Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Really true? 'Make A Simple Mistake, B&N Keeps Your Nook'

http://ilmk.wordpress.com/2010/08/07...eps-your-nook/

Quote:
At the top of the Returning Items Bought from Barnes & Noble.com section, there is an address. Many people are just going to see that address, and send a NOOK back to it. You get 14 days to try a NOOK…you get thirty for a Kindle.

Here’s the strange part, though:

“Please note: if you do not call for a return authorization number and send the nook to the wrong return center, no refund will be provided and your nook will not be returned to you.”

That’s right. If you happen to return the NOOK to the wrong address (an easy mistake to make, in my opinion) at Barnes & Noble, they just keep it.

How hard would it be for them to let the other return center know? Okay, maybe they charge you five bucks to send it over there. Nope. They just keep your $199 (or $149 for wi-fi only) device, and don’t credit you anything for it.

That seems crazy to me. I mean, if you accidentally returned your NOOK to a Home Depot, I figure they would call you and let you know you sent it to the wrong place.

Remember, on the Barnes & Noble thing, it’s the same company. It’s just a different address. Not only does it seem like common courtesy, it seems like good business sense. Why say, “Finders keepers, ha ha!” to somebody you presumably want to buy things from you in the future?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
When you do call for an authorization number they give you a UPS label to put on your shipment and are very clear about it.

I've exchanged several nooks, I should know.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Yes, I read this as wanting to make sure that customers call and get the RMA# before just willy nilly mailing off a nook.

It's not particularly unusual either, many sites do this with returns, and with similar language. Usually it's not the address that is in question, but the language will say something to the effect that "If you send your xxx without RMA, your account will not be refunded and your xxx will not be returned."
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
And this doesn't trouble you?
(By the way, you may have legal remedies.)
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Has it actually happened that they kept the Nook without refunding it, or are they just warning that they can.

It sounds like a PR nightmare for them to actually do this. I suspect that they will warn, but not keep the Nook without refund.

Of course, how many people are likely to know the addresses of either place unless they first talked to a customer service rep, who will give them an RMA and the right address...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
It's actually very unprofessional of B&N. If a package is delivered without an RMA # on it, it should be refused (which normally result in the package being returned to the sender). And the old excuse that they don't have time to inspect incoming packages because they don't have time to check that many packages is also lame; it sets them up for refused damage claims if damage was visible from the outside. I worked in warehousing, including shipping and delivery, for 30 years and we never accepted anything without first inspecting for visible damage. If UPS, for example, dropped a hundred packages off (and that was a typical delivery for us), the driver got to cool his heels for a few minutes while we went through each package to verify it was being delivered to the correct address (we probably had a dozen delivery points in the Phoenix metro area) and to check for visible damage. It really didn't take all that long. UPS hated it but that was just too bad.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
The fact that if you send something to the wrong address, it may not arrive?

No, not in the least. If you just mail something to a completely random address at a large corporation, your chances of seeing again are remote, I suspect.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
You can be sloppy when you show up to return something at the store. Worst case you still walk out of the store with the item because you don't meet the return policy. When you are mailing hundreds of dollars worth of electronics, you should ensure that you are sending it to the right address and a place that is equipped to receive it and is expecting it, if you expect a refund or an exchange.

NOT saying that B&N shouldn't return to sender or whatever with an unknown package, but there is some responsibility on the returner to take the simple, appropriate steps. It's not like this is as hard as redeeming a rebate used to be...!
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
One more reason I'm loyal to Amazon.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
One more reason I'm loyal to Amazon.
You've tried returning stuff to Amazon without an RMA, have you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
This doesn't really get me all that exercised -- though it apparently got me exercised enough to type this out
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #12
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You've tried returning stuff to Amazon without an RMA, have you?
The OP mentioned returning the Nook to the wrong address, one noted on the web site titled "returning items to B&N". It's actually an easy thing to do.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Does this really belongs to the News section which is supposed to be the "Latest on e-books, e-paper, DRM and related technologies"? It might be more appropriate in the Nook section.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Well, the possibility seemed to be news, but after I posted this I did wonder if I should have put it under 'Discussions'. Obviously the mods will shift it around if they think best.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #15
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Does this really belongs to the News section which is supposed to be the "Latest on e-books, e-paper, DRM and related technologies"? It might be more appropriate in the Nook section.

I agree, for one it's a blog, entitled "I love My Kindle" none the less, and it's based on that persons own speculation and not on any specific incidients or occurances nor a response from Barnes and Noble.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote