Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
girello
girello began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Amazon don't say that...

Hello,

Amazon don't say that free internet access is no more possible in some countries (Italy for example). Why?

After some email to customer service, they said it is a problem of my Kindle2 (???). Simply they closed internet access, as it was in the begining (only internet access to kindle shop and wikipedia)

In the last email, they said:

"Hello,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused to you in this regard.

I'd like to inform you that, it is not with 2.5.3 update that you are unable to access all the internet sites, as browsing on Kindle is an experimental feature, so you are unable to browse all the websites except Wikipedia and Amazon.com. i.e some you may able to browse and some time may not.

I do understand your concern and I've forwarded your comments regarding the internet access to our kindle development team as we plan further improvements."

Thay said: "browsing on Kindle is an experimental feature, so you are unable to browse all the websites except Wikipedia "

It is not true! for two months they permited internet access and I was able to access serveral sites.

Why do Amazon say falseness???

Last edited by girello; 08-16-2010 at 05:31 AM.
girello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Hi,

I'm in Italy and I can use it- apparently it's done randomly on Kindles, or anyway, they haven't cleared up their policy. I'm sorry they're telling you this kind of lies.

Tip: try to change the country it worked for some people.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 04:31 AM   #3
girello
girello began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Hi,

I'm in Italy and I can use it- apparently it's done randomly on Kindles, or anyway, they haven't cleared up their policy. I'm sorry they're telling you this kind of lies.

How can I change it? in my amazon profile -> manage your kindle?

they need a valid new address... (US? UK?)

ps: which mobile operator are you connected to? TIM 3g?

thank you! (I'm from Piacenza :-)
girello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Hi,

They aren't "telling lies". Web browsing has always been an experimental feature, and liable to be withdrawn at any time. All that's ever been guaranteed is access to the Amazon ebook store.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
With the Kindle 3 Web browsing anywhere in the world shouldn't be a problem if you are able to connect to Wi-Fi. 3G costs Amazon money and the reason that they introduced Wi-Fi is to cut down their 3G costs. By connecting to Wi-Fi by default, with 3G being the backup Web browsing will be faster and won't cost Amazon any money.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
joeman
joeman began at the beginning.

Device: none
The problem is that it's expensive. It seems for my country they'll charge 0.99 usd per megabyte for the 3g download service. So it's indeed not free except in the US and some places. With the download service i mean if i order a book from amazon etc. But internet access is limited to wikipedia, no other websites are allowed.
joeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
My point is that you may be restricted on the K2 because it's 3G only. Amazon adds a surcharge for those outside the U.S. using 3G.

With the K3, Wi-Fi will be the default connection and I don't see any reason why Amazon would restrict this as it doesn't cost them anything. If you want to do Web browsing on your Kindle without restriction you will need to get a K3.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
joeman
joeman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well luckily i buy it to read only But music, surfing i have more suitable devices for that.
I believe no one is forced to use the 3G to download anything as what you have or buy you can do on any other computer and then put it on the kindle.
joeman is offline   Reply With Quote