Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #46
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I wonder how this would work.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #47
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I wonder how this would work.
Jabby is using something similar on his Android device: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=19

Of course, you still need a separate USB OTG adapter. Hmm, would be nice if manufacturers release a USB thumb drive around the size of a Cruzer Fit but uses microUSB male with the pins already crossed.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-29-2012 at 01:01 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #48
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post

BTW: Someone needs to make a USB stick with a micro-USB port on the other end...that would be really handy.
You mean like this?
It has a microSD slot, too.

Last edited by ApK; 06-29-2012 at 01:08 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #49
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I'm pre-ordering an 8GB one today, since I don't need to have a ton of movies on it 5.92GB is totally fine.
SD cards are not only needed for movies.

Many of the best android games are getting close to the size of a movie and if you play a lot of those it will behoove you to load them onto SD cards.

People with sensative data also use external cards for that.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #50
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
For me, the lack of an SD card isn't a deal breaker. I'll be looking closely at this later this year after Amazon and Apple release their models.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #51
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I have an original version Samsung Galaxy Tab (7") that I haven't turned on since I got my SG Note.

The only reason I'd want a Nexus 7 (or any other tablet) is to get a look at Jelly Bean, and I'm sure not willing to pay $200 to do that!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #52
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You mean like this?
It has a microSD slot, too.
That's nice. Just needs to be smaller.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #53
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
There will be many, many accessories soon enough, including, I would expect card readers that play nicely with The Nexus 7 and USB OTG.
maybenot

Quote:
Unfortunately mounting USB storage natively is not supported on the Nexus 7. Hopefully rooted users will be able to use StickMount with the Nexus 7 and make this work.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6061/m...-not-supported
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #54
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'll wait until someone successfully attaches a USB stick or mSD card to it and plays the content before making a decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately mounting USB storage natively is not supported on the Nexus 7. Hopefully rooted users will be able to use StickMount with the Nexus 7 and make this work.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6061/m...-not-supported
Well, that pretty much kills it. I won't rule it out completely, but as it stands now, I'll pass on the Nexus 7. I'm getting tired of rooting devices.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #55
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I expect root on it before I even get it in my hot little hands.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #56
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm getting tired of rooting devices.
is not how Google wants you to use device.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #57
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
They could also give us that capability natively with the first update <shrug>. I bought an 8 GB device and 99.9% of the time that will be sufficient for my needs. What can I say, i'm neither a gamer or a huge fan of movies on this size screen.

Last edited by taming; 06-29-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: typos
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #58
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
What can I say, i'm neither a gamer or a huge fan of movies on this size screen.
Don't need the space for games or movies but comics take up a lot of space and that's what I'm buying the Nexus 7 for.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #59
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I'm not in the market for a tablet at the moment, but this would be a deal breaker if I was. My reasoning is a bit different though, since I don't stuff tonnes of data onto my tablet.

Reason 1: sometimes I swap cards between devices. If my phone has something that my tablet doesn't, it's far easier to swap cards than it is to hook things up to a computer or setup a WiFi connection.

Reason 2: I often break things down according to function. My reference library is on one card, teaching library on another card, and recreational reading is on a third card. I find that this helps me to maintain focus while reading.

Reason 3: it allows the tablet to be used as a card reader. I've bought card readers before, and they always seem to break. Not sure why. It has happened to cheap readers and expensive readers. Most of the time it seems to be a problem with the electronics. Never had a problem with the readers built into my phones, tablets, and cameras though.

Reason 4: I tend to use devices for unintended purposes. Removable media makes this easier, especially if the system software is on removable media (thank-you Kobo!)
Old 06-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #60
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'm not in the market for a tablet at the moment, but this would be a deal breaker if I was. My reasoning is a bit different though, since I don't stuff tonnes of data onto my tablet.

Reason 1: sometimes I swap cards between devices. If my phone has something that my tablet doesn't, it's far easier to swap cards than it is to hook things up to a computer or setup a WiFi connection.
You could use Blue Tooth to transfer files.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote