Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
WiFi, ethernet in Kindle II?

I was poking through recent blog posts on the Kindle and came across some interesting posts on a job website--apparently Amazon is hiring more people to work on the Kindle. One of the posts (which had expired but I got it from the Google cache) was for a software development engineer. It included this line:

"We're also have the responsibility to provide frameworks and tools for integration with other wireless networks (e.g. WiFi) and tethered network solutions (Ethernet, USB, etc)."

This makes me wonder if WiFi or ethernet connectivity (or both) are planned for the next generation of Kindle.

The URL for the Google cache is incredibly long and I don't want to paste it in here, but searching on [Amazon Kindle "Network Services Team"] (without the square brackets) brings it up as the top hit if you want to check for yourselves.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Here is the link. The job listing was just posted today.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for figuring out how to put up the link.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Interesting that this was posted more than two years ago. I guess that we have the answer now. And it took this engineer two years to figure out how to put Wi-Fi on a Kindle?
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I also think this is a very interesting post. The original poster was 100% correct. I think the delay was unrelated to any technical stuff.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
catsittingstill
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
Interesting that this was posted more than two years ago. I guess that we have the answer now. And it took this engineer two years to figure out how to put Wi-Fi on a Kindle?
Maybe 2 years to figure out how to make it work with everything else... Plus you've got to figure there would be a lag in hiring time. So no, 2 years doesn't particularly surprise me.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Development takes time. Interesting small insight into how Amazon works.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote