Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
mrannah
mrannah began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
html to kindle conversion, adding TOC when i already have one

I am trying to convert some html files converted from text...i have built tables of contents in the file, but Calibre is picking other places with headers and building a second table of contents and randomly picking one of the items it selects for a beginning point.

Not asking for anything major, but is there any group of settings i can use to have it not do this and still apply the table of contents i've made?

Some of the files i'm working with are rather small, at first i thought that was the problem, but it has been creeping up with larger files, too, lately.
mrannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Daniel_09
Daniel_09 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Under "MOBI Output" in the convert window is the check box "Do not add Table of Contents to book". Have you checked this option?
Daniel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
BRGriff
Connoisseur
BRGriff began at the beginning.

Daniel_09's suggestion is NOT going to make any difference. Calibre creates an inline TOC for .mobi/Kindle conversions whether you want it or not. Calibre previously had an option in Preferences to disable the inline TOC but it was removed because the PC Kindle reader would not recognize the document.

As for myself, I could care less about the PC Kindle reader. If I did, I would not select to use the disable function. Personally, I would like to have the option of disabling the inline TOC.

As it stands, I am probably pissing in the wind to get that option reinstated unless enough people express an interest in it.
BRGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGriff View Post
Daniel_09's suggestion is NOT going to make any difference. Calibre creates an inline TOC for .mobi/Kindle conversions whether you want it or not.
Strange. Calibre v0.8.5 still has that option. I've just converted an epub to mobi with "Do not add Table of Contents to book" checked and there is no inline TOC in the new mobi.
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
BRGriff
Connoisseur
BRGriff began at the beginning.

atjnjk,

I must eat crow and render my humble apology to Daniel_9 and mrannah for any confusion I have caused. Thank you for pointing out my error.

What I said ONLY applies to conversions of news articles or other downloads via a recipe, in which case clicking the "Do not add Table of Contents to book" has no effect whatsoever and can not be changed by the user at the present. Previously, Calibre did allow application of the removal of such a TOC from downloads but no longer does so.

What I said does NOT apply to the conversion of books already existing in one format or another and being converted to a MOBI format. I tried it with a downloaded article that had a TOC. Once downloaded, I converted it to an EPUB and then using "Do not add Table of Contents to book" converted it back to a MOBI. The TOC WAS removed just as you said.

Thank you for catching this and bringing it to my attention. Again I regret any confusion I may have caused.

Last edited by BRGriff; 06-18-2011 at 12:59 PM.
BRGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
mrannah
mrannah began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
ok, just tried that...and while it does work, insomuch as not putting a table of contents of its own in (and incidentally, leaving the 'beginning' at the start of the book), and while it does not interfere with the function of the table of contents i created, it does not flag my table of contents as such, therefore in the kindle the 'go to' does not recognize any table of contents. strangely, i perosnally view this as still an improvement over having two TOC, one of which i have no control over. thank you
mrannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:31 AM   #7
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrannah View Post
it does not flag my table of contents as such, therefore in the kindle the 'go to' does not recognize any table of contents.
You could convert html2epub, edit the epub (read this; or use Sigil to open the epub > right click on the xhtml file that contains your created TOC > Add Semantics > Table of Contents > Save), then convert epub2mobi.
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote