Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Sideloading with Kindle app?

I was reading another thread, which indicated that you can sideload on the Kindle app for Android. If true, is this already possible with other Kindle apps? If so, would someone please post or point to directions?

If it's possible with the Android app, but not the iPad app, are there some kinda tech hurdles? If it's technically possible relatively easily, and Amazon just hasn't added it, I'd like to lobby Amazon for such a feature.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I know some say it's possible by placing mobi files in certain directories, I have never done it nor want to. I prefer ePub when possible.....

There is really no motivation for Amazon to allow books not bought from them to be read on their App. For Android it is not an Amazon supported feature, but simply bypassing the interface and sticking the files in the right folder......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
The iPhone/iPad app will accept side loaded files as well in the sense that the app will read any non-DRM 'mobi' file placed in the right folder. Unfortunately, you can't place access the iPhone/iPad internal folders unless the iPhone or iPad is jailbroken. The iPhone/iPad app will not side load through iTunes.

(I have recently seen an application--iPhone Explorer?--which says that if iTunes is installed on you computer, it can access the iPhone file system. I haven't tried it, so I don't know whether you can use it to side-load files to he Kindle app.)
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I know some say it's possible by placing mobi files in certain directories, I have never done it nor want to. I prefer ePub when possible.....

There is really no motivation for Amazon to allow books not bought from them to be read on their App. For Android it is not an Amazon supported feature, but simply bypassing the interface and sticking the files in the right folder......
Yes, I was hoping Amazon might offer anyway, because they do on Kindles themselves. Maybe sideloading might turn into a feature that's a selling point for one app vs. another, which would get you to spend more time (and maybe more money) in one store vs. another. I tried lobbying B&N for it. I figure nothing to lose by asking.

I want Amazon or B&N to offer such a feature, because if they do, it probably will be very easy -- for a tech 'tard like me, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:25 AM   #5
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Quote:
I have never done it nor want to. I prefer ePub when possible.....
I want to read only epub in my Touch, I really do. I find only Stanza that is capable to read epub and nice to use. (No iBooks for me, still on 3.12). I like Stanza's full customization and coverflow. But the way Stanza ignore some of css instruction in epub is really annoying. Also, it seems like there is no easy way to extract notes and annotation.

So here is what I do: I sideloaded converted mobi to kindle app folder. It reads all formatting and css instruction quite nicely. And then when I'm done reading, I just copy those file along with its mbp file extension which is containing annotation and notes back to my computer. That way, I have my annotation safely backed up.
Not perfect methods, but I prefer it that way.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I really would recommend that you upgrade your iPod Touch to iOS4; it's a very worthwhile improvement, and it gives you access to iBooks, which is an extremely nice reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really would recommend that you upgrade your iPod Touch to iOS4; it's a very worthwhile improvement, and it gives you access to iBooks, which is an extremely nice reader.
Already done that. And although I must admit it is pretty nice app, but still no orientation lock (update 1.1.1 doesn't seems to add this feature), so back to 3.1.2 and jailbroken for me.

I really hate it when I want to concentrate to read while lying in bed but have to worry every single time about ibooks changing its orientation :
Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimeesermann View Post
Already done that. And although I must admit it is pretty nice app, but still no orientation lock (update 1.1.1 doesn't seems to add this feature), so back to 3.1.2 and jailbroken for me.

I really hate it when I want to concentrate to read while lying in bed but have to worry every single time about ibooks changing its orientation :
iBooks will likely never have an orientation lock because iOS4 has a systemwide lock and iPads have a physical lock switch. The move seems to be away from each app having its own lock switch.

What generation of Touch do you have? If it's from last fall or more recent (other than the 8GB model, which carries over an older hardware design), iOS4 would give you access to the lock by double-clicking the Home button and then swiping the list of recent apps that appears at the bottom to the left.

On an older device, there is no multitasking and Apple has kept the MRU app interface, including the orientation lock, off of these devices for some strange reason.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur

Quote:
What generation of Touch do you have?
That's the thing. I have an iPod Touch "3G" 8gb. So no screen orientation lock. I guess I have to wait till there is easier method to jailbreak on iOS4. Current method is still scary for me I guess
Old 07-31-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've updated my post in the calibre forum about sideloading MOBI files into the Kindle for iPad app without jailbreaking. It's not simple, but it is possible.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #11
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
I've updated my post in the calibre forum about sideloading MOBI files into the Kindle for iPad app without jailbreaking. It's not simple, but it is possible.

G
Hey thanks, it works well