Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
rainbow1
rainbow1 doesn't litterrainbow1 doesn't litterrainbow1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone
Sony US only vs Canada

Hi,

My name is Iris and I'm from Canada. I have just joined this forum in the hopes of getting some information on where I can go for ebooks.

I love to read fiction and have a sony prs-505 which I have spent a LOT of money downloading ebooks from the Sony site. I've noticed over the last few weeks many of the books I have or would like are now only available in the usa..has anyone else noticed that? If so what is happening and where do I go now?

Last edited by rainbow1; 04-20-2010 at 11:24 AM.
rainbow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Iris and welcome to MobileRead. Don't know the answer to your question. If someone doesn't come along soon with the info, try posting your question on the Sony section.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
rainbow1

I'm really new at this...where do I find the sony site?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
verbose
verbose began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505. Kindle 2 and iPhone
Hi Iris
I've had the same problem with Sony bookstore and the US Amazon cite. However, it seems that everything I wanted was available from the KOBO site. I guess that being it is a Canadian site, there isn't as many restriictions for those of us living in Canada.
verbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Hello Iris, welcome to MobileRead.

I also live in Canada and have also noticed the increasing number of "US Only" ebooks at Sony's Reader Store. These geo-restrictions are affecting us all. You have to search around the various eBook sellers to find out which will sell to Canada. You often have to pay a premium to get an ebook you want because it isn't available at the Reader Store.

There are some price comparison sites that I use to help me find ebooks, in the EPUB format, which can be read on our readers:

Inkmesh
AddAll Ebooks
eBook Price Info

There is also a list of ebook sellers in the MobileRead Wiki under E-book stores.

I buy a lot of my sci-fi books from Baen Webscriptions because they are DRM-free. I've also found that Kobo and Direct eBooks sometimes have titles I'm searching for and are available in Canada but, like I said, usually at a premium.

I hope this helps.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
rainbow1

Found the Sony Forum, looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

I have never downloaded a book from a site other than Sony and using their software so not quite sure how to do it but will do some reading as I'm sure it's posted somewhere.

thanks for all your help, I really appreciate all the links
Old 04-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi rainbow and welcome to MR. Yes, the geographical restrictions are not nice but we'll have to live with it. I have never been able to buy from Sony but can download the freebies.

I hope you found a solution.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
rainbow1

Problem Solved! After reading some of the links I downloaded Adobe Digital Editions from Kobo and it recognized my reader so I can now get books from other sites if Sony doesn't have what I'm looking for. I even found some freebies that don't look bad.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I just 'told' the Sony site that I'm in the US. It believes me.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote