Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
The Lenovo Chromebook: Another Nail in Microsoft's Coffin

The Lenovo Chromebook: Another Nail in Microsoft's Coffin
By Anton Wahlman 01/15/13 - 06:00 AM EST The Street

And Microsoft is only one major target.

"NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Many of us have had one. In fact, for those working for corporate America, we have been issued one every three or so years for the better part of the last 20 years.

I'm talking about a ThinkPad laptop, of course. It was first made by IBM and in the last decade Lenovo. It was black, had a great keyboard, a matte screen, and it remains the most reliable Windows laptop around.

Each of those millions of Lenovo ThinkPads ran the latest version of Microsoft's Windows. One could argue that the Lenovo ThinkPad was Microsoft's face of corporate America on the road.

In other words, Microsoft and the ThinkPad laptop were locked in arms against all PC challengers of the past, from Sun to Linux to Apple's Mac. Brothers in arms, locked together in that sturdy black box residing on traveling corporate America's lap, it was Microsoft's Chinese defense wall.

This is about to change.

In 2013, Lenovo will break with its Microsoft Windows exclusivity and start offering PCs -- laptops and desktops alike -- based on Google's PC operating system, Chrome OS. Such laptops and desktops are commonly called "Chromebooks" and "Chromeboxes," respectively.

Why is Lenovo doing this?"

The Nail Gun

Last edited by SeaKing; 01-16-2013 at 01:09 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I don't really see it being much of a nail, considering Chromebooks are almost more useless than tablets for doing anything beyond entertainment/gimmick work.

I mean, sure if you're buying a laptop to use Facebook. Vendor exclusivity sailed ship a few years ago.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Cool; more competition is better.

What I'd really like to see is a Chromebox priced in the $199~$249 range.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
I would definitely buy a Lenovo Chromebook. I rarely use any programs that won't work in a browser and so long as I can open an SSH session, i'm happy.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

These devices may have a place in corporations, but the article itself is hyperbole. My favourite was the bit about zero support costs. Greatly reduced, perhaps, but any asset will incur costs to acquire, manage, and dispose of. The bit about Office was hilarious too, since it completely misses the point: people use Office for interoperability. No viruses or malware, well that got a few giggles. As soon as a product is worth targetting, someone will find an attack vector.

The Chromebook may or may not be a wonder machine. I don't know. What I do know is that particular article lacks credibility based upon the arguments presented within it.
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I have a Chromebook and like it, but I don't see why it has to be a nail in Microsoft's coffin, I'm not "Team Chromebook". I wouldn't count out Microsoft. Linux hasn't toppled Microsoft. The Chromebook seems to be selling well, but I don't think it is a "there can be only one" situation.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I have a Chromebook and like it, but I don't see why it has to be a nail in Microsoft's coffin, I'm not "Team Chromebook". I wouldn't count out Microsoft. Linux hasn't toppled Microsoft. The Chromebook seems to be selling well, but I don't think it is a "there can be only one" situation.
Because predicting the next iPad killer isn't cool anymore.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Noetic_Hatter
Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Exactly right. The tech press, just like most media, thrives on controversy and conflict. They could just as easily have said: "Hooray! Lenovo will start selling some laptops running Chrome OS for those people who might be interested. It's good to have choices."

But who would click on that story?
Noetic_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noetic_Hatter View Post
Exactly right. The tech press, just like most media, thrives on controversy and conflict. They could just as easily have said: "Hooray! Lenovo will start selling some laptops running Chrome OS for those people who might be interested. It's good to have choices."

But who would click on that story?
Oh, no, we can't have that. Choices would just confuse people, they aren't necessary.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
I watch this closely

big question is connection wifi 3G
if have connection then many uses dont need MS or Apple or Intel hardware

with 3G no need

spreadsheet docs database in cloud

backup automatic
sharing automatic
updates automatic
virus prot automatic

no connection
then question on how operates

my question yet unanswered
will it work over sat phone?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Wow, servers and work stations, i.e., the Cloud and Chromebooks. What goes around comes around.

I think I'll stick to my stand alone device that will still work even if I don't have broadband. It would even work if I only had, gasp, dial-up.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The Chromebook seems more like the final nail in privacy's coffin --- everything online only. Thanks, but no thanks.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-17-2013 at 01:26 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And if the machine storing your important data is offline, you are screwed if you really need access now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And if the machine storing your important data is offline, you are screwed if you really need access now.
That's what external hard drives are for.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote