Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #61
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Pre-ordered! Cannot wait!
Congrats.

Don't forget to share your expected delivery if you don't mind. I started a dedicated thread for this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221600
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #62
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I've canceled my internet, so I need the 3g version. During the delay for that version (it comes out on Nov. 30) I'll be able to see if it really is an improvement. That's enough time for people to even get over the new toy syndrome and get serious with their reviews.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #63
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Seriously underwhelming as an 'upgrade' . If you've been holding out on buying a PW in case there was going to be a leap forward, I guess it's time to take the plunge. As far as a true technology leap, meh.... nothing that gets my blood pumping. (faster page turns???? Really?! It must turn the page BEFORE I'm done reading the current page!!) Nope, in love with and staying married to my current PW .
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #64
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I'm so tempted to order one, I love my Kindle touch but I so want the light.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #65
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Here is what the ad states:

"Whiter Screen, Darker Text

IMPROVED—Enjoy even better contrast on the latest Kindle Paperwhite. Whites are whiter and blacks are blacker, creating sharp, clear text. The high-resolution display allows for elegant typeface options including Baskerville and Palatino, and all fonts on Kindle Paperwhite have been hand-tuned at the pixel level for maximum readability and comfort
."
Finally! The new Ariel now washes even whiter!!!!

ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #66
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Finally! The new Ariel now washes even whiter!!!!

Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #67
Mike4672
Mike4672 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4, LG G3
There's a video on YouTube that explains the new Paperwhite in more detail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa-Mwi_rS1U
Mike4672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #68
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
And it's now showing on Amazon's front page: http://www.amazon.com/
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #69
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Very cool feature. Not sure if I'll upgrade, but.... I want to. I always want to. lol.
I remember the ride you were on with the PW last year. But, in the end, it was worth it! Bring on the new reader!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #70
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4672 View Post
There's a video on YouTube that explains the new Paperwhite in more detail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa-Mwi_rS1U
That's a video for last year's model
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #71
jiserra
jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
New Firmware?

EDIT:
Newbie error, the 5.3.7 is for the Kindle Touch
I leave my original post for history shame.

--

There are a lot of software improvements for the NEW PW, I wonder if they are going to come to the current PW?

I tried the "Kindle Paperwhite Software Update" on Amazon and is still on 5.3.6, but when I copy the link, I changed the 5.3.6.bin to 5.3.7.bin and it worked! I wonder if that's it?

Try yourself:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...64850#download

This is the link I changed. I'm still downloading the possible new firmware:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware...ndle_5.3.6.bin

Last edited by jiserra; 09-03-2013 at 04:51 PM.
jiserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #72
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Interesting thing I have noticed on the german amazon site, the cheapest kindle is now listed at only 49 euros, if that price spreads to the other site that could be a bigger deal than this new paperwhite.

Main positives for me for the new pw, same size so my case can be reused and the lag between the american and european launches is less than 2 weeks for a change.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #73
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiserra View Post
There are a lot of software improvements for the NEW PW, I wonder if they are going to come to the current PW?

I tried the "Kindle Paperwhite Software Update" on Amazon and is still on 5.3.6, but when I copy the link, I changed the 5.3.6.bin to 5.3.7.bin and it worked! I wonder if that's it?
Terribly bad idea. 5.3.7 is for the Kindle Touch, not for the Kindle Paperwhite, and most definitely not for the PW2 (or whatever it is/will be called). But go ahead and try to install it, you won't be able to.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #74
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiserra View Post

Try yourself:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...64850#download

This is the link I changed. I'm still downloading the possible new firmware:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware...ndle_5.3.6.bin
Interesting! I followed your instructions above and see the 5.3.7.bin downloading. After you install it let us know how it goes (I'm afraid to go first <g>).

Cancel trying - I just saw your post explaining this if for the Touch. Darn!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #75
jiserra
jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!jiserra , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Terribly bad idea. 5.3.7 is for the Kindle Touch, not for the Kindle Paperwhite, and most definitely not for the PW2 (or whatever it is/will be called). But go ahead and try to install it, you won't be able to.
Yeah, I noticed that after digging a bit more through the forums. Thank you!
jiserra is offline   Reply With Quote