Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #31
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do like British humor. But that book was just well.. cute at best. No real laughs.
Many people, me included, would disagree with you. Probably many would agree. It'd be a boring world if we all felt the same about everything
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #32
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Hunters, hikers, campers and fishermen will enjoy Patrick McManus. If you don't enjoy any of these activities don't bother, you won't "get it". His books from the 80s are great but then he starts repeating himself.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #33
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Depending how well you know the classics (Austen, Bronte, Dickens etc) you could well enjoy Jasper Fforde. I find him hilarious and SO clever. Start at the beginning of the series with "The Eyre Affair".

The books take place in a parallel Bookworld. Someone has kidnapped Jane Eyre out of the book and Thursday Next has to try to sort it all out.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #34
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm not an New Yorker, and not even American, but the late S J Perelman can still cause me to laugh out loud. His description of a meal in a Malayan hotel just after WW2 still produces belly laughs, and I can't read it out loud to an audience without me-and all of us-breaking up.

His Cloudland Revisited series of items - hilarious middle-aged reunions with sensational books that thrilled him in his teens - ought to go down well here, as the books themselves are nearly all on this site, and you can read them and see for yourself.

Tarzan of the Apes, by ERB : Rockabye Viscount in the Treetop.
Graustark, by George Barr McCutcheon: How Ruritanian Can You Get?
Three Weeks, by Elinor Glyn: Tuberoses and Tigers.
The Mystery of Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer: Why, Doctor, What big green eyes you have.
The Sheik, by E M Hull: Into Your Tent I'll Creep.
Black Oxen, by Gertrude Atherton: Lady, Play Your Endocrines.
Relenishing Jessica, by Maxwell Bodehmeim: Great Aches from little Boudoirs Grow.

and a few more from that period.

He also had fun with Spicy Detective, Captain Future and several other pulp magazines, and spoofed Raymond Chandler private eye stories(he knew Chandler).
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #35
layers
layers began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Alright. Three men in a boat IS funny. I actually laughed for good 10 min at places.

Is there anything similar to it? The type of humour where you say “Begin with breakfast.” (George is so practical.) “Now for breakfast we shall want a frying-pan” – (Harris said it was indigestible; but we merely urged him not to be an ass, and George went on)..."
layers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Depending how well you know the classics (Austen, Bronte, Dickens etc) you could well enjoy Jasper Fforde. I find him hilarious and SO clever. Start at the beginning of the series with "The Eyre Affair".
I found the first one mildly amusing, but it does get a little repetitive after a while.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #37
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
"Some Experiences of an Irish R.M." by Somerville & Ross ........................

Blissful.....also heavenly.....and hilarious .

And timeless.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #38
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
For slapstick humour along the lines of 'Allo, 'Allo anything by Tom Sharpe would qualify. Several of his books are now available as ebooks. For more subtle and intellectual humour I find both David Nobbs and David Lodge well worth reading.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #39
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Spike Milligan's war memoirs, starting with "Adolf Hitler: My Part in his Downfall".

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #40
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
No one's mentioned Evelyn Waugh's hilarious and macabre take on the American funeral industry, The Loved One, so clearly I must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artig View Post
For slapstick humour along the lines of 'Allo, 'Allo anything by Tom Sharpe would qualify. Several of his books are now available as ebooks. For more subtle and intellectual humour I find both David Nobbs and David Lodge well worth reading.
Since I love Messrs Sharpe and Lodge, I have to take your recommendation of David Nobbs very seriously! Thanks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #41
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
There are quite a few David Nobbs books to choose from. The first 3 books in the Henry Pratt series are available in a single volume as The Complete Pratt. Volume 4 is Pratt a Manger. Amongst his later works are Going Gently, It Had To Be You, and Sex and Other Changes. Currently I'm reading A Bit of a Do and Fair Do's, which were made as a TV series many years ago. Unfortunately they don't seem to be available on DVD.

Being a fan of the radio series My Word and My Music with (amongst others) Frank Muir and Denis Norden I was surprised to learn recently that Frank Muir had written a novel, The Walpole Orange, shortly before he died. It's well worth a read for the wit and humour. His Oxford Book of Humorous Prose is somewhat older, and probably not available as an ebook. It contains a good selection of humorous prose from about 400 years of English literature.

Another of my favourite humorous authors is Peter Ustinov. His autobiography, Dear Me, and at least one of his novels are available as ebooks.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:30 AM   #42
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Does my current job description count???

I don't think I have really read anything funny. Bravemouth by Pamela Stephenson (book about her husband Billy Connolly) was entertaining, and is probably the closest to 'funniest' as I can get.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:24 AM   #43
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by missimpossible View Post
...anything by Terry Pratchett (apart from The Last Continent).
Oh, yeah, definitively Pratchett. Most of his works, at least. The Long Earth isn't very funny (but still an OK read, if not as good as his earlier work).

Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman is probably the funniest I've read. I was laughing out loud, and someone asked me what I was reading. I tried to explain (the end of the world as described in the Bible, angels and demons and Antichrist (except not quite)), and realized halfway through that the person I was talking with was very Christian and very much Not Amused

Quote:
25 And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying 'Where is the flaming sword that was given unto thee?'
26 And the Angel said, 'I had it here only a moment ago, I must have put it down some where, forget my own head next.'
27 And the Lord did not ask him again.
Have you read Saki? Very dry humour, and great language.

Quote:
“After all,” said the Duchess vaguely, “there are certain things you can’t get away from. Right and wrong, good conduct and moral rectitude, have certain well-defined limits.”

“So, for the matter of that,” replied Reginald, “has the Russian Empire. The trouble is that the limits are not always in the same place.”
Team Human (first chapter here) by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan is really funny if you like vampire books, or hate vampire books (but probably not if you're meh to vampire books).
Quote:
“He could be a vampire.”

“Yeah, I can see it,” I said. “He moves with the predatory grace of a penguin.”
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #44
layers
layers began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Does my current job description count???
Are you a US congressman or a menopausal elephant scientist?
layers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #45
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Here's one that should be right up your alley.

M.A.S.H. (the first book). They had to clean up parts of it to make the movie (and that was in 1970, when anything went....Except Shaking Sammy.)

If you like epigrams, check out Helen Rowland at Project Gutenberg. I'd recommend you start with Reflections of a Bachelor Girl.

If you can tolerate really bad writing, you could try my The Case of the Golden Coprolite here in the Patrica Clarke library.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote