Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #46
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
That's what bookstore cafes are made for

Very good points above though, and I am not saying that the Kindle is not useful in saving money, but most savings would be the same whatever ebook device you are using - and my impression was that the original post referred specifically to the Kindle since I saw other people extolling that Kindle saves money over say Sony 500 since you get to buy a bestseller for 10$ vs 12-15$ at Books on Board...

Regarding finishing books, I am not sure that having 3 chapters as samples helps, at least not in my case - since there are always many more books of interest to me than available time, and while sometimes I try to impose an austerity budget and buy only what I really, really will read next, it works for a week or two and then I still find myself buying the next 5 books of interest anyway, reading 3 and adding 2 to the growing to read pile...
I wasn't talking about Kindle savings vs. other readers. I was talking about Kindle vs. no reader. I only own a Kindle and I was talking about my personal experience. I may be less likely to buy in advance with the Kindle just because it's very quick and easy to get a book after I'm done with the sample but I don't know how big that difference would be with a different device. I still think they would give me a savings over my bookstore habit.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #47
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusfp View Post
1. Plastic Logic isn't likely to be competing head to head with PVI (at least at first). In Volume or Applications.
2. Plastic Logic, being a new technology with perceived benefits over glass tft's (and probably lower yields), is likely to be much more expensive and not price competitive with PVI.
3. Regardless of the drive electronics, the electrophoretic imaging film is coming from E Ink either way.

I wouldn't pin your hopes on Plastic Logic being able to introduce price competition for these displays.
I wouldnt be so sure about that. They use a very different production technique which is alot cheaper that what PVI does. And its competition nevertheless. So i hope you are wrong but it could be that you are right aswell.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My concern about flexible screens is their durability. I'm definitely not going to be a "guinea pig" when it comes to this technology.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #49
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I wasn't talking about Kindle savings vs. other readers. I was talking about Kindle vs. no reader. I only own a Kindle and I was talking about my personal experience. I may be less likely to buy in advance with the Kindle just because it's very quick and easy to get a book after I'm done with the sample but I don't know how big that difference would be with a different device. I still think they would give me a savings over my bookstore habit.
I understood in the second post and as mentioned I completely agree that having an e-book device that works for you is very helpful including cost-wise. Though I do not think that cost savings by themselves justify buying a Kindle or whatever, but the many advantages of comfortably reading ebooks.

Since I got the Ebookwise about 3 years ago or so, I cannot imagine not having an e-book reader - now the 770 and the Sony work nicely for me, but I am always interested in what devices appear since the 770 is already getting tired after 2+ years of extensive use.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #50
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
I understood in the second post and as mentioned I completely agree that having an e-book device that works for you is very helpful including cost-wise. Though I do not think that cost savings by themselves justify buying a Kindle or whatever, but the many advantages of comfortably reading ebooks.
Absolutely. I'm glad I'm saving money but I didn't think I would. That was the point of my original post. When I made the decision to buy it, I thought of it as a luxury and didn't think that it would save me money at all. I figured I'd be lucky to break even but the convenience was worth a premium. With this economic climate, people might be more inclined to give it a shot if they thought they'd save money but it's not readily apparent that you will. At any rate, if the money is really tight for folks, the library and their friends' bookshelves are still a better bet.
Advert
Old 06-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #51
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Look at the bright side of the "high cost of gas". Pbooks still have to be shipped, i.e. as gas prices go up, pbook prices must also go up. Ebook shipping, on the other hand doesn't need gas, just electrons & bits so their cost should remain constant.
Deffently. I have clients that are going ballistic on cost of a box of paper. Was about 19 last year and now even on sale at 29! And thats for the cheep stuff. Eat 1 to 2 box a months and have fun.

Have seen over the last few downturns that entrainment does not suffer. Esp games and movies etc. Sony and the others need to come at the problem of acceptance's at a different angle.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #52
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The current batch of eink devices doesn't have good software to support the educational market. NONE of them will do. They would need to be at least 9.7" screen sized and the software would need to be considerably better in order to do what is needed to be done. So as it stands, even if the book were in some other format then PDF, they would still not work. The hardware for most is not good enough either. The iLiad while the closest so far doesn't even cut it. Battery life needs to be significantly increased. IMHO, I think the reader would need to be retooled from the ground up and then the software written to handle the new hardware and do it right. But that would take a lot of development time and I don't think anyone will be doing that any time soon.
Never thought I would see the day that WEEKS of battery life is not enough. Must demand more. How American.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #53
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I doubt that a device used for constant annotations, cross-referencing, note taking, etc. would get "weeks" of battery life. Please consider posts in context; JSWolf is speaking of the educational market, not of general novel reading, and nothing in his post is "American" vs. your own no doubt vastly superior culture.

I find your post ignorant and needlessly insulting.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #54
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
Never thought I would see the day that WEEKS of battery life is not enough.
Weeks of life would be enough, but JSWolf is talking about the iLiad (10-15 hrs of battery life). The 9.7" Astak specs are for a "5000 screen refresh" battery life, but that is presumably with no WiFi and no stylus use. It will also have a 2100mAh battery, which is large for an E-Ink reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #55
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Very interesting discussion, to which I will add my own observation. Most readers who own computers see no need for eink readers, since they can buy or download for free ebooks of all kinds and read them on a desktop or pda or phone. To them a screen is a screen: they have one on the computer and they see no need to try another, a pity to be sure, since you can't appreciate an eink screen unless you actually go to the trouble of using one.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:31 AM   #56
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
Very interesting discussion, to which I will add my own observation. Most readers who own computers see no need for eink readers, since they can buy or download for free ebooks of all kinds and read them on a desktop or pda or phone. To them a screen is a screen: they have one on the computer and they see no need to try another, a pity to be sure, since you can't appreciate an eink screen unless you actually go to the trouble of using one.
I want to add. There are people who wished for a eInk screen for they laptop. Its currently not feasible, because of the refresh times, and current software doesn't cater for slow displays. But I got already people who when handed my iLiad, their first questions was: So you can read directly in the sun with it? Can I use it as external screen to my laptop?

Last edited by axel77; 06-17-2008 at 07:14 AM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #57
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

You need a backlit screen for phones and laptops. Eink for the moment is not backlit.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #58
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
You need a backlit screen for phones and laptops.
Why? Because geeks are used to live in dark rooms?
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #59
radleyp
Evangelist

I think the answer should be pretty obvious: you often use a phone (or pda) where there is poor lighting (in a car or a hallway, for example), either to make a call or just check something in the calendar, so you need a backlight. Phones and pda's are not designed primarily for reading.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #60
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
I think the answer should be pretty obvious: you often use a phone (or pda) where there is poor lighting (in a car or a hallway, for example), either to make a call or just check something in the calendar, so you need a backlight. Phones and pda's are not designed primarily for reading.
Most of the time when I use my phone, laptop or PDA, I have adequate lighting. When I want to use any of them outside (a frequent occurrence with my phone) it's actually quite hard to see the backlit screen. I'd rather have a reflective screen and more battery life for all of them and then have a little front light I could turn on just when I needed it.

Tags
e-paper, pvi