Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
AndrewLB
Senior Wrangler
AndrewLB began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, want Kindle 3
HTML to Mobi conversions (DocBook XSL, and content.opf?)

Hi,
I recently pre-ordered the Kindle 3 like everyone else, and set about consolidating my various electronic books into a suitable format.

A big source for me is actually the O Reilly iphone books, which are purchased in a Stanza shell. The actual contents are composed as HTML, with a Table of Contents file and then each chapter/section described as separate html files. The images are duly linked in these html files in a flat folder structure.

Anyway, was curious if this was a standardized format. The only hint I've found in the files are that they've been generated via the "DocBook XSL Stylesheets," which I'm looking into now. But XSL is a giant pain in the ass from experience, so just wanted to ask here before I go down that painful, painful road again.

For reference, the naming scheme is fairly consistent, but semi arbitrary (eg ch01s02 for chapter 1 section 2), and the actual structure seems defined by an XML file called content.opf

I'm working on the idea here that since I purchased the books in the format, I'm entitled to the content and being Canadian, I can "strip" the "DRM" (i.e. remove the content from the stanza app).

Soooooooo, any suggestions?
AndrewLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLB View Post
A big source for me is actually the O Reilly iphone books, which are purchased in a Stanza shell. The actual contents are composed as HTML, with a Table of Contents file and then each chapter/section described as separate html files. The images are duly linked in these html files in a flat folder structure.
I'll be the first to admit ignorance in this area, not having an iPhone or using Stanza myself, but it sounds as if you are talking about books in an ePub format, which is one of the formats O'Reilly uses and one that Stanza reads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLB View Post
I'm working on the idea here that since I purchased the books in the format, I'm entitled to the content and being Canadian, I can "strip" the "DRM" (i.e. remove the content from the stanza app).
Remove DRM from O'Reilly books? I didn't think O'Reilly used DRM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Since Stanza is primarily an ePub format reader it is more than likely that these are ePub format books encapsulated in a Stanza shell to provide the reading facility. Nothing you said contradicts this assumption. An ePub book is basically a Zip file with a standardized set of files inside.

It might be worth taking all the files, zipping them up into a single file, and then changing the file extension to ePub and see if Calibre (or an ePub editor like Sigil) is happy with the results.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
AndrewLB
Senior Wrangler
AndrewLB began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, want Kindle 3
Worked brilliantly, thanks! It was just an uncompressed epub.
AndrewLB is offline   Reply With Quote