Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Thumbs up My journey with my e-reader so far...

I just have to write about my experience with my Sony PRS-600. Up till about a month ago, I had no interest in e-readers. I love to read and I usually just buy my books online, or at the local bookshop. The result of all this was that I was running out of space at home to keep my books! My current bookshelf is overflowing and we just have no space for another bookshelf.

A friend of mine suggested looking at a Kindle. Now, I had heard about the Kindle before, but paid no attention to it. But considering that my birthday was (is) coming up (1st of April) and hubby was still undecided as to what to get me, I suggested he look at e-readers. He did, and got back to me saying that it's too hard to decide what to get and there are too many issues with formats and there isn't much of a market for it in Australia.

So I did some research of my own. And my goodness, I discovered how HUGE ebooks are! I had no idea! And I also discovered how many e-readers there are out there to choose from. I liked the Kindle a lot but also fell in love with the Sony Readers. I think I must have looked at every reader that is out there and it was so hard to choose which one to get.

How did I decide? Mobile Read Forums of course! Every search that I did on Google led me to these forums. I must have read countless threads and people's experiences with their readers and I finally decided on my Sony. It was one that seemed middle-range and was at a reasonable price.

And it's the best decision I made! I got my reader last week, after ordering it from the US. It took only a week to get here. I'm already addicted to it. I love browsing all the different sites that we can get books from, both paid and free. And of course, the books here at MR are awesome! And to my great surprise, I found today that my local library has e-books for loan! I'm surprised because e-books in Australia are not really that big but for my local library to have it is awesome!

My hubby also surprised me with a wedding anniversary present (falls on the 7th of April) - an Oberon case for the reader. He ordered it on the 24th of March and I received an email from Oberon saying that my order is already on it's way! I haven't received it yet, but am looking forward to it! Will post pics when I do get it

My e-reader has really changed the way I read. I used to be such a traditionalist but it has taken me just a few hours with the e-reader to be converted! It really is a revolutionary new way to read. And I hope that it really takes off in Australia. I don't mind buying books from the US, but Australia should really get it's act together and move forward!

There you go, my journey to getting an e-reader and my experience so far. I would love to hear how the rest of you got your first e-readers and your experiences so far. And a big THANK YOU to MR for helping me out along the way, and still helping me out. You guys are the best!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Was not sure about what sub-forum to post this in Hopefully it's alright, if not, then could someone move it to the most appropriate one? Thanks.
Advert
Old 03-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
It's great to hear that you're enjoying your PRS-600. You posted in the right sub-forum.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Welcome to Mobile Read and congrats on your presents. Your hubby sounds like he got you some great gifts... I hope you gave him a "special" anniversary gift as a way of thank you.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Happy Birthday and Anniversary, and Congratulations.

So glad to hear you are loving the conversion to ebook reading.

I hope to be joining you shortly. Long live the revolution in reading!

Here's hoping more Aussies get on the bandwagon and we will all benefit. It won't be long before we see ebooks and readers in Big W.

MobileRead is the greatest place for information and fun. I agree its the best!

Cheers
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #6
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
I can only Echo your enthusiasm, My Wife bought me my 600 due to my failing sight, What a great Idea, It helps better than I could have imagined, I have the M-Edge Executive Cover and the Light, I discovered the Oberon Cases after getting the M-Edge (Which i also Love) and I'm saving for the one with the Dragon on it, It will take a long while

I Adore my wife, this is the best present EVER

Continue to Enjoy, Continue to read here on MR too, the Community here is Brilliant,

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
What a great gift! My husband got me a sony 505 about 18 mo ago for my birthday. After my initial disgust (what?? I like paper books!), it has been the best gift *ever!* I'm glad you're enjoying your new toy
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
dreamsgate
Connoisseur
dreamsgate doesn't litterdreamsgate doesn't litter

Device: kindle 2
My oldest daughter started saving up money to get herself a kindle 2, hubby decided I needed one too. So we both got one about 2 months ago.

Best thing ever. I have read more in the last 2 months than I have in years due to ease of use and availability of books.
dreamsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
tiggers7652
tiggers7652 began at the beginning.

Device: dell axim
I am using a Dell Axim (PDA) as an e-reader. I have only recently started using an e-reader and LOVE it. I have it with me all the time. The screen is larger than my cell and has a backlight. I have looked at all the e-readers on the market and discouraged that only one that I have seen has a backlight. I often read in the dark at night. Why is that? No, I don't want to use a clip on light. I have also heard rumors that the newer Nintendo DSI will offer an e-reader option. Things are changing quickly.
tiggers7652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 AM   #10
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I hope you gave him a "special" anniversary gift as a way of thank you.
Haha. Don't worry, he also received his anniversary present
Old 03-29-2010, 01:07 AM   #11
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Here's hoping more Aussies get on the bandwagon and we will all benefit. It won't be long before we see ebooks and readers in Big W.
Thank you! And ebooks and readers in Big W? Now that will be a change! I doubt they even know what they are at the moment. Quite sad huh?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
I have the M-Edge Executive Cover and the Light, I discovered the Oberon Cases after getting the M-Edge (Which i also Love) and I'm saving for the one with the Dragon on it, It will take a long while
I like the M-Edge cases and what planning on getting one. I happened to come across a post mentioning Oberon cases and looked them up.. and fell in love with them! Hope you are able to get the Oberon case you are after.. they are pricey, I agree!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 AM   #13
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
After my initial disgust (what?? I like paper books!), it has been the best gift *ever!* I'm glad you're enjoying your new toy
Thanks! And that was my reaction as well. I wasn't sure if I would like reading on a screen but the transition has been smooth
Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 AM   #14
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsgate View Post
I have read more in the last 2 months than I have in years due to ease of use and availability of books.
I've only had my reader for a couple of week and I have noticed that I am reading more.. maybe it's the novelty aspect of it... and the convenience of having such a small thing in your bag all the time!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:12 AM   #15
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggers7652 View Post
I have looked at all the e-readers on the market and discouraged that only one that I have seen has a backlight. I often read in the dark at night. Why is that? No, I don't want to use a clip on light. I have also heard rumors that the newer Nintendo DSI will offer an e-reader option. Things are changing quickly.
I agree, a backlight would be handy. I have a lamp on my bedside so reading in bed isn't a worry for me. I haven't yet had the need to buy a clip on light. Haven't heard anything about the DSI.. maybe someone else might know something about it

Tags
australia, e-readers, oberon, prs-600, sony