Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Gaspode
Gaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, iPhone
I'm going to wait for the Plastic Logic Reader

What a great forum. I’ve only been a member for a few days but I’m very impressed with what I’ve seen so far. I never knew there were so many devices available and I have certainly learnt a lot by reading the posts here.

Like many people, I am of the opinion that there isn’t currently a device that meets my requirements 100% and as such I am going to save my money for now and wait for the Plastic Logic Reader to be made available.

I love to read novels (Terry Pratchett, Lee Child, Tom Clancy are my favourites) and as part of my job I need to read a lot of technical books and documentation.

My requirements for a reader are:
  • Battery Life – as high as possible
  • Lightweight
  • Very fast boot time (like opening a book)
  • Large book storage capacity
  • PDF and business document support essential
  • E-ink display (read it in the sun, no eye-strain)
  • Ability to annotate
  • Be able to read books from my favourite authors

So unless I have missed something (and please tell me if there is a device that is close to these requirements), I’m going to wait a year and save up for what looks to be a pretty close fit to my requirements.

In the meantime, I'll stick with my laptop for my e-reading and my i-mate JasJam for my commute.
Gaspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Welcome to the forum. I suspect you will be waiting a lot longer than a year for a Plastic Logic device. You might want to look for a used device in the interim and selling it when the PL device finally appears. just a thought.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Seconded. PlasticLogic said something about second quarter of 2010 as far as I remember -- being realistic, I think that translates into late fourth quarter 2010. But if you feel your current needs are met by your current devices, then it is not a problem to wait, of course.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I guess one how to decide how many reading is "worth" to one personally. I know that I'd pay £100 rather than be without a decent eBook reader for a week; waiting a year would be unimaginable. Mind you, I'm always a little surprised that people regard eBooks as a new phenomenon, since I've been reading them on hand-held devices for well over 20 years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Welcome on the forum.

Waiting would be OK if it was like you know that there would be an important announcement from a big manufacturer within a week or so.
As a serious gadget enthusiast and owner of about 10 computers (I only count those in working condition ) I can tell you that next year, when the Plastic logic device comes, there will be another great device *just* around the corner.

You have to put up with the fact that any computer you buy is already obsolete, or will be obsolete very, very soon.

I have one of the oldest e-ink devices Sony PRS500, with the oldest generation of display and it still works very well.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony T1
Except for the boot time, I don't see any other concerns in your list could be a problem for current e-ink reader.
* Battery Life – as high as possible
Battery is another industry which doesn't follow Moore's law, why will plastic logic have new magic?
* Lightweight
I think every e ink reader are lightweight compare to books.
* Very fast boot time (like opening a book)
This one is tough, I don't see why plastic logic will have advantage on this too.
* Large book storage capacity
With SD or other extension cards, this is not a problem.
* PDF and business document support essential
most reader have basic support, bigger screen is the best way to display complex pdf, otherwise you can check Foxit eslick which can reflow and cut to content width for pdf.
* E-ink display (read it in the sun, no eye-strain)
* Ability to annotate
Is this a problem?
* Be able to read books from my favourite authors
That depends on ebook publisher, not reader.

Besides, I think Plastic Logic is promising because of its form factor, flexible screen, which are not your concern...
dracodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracodoc View Post
Except for the boot time, I don't see any other concerns in your list could be a problem for current e-ink reader.
The only large screen competitor to the Plastic Logic is currently the iRex Digital Reader. It has pathetic battery life, because the battery is too small and because the suspend modes have not yet been fully implemented (and are not as good at best as some other devices). Boot time typically isn't an issue if the suspend modes work (don't turn it off at all), otherwise it is likely to be long.

No current EInk device has serious "business document support", Plastic Logic may be the 1st (it is nearly automatic with WinCE). What the iRex DR has instead is conversion to PDF on a Desktop PC.

Reading DRMed ebooks requires software from MobiPocket or FictionWise (eReader) or Adobe. Most current ebook readers include DRM support, but it isn't a given that a "business" device necessarily would do so.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
RufusA
RufusA began at the beginning.

Device: none
I hate to say this, but I doubt anything will be the perfect device for you!

For business documents and annotation you ideally need an A4 device with a fast processor, touch screen (and/or keyboard) and connectivity (wifi, bluetooth etc.) None of which are going to be very battery friendly. Install a large battery and you double the weight and bulk.

If you did have a top end A4 ebook device, it's not IMHO going to be well suited for novels. You want something you can toss in a bag, squeeze in to a pocket, hold one handed, read in bed, on the train, by the beach. This isn't an A4, touchscreen device!

After much soul search I deciced on getting a small 6" Sony reader (prs-505) which works great for reading novels, downloading rss feeds (thanks calibre) to read on the train etc.

It also does a great job with simple PDFs that I can control the margins of. I can read technical books (O'Reilly et al) acceptably well on it, and most library books (mainly in landscape).

For annoation I simply mark the page, and use an old-fashioned pad and pencil to write the notes. Easy, simple and at a fraction of the cost of a touchscreen device.

For complex documents, things I need to search, write major notes / annotations, I have my laptop!

If a perfect device comes out, I can sell my Sony and buy the new device. In the meantime I have a useable device that meets over 90% of my immediate needs!

HTH - Rufus.
RufusA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony T1
I agree with RufusA. You can buy a 6" or 8" current reader for novel, and choose a tablet or a small notebook for business needs.
dracodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only 8" screen device around is the iRex iLiad, and it is (for me) too large to conveniently carry around. I find personally that the 6" devices, which are about the size of a paperback book, are perfect for this.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Except for the PDF/bizdoc support, the Kindle 2 meets all the requirements and more. While I'd like PDF support too, it's not worth waiting 2 years (or more, if it even comes out) for an ebook reader.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:38 AM   #12
Gaspode
Gaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, iPhone
Hey thanks heaps for all of those replies. Valuable advice - who knows I may well pick up a second hand Sony reader just to dip my toe in the water. If someone had just given me a Sony PRS-505 a week ago, I would have been extremely happy. Then I started looking around and I wanted the big screen, and the stylus, etc. etc. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Gaspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:52 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If you do buy a 2nd hand Sony (or any other device, for that matter) you'll be able to sell it again for pretty much what you bought it for, so you've really very little to lose.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #14
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
I saw a recent PL video and was impressed.
If they can achieve at least part of their objectives and keep the price competitive, then I will surely go for it.
But until they do, which possibly seems not until next year, I have chosen the iLiad BE as my reader.
If PL doesnt come through, I have my Iliad to fallback on
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:42 AM   #15
v1m
v1m began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Welcome to the forum. I suspect you will be waiting a lot longer than a year for a Plastic Logic device. You might want to look for a used device in the interim and selling it when the PL device finally appears. just a thought.

Dale
My thinking as well, Dale.

Despite advances ereaders are in their infancy and won't mature overnight. And the first run of PLs should be pricey things indeed, Murdoch's rumored intervention aside.

I'm going to buy something workable for the interim, and later throw the baby out with the bathwater on Ebay.
v1m is offline   Reply With Quote