Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Lord of the Isles by David Drake

Okay, now I have a question. I bought this book when it first came out and I loved it. Then the 2nd book of the series, "Queen of Demons" was published, purchased and I hated it. Killed off my favorite char, didn't like the story direction...

Yet I've always kinda wondered if the whole series was good. I was so put off by the 2nd book I never tried again. But I'm reminded this morning of how good the first book was.

How is the series? Anyone else have the same experience with the first two books?
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It was one of the TOR freebies last year, so I got it. Read it off-&-on because it never captured my imagination. I just kept comparing it to Lord Valentine's Castle in my mind, and it didn't measure up. It was OK, but not compelling. So I never looked for the second book at all.

For a compelling series from the TOR freebies, and last time I looked the whole series was still free in our uploads, try Peter Watts' Starfish series. I couldn't put them down.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I like the series. The whole lot (six books) are available for $15 from webscription.net, and it also includes the first volume of the next series.

http://www.webscription.net/p-257-lo...the-isles.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Okay, now I have a question. I bought this book when it first came out and I loved it. Then the 2nd book of the series, "Queen of Demons" was published, purchased and I hated it. Killed off my favorite char, didn't like the story direction...

Yet I've always kinda wondered if the whole series was good. I was so put off by the 2nd book I never tried again. But I'm reminded this morning of how good the first book was.

How is the series? Anyone else have the same experience with the first two books?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
All of the books in this series are available over at Webscriptions. David Drake is one of the very few authors who succeeded in getting his ebook rights back from his publisher -- during his last contract negotiations, he (or his agent?) argued successfully that Tor wasn't doing anything with the eBooks anyway (but we don't know what, if any, concessions he made elsewhere to get the rights back). As a result, he's been able to offer most of his backlist and all of his more recent books through Baen in ebook form -- whether published in paper by Baen or by Tor.

It didn't hurt, of course, that David Drake, Jim Baen, and the top guy at Tor are/were all close personal friends with very similar ideas on the right way to approach eBooks.

Xenophon

P.S. Oh yeah, back on topic... I've quite enjoyed this series as it has developed. There's plenty of good adventure, good romance, and good character development to be seen and enjoyed. I recommend that you pursue it at least as far as the freebies at Baen/Webscriptions take you.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I got the first two books from NLS about five years ago and unfortunately all I remember about them is that I really liked them, and something about a storm. I guess that means I ought to go back, start over, and finish off the series.

I just have to decide whether I want to listen to them or read them myself. Decisions, decisions...
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert