Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
What do blogs look like on the Kindle?

Right now I'm thinking about publishing my blog on the Kindle, and I have a few questions.

I've looked at the preview, and it's not very pretty. There's no TOC or basic formatting like page breaks before each blog post. Does the published version have the TOC?

What do think of the quality of a blog on the Kindle vs on the web?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here's a screenshot from Gizmodo. My AT&T connection is too sucky for a decent web experience, so I don't normally look at blogs on the KDXG.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-8443.gif
Views:	389
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	55788  
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Thanks.

That looks just like the preview. Ick.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
How long would you say that page took to load?
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
I subscribe to about 30 blogs and after trying to make them work the way I want in Calibre, I determined that blogs on an e-reader just plain suck.

It downloaded the header of each blog whether there was a new post for that blog that day or not. It wasn't completely reliable either. It paginated the pictures wierd.

So I went back to reading my blogs on Google reader.
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Also, you're charged a delivery fee, right? Does any money go to the blogger?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
That looks just like the preview. Ick.
Yep, and that's why i don't do blogs on the Kindle. Well one reason anyway.

Quote:
How long would you say that page took to load?
I didn't time it, but it took a while. But I think a lot of the problem lies with the lackluster AT&T coverage at my home. I'm in a huge metro area (Dallas/Fort Worth) but cellular coverage here with AT&T sucks. As far the Kindle, it rarely shows 3G, and it rarely shows as many as 3 bars. (Neither does my BB or Donna's Nokia phone.) When I download books I often get a failed to connect message. Once again, I don't blame the Kindle, I put the blame on a terrible AT&T network that has been crippled by too many lousy iPhones.

Quote:
Also, you're charged a delivery fee, right? Does any money go to the blogger?
I'm not aware of any delivery fees, but there is a subscription fee. Just like books, I'm sure part goes to the blog owner and part to Amazon. I think Gizmodo blog costs $1.99 USD per month. Too much in my opinion when I can see it free on the internet.

Having said all that...

I bought my KDXG for reading and not blogging, browsing, Facebooking, etc. I love it for reading, and I don't care about the other Swiss Army Knife crap they included.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-27-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Thank you for the information. I think we all need to remind ourselves that these Kindle devices are intended as a single purpose device for reading. It is not a shortcoming. That behavior is by design. Browsing on handheld/mobile devices is still in its infancy. Most websites are still optimized for resolutions that only large LCD displays can deliver.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
kindlematic
Enthusiast
kindlematic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
For those of you interested in rss and/or blogs, I suggest you have a look at Instapaper.com (compatible with Google Reader) and feedbooks.com - which will allow you to create your selection of news sources and then download it directly from the kindle, wirelessly in .mobi format anytime, with no additional charges.
kindlematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
zetareticuli
Addict

Kindlematic, are you liking the DXG more now? Have you worked around some of the issues you were having with PDF?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I'm happy I read this, because I almost chose a Kindle for its ability to display blogs. Looks like I'm not missing out.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
kindlematic
Enthusiast
kindlematic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Kindlematic, are you liking the DXG more now? Have you worked around some of the issues you were having with PDF?
Well - every day I learn a new trick, which is great. I just wish serif fonts looked crisper, as I have loads of document using them. Apparently not that many people either care or notice such defect. Hopefully your software development will help
kindlematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlematic View Post
Well - every day I learn a new trick, which is great. I just wish serif fonts looked crisper, as I have loads of document using them. Apparently not that many people either care or notice such defect. Hopefully your software development will help
There is a font hack that is easy to do and you can substitute your favorite fonts. I like sans serif when reading on computers or ebook readers, so I use Arial Rounded MT Bold. It makes the text a lot easier to read. See sample page attached.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jswinden-fonts.gif
Views:	236
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	55801