Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #61
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Are there any specific problems described in the firmware thread that are worrying you?
The slower page turns for ePub books for sure. I realize a lot of that thread was about moving the clock and other user interface issues, but an update that affects reading performance would be a show-stopper for me.

Quote:
Choosing between Kindle and Kobo, I think the most important aspect to consider is: do you want to be bound to mobi and quite firmly tied in with Amazon, or would you prefer a more open device.
I clean DRM and side-load all my books, so the only extra step that Amazon requires would be to convert to mobi. I would rather stick with ePub though. I agree with you, the Kobo design is attractive.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #62
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I say wait until there are some official reviews and other people have had a chance to use it.

1) You never know what bugs may be introduced at the last minute (slow epub pages turns, as an example.)

2) I would be concerned about the clarity and durability of the new glo screen/layer. Supposedly, it is something new, so who knows how well it will work.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #63
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Thank you for taking the time to respond!

The slower page turns for ePub books for sure. I realize a lot of that thread was about moving the clock and other user interface issues, but an update that affects reading performance would be a show-stopper for me.

I clean DRM and side-load all my books, so the only extra step that Amazon requires would be to convert to mobi. I would rather stick with ePub though. I agree with you, the Kobo design is attractive.
You're welcome!

Well, reading your post, I know what I'd go for if I were you... The slower page turns were indeed very horrifying, but they're perfectly fine in the newer firmware. Newer Touches receive 2.1.1 already, and that has no slow page turns

The only issue I still see in 2.1.1 is that sideloaded books show the wrong cover the first time you put the device to sleep (or off) since reading a new book. Second sleep gives the correct cover. But I'm sure that'll get fixed too.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-28-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #64
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I say wait until there are some official reviews and other people have had a chance to use it.

1) You never know what bugs may be introduced at the last minute (slow epub pages turns, as an example.)
Indeed you don't. But, we do know that there is firmware available that has no slow page turns. So you could always downgrade temporarily until the new bug gets fixed.
Quote:
2) I would be concerned about the clarity and durability of the new glo screen/layer. Supposedly, it is something new, so who knows how well it will work.
I'm personally not too concerned about this
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #65
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Indeed you don't. But, we do know that there is firmware available that has no slow page turns. So you could always downgrade temporarily until the new bug gets fixed.
This sounds like a gamble, IMO. The Glo hasn't even been released, how do you know which "old" firmware will work with it. As for downgrading, I don't think it is officially supported by Kobo; when you do a factory reset, it forces you to upgrade to whatever their current firmware is.

Quote:
I'm personally not too concerned about this
The Sony 700 had terrible clarity, and the Nook ST with light seems susceptible to problems with screen scratches. Again, sounds like a gamble, IMO.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #66
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'm with John F in the wait and see camp, particularly in terms of the software on the Kobo, and the capacitive touch screen on the Kindle PW. I have high hopes that neither will suffer any clarity issues (no concerns were raised at the press conferences), and that they will be less susceptible to the problems the Nook Glowlight has suffered (Kobo have specifically mentioned theirs is more durable).

In saying that, it's a pretty low-risk gamble for people to take if they want one straight away. Sony's early attempt at lighting with the PRS-700 was a gamble, the Nook has shown screen clarity shouldn't be a problem, so now Amazon & Kobo have the advantage of being able to learn from the Nook.

However, as I've mentioned before, it's great if people do rush off and pre-order these new readers, as it gives those of us with a more cautious nature time to check out the feedback before spending our money.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote