Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
They'll see an increase in orders. Many who were interested in the NOOK because of Netflix will have another reason to consider Amazon. Unless they're die hard .epub only folks or rooters.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #17
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
I do, probably because I have already an android tablet. But it does specify "Kindle Fire" when I run a search on "epub". And so far, Aldiko is the only app I found with an "x" instead of checkmark

It's right under the "Buy now with 1-click"
Ah, I don't own an Android device, and I don't have a "Buy now with 1-click" button for any apps. Instead, app product pages on my computer have a "Get this app" button with a box to enter a mobile number or email address.

It'd be nice to be able to see all the apps that are available for Fire before purchasing the device. There's a Some of Our Favorite Kindle Fire Apps page at Amazon, but that doesn't show many.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #18
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Aldiko, Kobo and Mantano are all available from the Amazon Appstore. That means you should easily be able to install them on the Fire.

I sent Amazon an email back in September regarding the lack of good comic readers in the Amazon Appstore (Perfect Viewier, in particular) and how they should reach out to developers to submit their apps to Amazon. Less than a month later, Perfect Viewer (albeit costs $3) was available.
Yes, but I don't think that every app on the Amazon Appstore will be available for the Kindle Fire. For example, apps that use the camera(s) and GPS probably won't be.

I'm a big fan of Aldiko, and I would like to see it on the Kindle Fire. My wife is leaning towards getting a KF for Christmas
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
They'll see an increase in orders. Many who were interested in the NOOK because of Netflix will have another reason to consider Amazon. Unless they're die hard .epub only folks or rooters.
Not unless they bump up the storage and add a card reader. Streaming is nice, but requires wifi.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Yes, but I don't think that every app on the Amazon Appstore will be available for the Kindle Fire. For example, apps that use the camera(s) and GPS probably won't be.
For obvious reasons, apps requiring hardware not present on the Fire probably won't work but aside from those, Amazon has already said in an earlier press release that apps available on the Amazon Appstore should work fine on the Fire.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #21
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not unless they bump up the storage and add a card reader. Streaming is nice, but requires wifi.
Possibly for a handful of folks within that target market who are spec driven. But if it's a basic choice between Amazon's stuff and B&N's stuff, there's no match up.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
This gives me hope! Mantano is my reading app. I just need Mantano, Dropbox and ES File Explorer to work. Sideloading apps would be a plus!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
I went into the Apps store and when you click on
Mantano ereader: check mark with "Kindle Fire" noted as my device;
Aldiko ereader: X marked with "Kindle Fire" marked.

I really really hope they've just overlooked it, as I love using Aldiko ...
Could you check ES File Explorer and see if it has a check by it?
Old 11-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #24
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
For obvious reasons, apps requiring hardware not present on the Fire probably won't work but aside from those, Amazon has already said in an earlier press release that apps available on the Amazon Appstore should work fine on the Fire.
Yes, they should work fine. But, they haven't confirmed that they would all be available!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #25
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
My wife ordered one today

Now I get to play with it too
Old 11-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:

Tell her congrats. I will order mine as soon as hubby gets the rest of the money on my card. I am hoping this weekend so I will have it when it comes out.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #27
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's funny to me that you keep predicting failure for the Fire.

Hundreds of thousands of pre-orders -- a number that will easily surpass 7 digits over the holiday season -- say, you're in the minority.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #28
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I really look for ward to trying this out next to my iPad. I love the amazon ecosystem as much as I love apple ecosystem. So I look forward to the best of both worlds. But I'm more curious about trying out the smaller device. Not that I don't like the iPad size, I love it, but just so I get a better sense of what something different feels like.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #29
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:

Did you warn her about the lack of SD card slot and 8Gb of storage?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #30
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I really look for ward to trying this out next to my iPad. I love the amazon ecosystem as much as I love apple ecosystem. So I look forward to the best of both worlds. But I'm more curious about trying out the smaller device. Not that I don't like the iPad size, I love it, but just so I get a better sense of what something different feels like.
I love my Ipad, but holding with one hand is difficult (and I've weight trained for 30 years). I think the smaller size will be ideal. I actually would like to have both a smaller tablet and a larger one than the ipad, but perhaps the 2012 Ipad HD will serve that purpose (seeking something better for full size magazines and comic books).
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote