Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Sony cracked?

Has the Sony epub DRM been cracked? I would love to be able to correct spelling errors on my Sony books. Sometimes I can ignore them and others I just want to correct, especially when it's a word that doesn't make sense.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
As far as I know, the DRM is not Sony's but Adobe's, and yes, it has been cracked (or, at least, in can be removed). There is enough info in these forums (look for "Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented"), but we cannot give explicit instructions.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Not LRX that I know of. It's discontinued in any case...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post
Has the Sony epub DRM been cracked? I would love to be able to correct spelling errors on my Sony books. Sometimes I can ignore them and others I just want to correct, especially when it's a word that doesn't make sense.
The Sony epub drm is the same as the Adobe epub DRM and it was cracked over half-a-year ago.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
If you have lrx encrypted books, you should be able to re-download them as epub, decrypt them & make your changes.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
As far as I know, the DRM is not Sony's but Adobe's, and yes, it has been cracked (or, at least, in can be removed). There is enough info in these forums (look for "Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented"), but we cannot give explicit instructions.
Really? I thought that the script you are talking about is for recovering your key out of Adobe's ADE program. That doesn't help you with Sony's library does it?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The script does recover the key from Adobe's ADE. That key is used to decrypt ePub books that are associated with your ADE account. ePub books purchased through the sony store are associated with your ADE account, and are decrypted with the same key.

- Ed
Old 01-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edembowski View Post
The script does recover the key from Adobe's ADE. That key is used to decrypt ePub books that are associated with your ADE account. ePub books purchased through the sony store are associated with your ADE account, and are decrypted with the same key.
Ah, very interesting! I thought that one of the "upgrades" in the new ebook library software was that it no longer required ADE to be installed for epubs to be downloaded (whether from the Sony store or from public libraries) and read.

I'm glad I was wrong because there are some Sony books I've been itching to change the margins and font size for.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Ah, very interesting! I thought that one of the "upgrades" in the new ebook library software was that it no longer required ADE to be installed for epubs to be downloaded (whether from the Sony store or from public libraries) and read.

I'm glad I was wrong because there are some Sony books I've been itching to change the margins and font size for.

It may not be REQUIRED to be installed, but it still uses ADOBE DE DRM for Epub.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
radius
Lector minore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It may not be REQUIRED to be installed, but it still uses ADOBE DE DRM for Epub.
Maybe. If the Reader Library generates the same key as ADE would have if it were installed, then both Sony and Adobe must be using the same information to identify accounts, but if the identifier isn't tied to a device, then how is it generated (since you can have an account and buy books without needing a device)? Hmmm...
Old 01-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #11
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post
What tool do you use/recommend for making changes to your ePubs? I wish I could find a tool that wasn't designed for those who are CSS/HTML pros, but just a simple GUI to make changes.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Maybe. If the Reader Library generates the same key as ADE would have if it were installed, then both Sony and Adobe must be using the same information to identify accounts, but if the identifier isn't tied to a device, then how is it generated (since you can have an account and buy books without needing a device)? Hmmm...
My understanding is that it now how the ability to set up an "annonymous" account (that's not really the right term) with Adobe in the background. Numerous people have run into problem with this (check other threads).
Old 01-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #13
edembowski
Zealot

Quote:
Adobe uses a key escrow system for storing the public/private key pair used for decrypting your books. Keys are generated on Adobe's end, and distributed to authorized clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
My understanding is that it now how the ability to set up an "annonymous" account (that's not really the right term) with Adobe in the background. Numerous people have run into problem with this (check other threads).
Very true. This is for cases where the user does not create an ADE account. It gets messy then.

- Ed
Old 01-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
radius
Lector minore

Quote:
Originally Posted by edembowski View Post
Adobe uses a key escrow system for storing the public/private key pair used for decrypting your books. Keys are generated on Adobe's end, and distributed to authorized clients.

Very true. This is for cases where the user does not create an ADE account. It gets messy then.

- Ed
So in general I always want to install ADE before Sony's ebook library? I've of course done that as historical accident since ADE was available first...
Old 01-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #15
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
So in general I always want to install ADE before Sony's ebook library? I've of course done that as historical accident since ADE was available first...
Actually, no, that isn't necessary. The Sony software authorizes your computer with your Adobe ID, just like Digital Editions does. When you first sign into your Sony account, it will ask for your Adobe ID/password if they are different from your sony account details.

In fact, I had the sony software installed and activated. I then installed ADE (so I could retrieve the key to de-drm epub files) and when I ran ADE, it told me my computer was already authorized to my Adobe ID.

In short, the sony software and Adobe DE both perform identical functions, you can use either of them without problems. In fact the Sony software also lets you download purchased books (in .ascm format) from other ebook stores.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote