantly, a "normal" ebook reader that boasts 8000 pages will land you theoretically 133 hours of runtime, or about 6 times what the jetBook will manage. The major difference is that if you leave both idle, the jetBook will continue to draw power to maintain its screen image, while E-Ink will not. So if you slow the page turning to 1 every 2 minutes, the E-Ink extends to well over 200 hours of runtime, while the jetBook stays around 20-25.

Of course, this is based on advertising figures, which most devices don't seem to achieve in the real world.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 04-11-2010 at 01:01 PM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #67
DJHARKAVY
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Assuming no idle draw and no other things like 3G or WiFi, and you turn 1 page per minute constantly, a "normal" ebook reader that boasts 8000 pages will land you theoretically 133 hours of runtime, or about 6 times what the jetBook will manage.
Danke...

That's what I wanted to know...

For most purposes, no difference really, because I almost always have access to batteries, but if I am going to be away for a while, might be a problem...
Old 04-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #68
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

I don't really see the need to discuss 3G/Wifi power draw, DJHARKAVY, because the power draw from that is independent of that from the screen, and would be the same for a device with either.

The Sony PRS505 I borrowed for a while lasted me a week as a fairly heavy reader.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #69
DJHARKAVY
Addict

Quote:
I don't really see the need to discuss 3G/Wifi power draw, DJHARKAVY, because the power draw from that is independent of that from the screen, and would be the same for a device with either.

The Sony PRS505 I borrowed for a while lasted me a week as a fairly heavy reader.
The JB and JBL don't use wireless connections to load books, so that doesn't need to be taken into account. I suppose if you turn off the 3G/wifi, it would be the same in those terms, but I rarely turn off the wifi on my enabled devices unless I am specifically trying to save power.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #70
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Danke...

That's what I wanted to know...

For most purposes, no difference really, because I almost always have access to batteries, but if I am going to be away for a while, might be a problem...
Certainly, if one frequently charges devices or batteries and is used to the routine, it's completely fine. Further, if one can turn the device off (or at least power-off the screen), battery life can be conserved.

I am no fan of E-Ink, but I do like the novelty of being able to toss it casually aside without turning the power off, and then pick it up several days later without any real drain and with my last page still displayed. It's really a tiny matter, but it is a nice feature.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #71
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Thank you for illustrating why my point was 100% accurate.
Your accusation was 100% false. Its your sarcastic, passive-agressive, "I'm the victim" statement that I took issue with.

Quote:
You know fullwell that reflective LCD devices are few and not massive sellers compared to eInk ones.
I have no knowledge of the total sales of Ectaco/Aluratek and never claimed to. What's your point?

Quote:
Anyway, as I indicated earlier, for me the defining issue is device software. And that comes down to the best ePub renderer.
The subject at hand is the screen technology not the software.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #72
DawnFalcon
Banned

Yes, and your research of people who have voted is nothing to do with this? No, it's quite clear what you're doing.

"I have no knowledge of the total sales"

Lol. Get real.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #73
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm going to sell my Aluratek. Not because of the screen, even though I prefer eInk the nonreflective LCD is far better than backlit LCD, but because the Aluratek Libre doesn't work with Calibre. I can sideload the books but I'd rather not.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #74
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I'm going to sell my Aluratek. Not because of the screen, even though I prefer eInk the nonreflective LCD is far better than backlit LCD, but because the Aluratek Libre doesn't work with Calibre. I can sideload the books but I'd rather not.
Did you try asking Kovid to include support? From what I've seen so far, he's usually very quick about it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just browsed the Calibre forum.

Last edited by Manichean; 04-11-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #75
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yes, and your research of people who have voted is nothing to do with this? No, it's quite clear what you're doing.
Is it? Do you have more accusations and grudges? Please PM me with them and stop wasting people's time. This is my last post on this issue. Apologies to everyone here for dragging this on this long.