Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Free Holocaust Memoir

In Shattered Crystals, Mia Amalia Kanner recounts the true story of her desperate struggle to save her family from annihilation in Nazi Germany and war-torn France. Yet this is much more than a Holocaust history. It is about a courageous Jewish woman who, on finding herself destitute, becomes a cook in a home for war-displaced Jewish children. She faces an agonizing choice. Is giving up her three young daughters necessary to save their lives? Mia's odyssey is also a love story of a remarkable woman who secures her husband's release from Buchenwald concentration camp. Then, during the darkest days of the war, he is arrested in France. Now she must find a way to save him from deportation to the death camps. Before Hitler, they had been an ordinary family. As Mia and her husband face ever increasing danger and persecution, readers find themselves asking, “What would I have done?”

Available as PDF with maps and photos from the author's website here and in text-only versions in various formats at Feedbooks and Manybooks.

It's a really good read -- exciting (and occasionally harrowing), written more like a novel than a dry history. (I can say that, as I'm just the copy-editor, not the author! ) Enjoy!
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As the copy-editor, is there any chance this books could be made as an ePub edition? I would like to read it, but because it's PDF, it won't read all that well on my 505 unless the PDF is made for the 505's screen size. And for a book line this, the text only versions will loose way too much to be worth bothering with. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
I went to the authors site and found this link:
<http://manybooks.net/titles/kannermaother09SHATTERED_CRYSTALS.html>. You can download many formats from here including epub. I chose .lit and the file looks good.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Sorry, I'm new and don't know how to post a link correctly. The way I did it works for Outlook. Just copy the address to your browser. And it's "author's site".
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As the copy-editor, is there any chance this books could be made as an ePub edition? I would like to read it, but because it's PDF, it won't read all that well on my 505 unless the PDF is made for the 505's screen size. And for a book line this, the text only versions will loose way too much to be worth bothering with. Thanks.
Unfortunately, since my PC is running linux, I don't have access to a decent epub editor. I've tried running it through Calibre, and the photos just come out too big for a reader's screen (I've tested it on my Bebook). If anyone else on Mobileread has the technology, and would like to convert it, I'd be very pleased!

Having said that, the text-only version is a really good read -- you'll miss out on photos of the family at various ages, but they're all on the author's web site, and the story's perfectly understandable without them. I recommend the version from Feedbooks as the best formatted for epub.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
photon17
Enthusiast
photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Too many
carandol,
Thanks for posting this. I look forward to reading it.
photon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:25 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
good read
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You'll be pleased to hear that Christine over at finding-free-ebooks.blogspot.com has volunteered to produce illustrated epub and mobi versions, so you should have your wish in a few weeks!
Old 08-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
You'll be pleased to hear that Christine over at finding-free-ebooks.blogspot.com has volunteered to produce illustrated epub and mobi versions, so you should have your wish in a few weeks!
Please post back when they are ready.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #10
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Unfortunately, since my PC is running linux, I don't have access to a decent epub editor. I've tried running it through Calibre, and the photos just come out too big for a reader's screen (I've tested it on my Bebook). If anyone else on Mobileread has the technology, and would like to convert it, I'd be very pleased!

Having said that, the text-only version is a really good read -- you'll miss out on photos of the family at various ages, but they're all on the author's web site, and the story's perfectly understandable without them. I recommend the version from Feedbooks as the best formatted for epub.
Sigil from right here at Mobileread is a 'great' Linux ePub editor. I'm running it on Ubuntu 9.04 right now.

LINK: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=203

Or you can run Atlantis Ocean Mind word processor under Wine (it's a pay program so you can google it) which has a very nifty ePub output

Last edited by Moejoe; 08-29-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Sigil from right here at Mobileread is a 'great' Linux ePub editor. I'm runnig it on Ubuntu 9.04 right now.

LINK: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=203

Or you can run Atlantis Ocean Mind word processor under Wine (it's a pay program so you can google it) which has a very nifty ePub output
Ooo! Thanks for the links!
Old 08-29-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
"Lose," please!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I look forward to reading this once it's in epub. Thank you so very much!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Got the Sony lrf version on Manybooks

Quote:
In Shattered Crystals, Mia Amalia Kanner recounts the true story of her desperate struggle to save her family from annihilation in Nazi Germany and war-torn France. Yet this is much more than a Holocaust history. It is about a courageous Jewish woman who, on finding herself destitute, becomes a cook in a home for war-displaced Jewish children. She faces an agonizing choice. Is giving up her three young daughters necessary to save their lives? Mia's odyssey is also a love story of a remarkable woman who secures her husband's release from Buchenwald concentration camp. Then, during the darkest days of the war, he is arrested in France. Now she must find a way to save him from deportation to the death camps. Before Hitler, they had been an ordinary family. As Mia and her husband face ever increasing danger and persecution, readers find themselves asking, “What would I have done?”

Available as PDF with maps and photos from the author's website here and in text-only versions in various formats at Feedbooks and Manybooks.

It's a really good read -- exciting (and occasionally harrowing), written more like a novel than a dry history. (I can say that, as I'm just the copy-editor, not the author! ) Enjoy!

I went directly to the authors website & hit the ebook link. It mentioned that a Sony version was available thru manybooks, so I was able to get that version pretty easily - no need for ePub if you have a Sony 505.

Hope that helps...
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:39 PM   #15
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookratt View Post
I went directly to the authors website & hit the ebook link. It mentioned that a Sony version was available thru manybooks, so I was able to get that version pretty easily - no need for ePub if you have a Sony 505.

Hope that helps...
But you don't get the illustrations that way, which is what JSWolf is holding out for...