Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

View Poll Results: For converting epub to mobi, do you prefer Calibre or KindleGen/Kindle Previewer?
Calibre 22 52.38%
KindleGen/Kindle Previewer 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Converting Epub to Mobi: Calibre v KindleGen/Kindle Previewer

For converting epub to mobi, do you prefer Calibre or KindleGen/Kindle Previewer?

Also, any insights -- pros, cons, other thoughts on the two methods -- would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Jane12; 10-07-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
Actually most of the info I've gotten here on the forum suggests strongly that we use Kindlegen/Previewer to convert from epub to mobi. It's been known for KDP to reject a mobi file if it was created through Calibre's mobi conversion process, and I don't like the results anyway. The process Calibre epub to mobi through KindlePreviewer works pretty well, although I'm still not pleased with how my Chapter Headings look (they always come out bold and I don't want them bold on my Kindle Fire) but I'm working on it... they aren't bold on the epub just the converted mobi.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
For the tightest control over the final result, I'd suggest tweaking the ePub source and using KindleGen.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It all depends on what the goal is. If I just want to make a quick tweak for my own personal reading pleasure, I have no qualms about using calibre. But if I'm creating an ebook—either simply for posterity or for sale by Amazon. I'll be using Kindlegen ... no question.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
sebdea
sebdea began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello all,

I also have a big issue with MOBI conversion from EPUB. If some of you have an idea how can I solve it, please read the post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189884

Thank you in advance.

Sebastian
sebdea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all! This is very helpful.

Sounds like Kindlegen produces better results, while Calibre may be simpler/quicker/easier?

Is there ever a situation where Calibre produces better results than Kindlegen?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
It depends what you mean by "better".

"Better" meaning more compliant with the Kindle/Mobipocket "standard"? No, because Amazon define the standard and don't publish it.

"Better" meaning more closely matching the formatting of the original epub? Yes, sometimes.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
sebdea

MOBI just a bad joke

For an instance I used Calibre to convert an ePub as AZW3 file. It worked like a charm. While MOBI format is just a bad joke when converting a full of table document AZW3 file is interpreting perfect everything. Not to mention that in MOBI all my *.png files have a white background though they are transparent (see MOBI.png). This is not happening in AZW3 (AZW3.png) file which not only reproduce all the *.png file with transparencies but also interprets perfect all the tables. See attachments.

... and I think AZW3 can be read by any Kindle device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AZW3.png
Views:	977
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	93660   Click image for larger version

Name:	MOBI.png
Views:	949
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	93661  
Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebdea View Post
... and I think AZW3 can be read by any Kindle device.
If by AZW3 you mean KF8 (AZW3 doesn't necessarily mean that however) the original Kindle, Kindle 2 and Kindle DX (all versions) don't support it and aren't likely to.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Jane12
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It depends what you mean by "better".

"Better" meaning more compliant with the Kindle/Mobipocket "standard"? No, because Amazon define the standard and don't publish it.

"Better" meaning more closely matching the formatting of the original epub? Yes, sometimes.
I'm more concerned about compliance with Kindle standard -- i.e., creating Kindle ebooks that will not cause a Kindle device/app to balk.

But it's interesting that Calibre can sometimes do a better job of matching formatting of the original epub. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Last edited by Jane12; 10-08-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
sebdea

Well I think is not OK.

I just tried KindleGen and I have to admit that tables are looking OK, like in the AZW3 file. However the PNG files are still with white background. Which is not OK.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebdea View Post
Well I think is not OK.

I just tried KindleGen and I have to admit that tables are looking OK, like in the AZW3 file. However the PNG files are still with white background. Which is not OK.
I think you might be a little confused about the purpose of this thread.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Jane12
Groupie

Thanks to everyone who has responded to the poll! This has been very enlightening.

Last edited by Jane12; 10-17-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
After resisting it for a long time, I finally followed Hitch's advice to upload epubs to the KDP. I have mostly worked in html, and if I use Word for any reason I convert it to html at the word2cleanhtml.com website. I have developed a fairly comprehensive style sheet, which I add to the word2clean file (which does require some checking). I then open the html in Sigil and build a good epub with cover, metadata, and TOC. I then upload that epub to the various retailers including Amazon KDP.

So I really never touch a mobi file at all, never mind Calibre (which, as others have said, won't make it past the KDP Kopz in some instances).
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:58 AM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
After resisting it for a long time, I finally followed Hitch's advice to upload epubs to the KDP. I have mostly worked in html, and if I use Word for any reason I convert it to html at the word2cleanhtml.com website. I have developed a fairly comprehensive style sheet, which I add to the word2clean file (which does require some checking). I then open the html in Sigil and build a good epub with cover, metadata, and TOC. I then upload that epub to the various retailers including Amazon KDP.

So I really never touch a mobi file at all, never mind Calibre (which, as others have said, won't make it past the KDP Kopz in some instances).
Be still my beating heart.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote