Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
automa
Zealot
automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I added in the table of contents on Sigil

The books that I read are free .ePub /.mobi files downloaded from Google Books and Archive.org. But it downloads with terribly constructed table of contents with most chapters missing. So I tried going over a book in Sigil and made the table of contents by highlighting each book, chapters and sections and clicking on heading1, 2, 3 respectively. But I don't know how to input the new .ePub file into my Stanza. I just synced my iPhone to iTunes to see if that would update my .ePub file, but no. Also one thing is I would like to preserve the highlightings that I made on the .ePub file while reading it on Stanza.

How do I get the newly ePub file that were edited with updated table of contents in my Stanza, and could I do this without it deleting the highlights?
automa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Just remove the old epub from your reader, and then add it again as you did previously. If you use Calibre, remove and re-import the book. Then use Calibre to remove and add the book again.

Edit: highlights will probably be removed when you delete the book. They would probably be of no use anyway, because the new book has a new layout; the highlights will refer to locations that have been moved.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-29-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Be aware that ePub TOC created by Sigil is a meta file that is not part of the book. It is referenced in a separate file. Mobi needs an inline TOC that is part of the book and Sigil will not automatically create it. Using Calibre to convert the ePub to mobi will create this inline TOC or you can create it manually in Sigil by just modifying the existing inline TOC if present or build a new page in the book and build a new one using html links. (href)

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you mean a separate file within the epub, or a file alongside? I've got quite some epubs, but they are just one file, while still containing a proper TOC. (I don't mean just HTML links, but a TOC that's treated as such by the reader.)
Old 01-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Do you mean a separate file within the epub, or a file alongside? I've got quite some epubs, but they are just one file, while still containing a proper TOC. (I don't mean just HTML links, but a TOC that's treated as such by the reader.)
Inside the ePub in a file usually called toc.ncx thus it is not in the flow of the doucment which is made up of .xhtml files (sometimes with extensions of html or htm). No epub is really just one file although they may have the eBook content in one file. They can be unzipped if you wish to see the contents.

Dale
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, if you mean it that way, then the TOC is indeed in a separate file (but still inside the EPUB archive). I think that most people will refer to EPUB books as just being one file though, not knowing that it actually is a renamed zip-archive with other files inside Therefore if you refer to "seperate files", that may cause confusion.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Yes, if you mean it that way, then the TOC is indeed in a separate file (but still inside the EPUB archive). I think that most people will refer to EPUB books as just being one file though, not knowing that it actually is a renamed zip-archive with other files inside Therefore if you refer to "seperate files", that may cause confusion.
Indeed. But the original poster said:
Quote:
The books that I read are free .ePub /.mobi files downloaded from Google Books and Archive.org.
which included both ePub and Mobi files. I wanted to ensure he/she understood the difference in that TOC is inline with the book on Mobi files but not inline with the book on ePub books. Sorry if I confused you by saying it was a different file.

Dale
Old 01-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

No matter; I didn't really know the difference between the two TOC's myself

I just create the EPUB's with Sigil, convert the stuff to other formats using Calibre, and it always works. I've never given it a second thought to be honest