Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #12991
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just finished reading Longeye, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. This is the second half of the Duainfey duology that is completely outside their Liaden Universe series. A pure fantasy, I found the first book of the pair frankly disturbing and unpleasant, but compelling. I avoided reading the second, even though I'd bought it, but after several people suggested that the second book was less disturbing, I finally got around to reading it. I must say, I enjoyed the Longeye, and was glad to have read it. But would NOT recommend the series to others because of the overtly abusive sexual content in the first book. Life is just too short to waste it reading domination, rape and abuse scenes, no matter if it is a favourite author pair.

Last edited by CRussel; 04-23-2012 at 03:57 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #12992
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Currently reading 1222 by Anne Holt which I bought a few days ago with one of those amazing Kobo discount coupons. It's a murder mystery set at a snowbound hotel on a mountain in Norway (1222 refers to the elevation). One of the other characters describes the main character as an ostrich, which is apt not just because she is extremely withdrawn socially, but also for her unwillingness to investigate the murder. I'm halfway through and it looks like she's about to pull her head out of the sand, I'm looking forward to some sparks.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #12993
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I must say, I enjoyed the Longeye, and was glad to have read it. But would NOT recommend the series to others because of the overtly abusive sexual content in the first book. Life is just too short to waste it reading domination, rape and abuse scenes, no matter if it is a favourite author pair.
Yes, I agree. I do recommend the Liaden stuff and Sharon Lee's Carousel Tides.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #12994
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@pdurrant: Agree completely. The good news is, by the way, that there will be additional Carousel Tides books. Ms. Lee thought that the negative reaction to Duainfey (and there was quite a bit) would have an ongoing negative impact on non-series books, but apparently Baen has bought at least one (and I seem to recall, two) additional follow ons to Carousel Tides. The Liaden series was, of course, never in doubt, and continues to be one of my all time favourite series and one that has no real duds in the list.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #12995
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Currently reading 1222 by Anne Holt which I bought a few days ago with one of those amazing Kobo discount coupons. It's a murder mystery set at a snowbound hotel on a mountain in Norway (1222 refers to the elevation). One of the other characters describes the main character as an ostrich, which is apt not just because she is extremely withdrawn socially, but also for her unwillingness to investigate the murder. I'm halfway through and it looks like she's about to pull her head out of the sand, I'm looking forward to some sparks.
This is an interesting take on the "locked room" mystery - with everyone trapped by a blizzard & avalanche. The resolution gets a bit tangled up & overly complicated IMHO.
Anne Holt's books are slowly appearing outside Norway - I've enjoyed her quirky characters very much.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #12996
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Over the weekend, I also finished The Thief Who Couldn't Sleep, an early Lawrence Block book. The protagonist is Evan Michael Tanner, who has a medical condition that doesn't allow him to sleep. He uses the extra 8 hours a day to learn languages and read. He makes a living writing papers and exams for lazy but rich students. (Keep in mind this was written in 1966.)

Overall, an enjoyable bit of fluff. You can see the makings of the Lawrence Block who will be, but he's still feeling his way. Definitely worth a read, especially with these books all on sale right now.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #12997
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
This series has become my second favorite series ever! Locked Rooms was great! Engaging and exciting to the last page! Now, with high expectations, I'll begin The Language of Bees, book 9 in the series.

I've just finished reading book 9, The Language of Bees and I want to share a short excerpt with anyone interested. The below spoiler (though it doesn't really spoil anything of note) contains a short excerpt from chapter 40 (of 47), a snippet that I really enjoyed. It occurs during the first stop (in York) of a hurried (this is 1924) flight from London to Northern Scotland.

VERY MINOR SPOILER:
Spoiler:
I let Javitz hand me down from my perch; on terra firma, I could feel my bones sway as if I’d been on a long sea voyage. I said, “It’s hard to believe we left London at dawn and we’re already in York.”

“You needn’t shout, Miss Russell.”

“Sorry,” I said. “My ears are ringing.”

“But it’s true, this is the next revolution in travel.”

Emergency speed was one thing, but I did not imagine the world was full of people eager to be cramped into place, shaken about, deafened, frozen, boiled, and frightened silly for the sake of a few hours saved. “I don’t believe I’ll invest in Imperial Airways quite yet, thank you.”

Now on to the next one, book 10, The God of the Hive.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #12998
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I really enjoyed that one, I hope that you do too. I think my next read will be Guy Gavriel Kay.

I'm reading "The Prince of Mist" by Zafon. I'm about a third of the way through it - it's great. Creepy as all heck to read before bedtime, though - but then again, I'm a bit of a wuss!
20% into Tigana and I now understand why people like it. I'm eager to read other books by G.G. Kay already, but many people say his best one is Tigana, so I'm still thinking. What is this next read of yours? Have you read A thousand spendid suns? Tell me what you think about it, too.

Zafón's style is about misty, creepy dark places, right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifan View Post
After years of purposefully avoiding the series, I've started and finished all 7 of the Harry Potter books in about 6 weeks... While I am not ready to go buy a Hogwarts cloak or a copy of Harry's wand, I do have an appreciation now of why my kids and their friends would be at B&N at midnight for each new book.
Me too. I've been avoiding it forever. Just read the first two books last month or so, and liked them enough to understand the hype, and to continue. But I'd like to hold paper books, so I'm still waiting for the copies to arrive.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #12999
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Finally starting Three Men In a Boat, it's been on my list for a few days but I'm just starting it now. The eBook uploaded to MR is a work of art.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #13000
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well, that was a fun, quick read. Some plausible-sounding analysis of bones, and a fascinating situation. Straight on to number 3:

Murder in the Queen's Armes by Aaron Elkins
Which I whooshed through, and also Old Bones, the fourth in the series.

Both splendid little mystery stories featuring our hero, Gideon Oliver.

Only six more to go, so I think I'll leave the rest for a while. I think some SF next. Something completely different: Man Kzin Wars VII: A Darker Geometry by Mark O. Martin and Gregory Benford.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #13001
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Leviathan Wakes by James SA Corey. its pretty awesome. a little detective story mixed with some space opera and some horror.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #13002
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
20% into Tigana and I now understand why people like it. I'm eager to read other books by G.G. Kay already, but many people say his best one is Tigana, so I'm still thinking. What is this next read of yours? Have you read A thousand spendid suns? Tell me what you think about it, too.

Zafón's style is about misty, creepy dark places, right

Yes, misty and creepy just about covers it!

Next I was thinking about reading "Under Heaven" or "The Fionavar Trilogy" by G.G. Kay. I'll probably go with the Fionavar Trilogy. I haven't yet read "A Thousand Splendid Suns", maybe I will get to that soon, and we can discuss it it you want.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #13003
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Yes, misty and creepy just about covers it!

Next I was thinking about reading "Under Heaven" or "The Fionavar Trilogy" by G.G. Kay. I'll probably go with the Fionavar Trilogy. I haven't yet read "A Thousand Splendid Suns", maybe I will get to that soon, and we can discuss it it you want.
Nice! Tigana is going fast. It's good to read fantasy again.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #13004
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Next I was thinking about reading "Under Heaven" or "The Fionavar Trilogy" by G.G. Kay. I'll probably go with the Fionavar Trilogy.
Just a head's up: Fionavar's probably best read before Tigana or Lions of Al Rassan... if you want to avoid being slightly disappointed in it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #13005
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Just a head's up: Fionavar's probably best read before Tigana or Lions of Al Rassan... if you want to avoid being slightly disappointed in it.
Thanks for the tip! I've actually read the first book in the Fionavar Trilogy, and I'd like to finish the Trilogy (and re-read the first book, because it's been a few years since I've read it) before reading Lions of Al Rassan for that reason. I've also been putting off reading it for fear of disappointment!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote