Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
andyd273
andyd273 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nested Ordered Lists

Or, can I have an ordered list with a nested list inside with alpha instead of numeric?

a.
b.

Tried this, didn't work.

<ol>
<li></li>
<li></li>
<ol style="list-style-type:lower-alpha;">
<li></li>
<li></li>
</ol>
<li></li>
</ol>

the lower alpha list shows up as numbers instead.
is there a better way to do this?
andyd273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
If you want help you might want to include little things like what format you are trying to do this with and what steps you are using.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
andyd273

I'll be converting the HTML to both Mobi and EPub. I'll use KindleGen for the Mobi, and Calibre for the EPub.

Unless there is a better way to do it.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd273 View Post
I'll be converting the HTML to both Mobi and EPub. I'll use KindleGen for the Mobi, and Calibre for the EPub.
That will help people with experience focus their help.

Quote:
Unless there is a better way to do it.
I don't know if there are better ways. You might want to ask for help from the experts in the mobi and epub forums.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Mobi (or at least Kindle Mobi) doesn't support anything but numbered ordered lists. And even ePub can be quite flaky (different results for different readers) with how nested ordered lists including both alpha and numeric combinations are handled.

The better solution is to forget about the <ol> and <li> tags and just hard-code your outline the way you want it to look.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-17-2011 at 08:45 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
andyd273

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The better solution is to forget about the <ol> and <li> tags and just hard-code your outline the way you want it to look.
Ok, I can understand that. Whats the best method to get the proper indent?
I know they can be picky about things like tables...
I could do something like

<blockquote>
<p>1.</p>
<p>2.</p>
<p>3.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>a.</p>
<p>b.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>4.</p>
</blockquote>

but I dunno if they can handle that level of complexity.
Can Mobi and EPub handle something like <p style='text-indent:10px;'> or padding-left:10px;?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Ok, I can understand that. Whats the best method to get the proper indent?
I know they can be picky about things like tables...
I could do something like

<blockquote>
<p>1.</p>
<p>2.</p>
<p>3.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>a.</p>
<p>b.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>4.</p>
</blockquote>

but I dunno if they can handle that level of complexity.
Can Mobi and EPub handle something like <p style='text-indent:10px;'> or padding-left:10px;?
Nested Blockquotes seem to work for me.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
ePub can handle that, but text-indent would only affect the first line of a paragraph (yes, each outline entry would probably only need one line, but you never know when the user increases the font size)... so it's probably better to use the margin-left style property (inline or CSS).

As for MOBI, whatever style (inline or CSS) you give a paragraph in your source (x)html needs to be translated/converted to an HTML 3.2 attribute in the finished product. MOBI is limited to a subset of HTML 3.2 and doesn't support CSS at all. So "text-indent" is translated to the "width" property:
Code:
<p width="1.0em">blah, blah, blah</p>
by calibre's or kindlegen's conversion process. The "margin-left" attribute is converted to a <blockquote> section (nested to achieve the required level of indentation).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
If you use "padding-left:x" and "text-indent: -x", it would work as you want in ePub and mobi (at least in all the ereaders I have tried it).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
andyd273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
If you use "padding-left:x" and "text-indent: -x", it would work as you want in ePub and mobi (at least in all the ereaders I have tried it).
Only really concerned with Kindle, Nook and iBooks at the moment. So good to hear.
Off to try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So "text-indent" is translated to the "width" property:
Code:
<p width="1.0em">blah, blah, blah</p>
by calibre's or kindlegen's conversion process.
Useful information. And I always seem to forget about em measurements. That'll be useful for ebooks since the font is so likely to be re-sized.

Tags
epub, mobi, ordered list