Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #106
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
By the way:

Is the Paperwhite going to be flat on the front, like a tablet, like the new Kobo Aura is reported to be? I've seen pictures, but nowadays, pictures *can* lie. If it's true then that'd be a nice selling point for Kobo. It looks awesome and much sleeker than the older readers.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #107
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think it's flat. In Amazon's pictures if you look carefully you can see the shadow cast by the bezel on the screen on one side.

I prefer to have a recessed screen; it gives a tactile feedback about where to tap the screen when turning a page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #108
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
By the way:

Is the Paperwhite going to be flat on the front, like a tablet, like the new Kobo Aura is reported to be? I've seen pictures, but nowadays, pictures *can* lie. If it's true then that'd be a nice selling point for Kobo. It looks awesome and much sleeker than the older readers.
This image from the Amazon website sure doesn't look like a flush screen with the bezel to me. look at the bottom of the screen and you see indentation.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #109
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I just wish the Kindle mobile apps supported TTS rather than artificially restricting that feature to the Fire(s). They are, in effect, extorting money from the blind and impaired, along with the rest of us who want TTS.
The iOS app works with Apple's VoiceOver function for TTS. I thought I read they were adding it to the Android app, but I might be mistaken as I can't find the article I thought I'd read.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #110
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle App works fine with VoiceOver, but what it won't do is automatically turn the page for you like the "native" Kindle TTS does.
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #111
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The iOS app works with Apple's VoiceOver function for TTS. I thought I read they were adding it to the Android app, but I might be mistaken as I can't find the article I thought I'd read.
As of august they still hadn't.

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...f-differences/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #112
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourl29 View Post
a. Rubbish. Amazon books are converted into epub in seconds. Calibre.

b. So what? Last I heard of the best selling tablets on the globe, the ipads don't have a memory card slot. I got about 100 books on my kindle and it's got tons of space left.

c. File explorer? What? You see the files when mounted, you can organize them via the kindle app, there's the immense great calibre too, there's cloud storage, send to kindle. Where's the "explorer" missing from?

Utterly vapid post, sorry.
why should i use calibre?

it should have native support for epub

i don't want a ipad or give money to apple to use their crappy products.it's blue murder trying to import or export media to it.crappy itunes.crappy quicktime player.

i don't want to cloud storage with NSA spying or it evaporating overnight.

no i don't to want use kindle app to organize or waste a half a lifetime or lame third party tools.it should be native.

kindle is awful.its slow,its very slow.it spends days indexing.i know because i have the kindle 3g keyboard.worst waste of money ever.you can only load 3000 books after spending weeks converting to stupid mobi then it grinds to a halt on 3000 plus 1.no file explorer either.spend weeks indexing.battery drained 14 times.

i bought a nook even though my friends advised me against it because they are intensely loyal or brainwashed by amazon.

on the NOOK load 15000 books on sd card.no indexing nonsense.NO FREEZING.USE IT RIGHT AWAY...it has file explorer.its has epub support.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #113
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
on the NOOK load 15000 books on sd card.no indexing nonsense.NO FREEZING.USE IT RIGHT AWAY...it has file explorer.its has epub support.
Then if you're finished with those books, then just reload another 15.000 ones on the Nook? Nobody's holding a gun to your head to force you to buy a Kindle.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #114
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Am I the only one shocked by "The best device for reading. Period." ??

That's the kind of thing only people who don't have any argument would use... Kinda kiddish..
"You did it! Congratulations! World's best cup of coffee. Great job everybody. It's great to meet you. Hi." -Elf (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUPDRnUWeBA)

That said, this is pretty standard advertising fare. For instance, see the following: http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te..._products.html

My personal favorite: "On the Foo Fighters: 'They’re not only one of the most popular bands in the world, they’re one of the most talented.'"
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #115
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
why should i use calibre?

it should have native support for epub
kindle is awful.its slow,its very slow.it spends days indexing.i know because i have the kindle 3g keyboard.worst waste of money ever.you can only load 3000 books after spending weeks converting to stupid mobi then it grinds to a halt on 3000 plus 1.no file explorer either.spend weeks indexing.battery drained 14 times.
i bought a nook even though my friends advised me against it because they are intensely loyal or brainwashed by amazon.

I sincerely hope you enjoy using your Nook. We really enjoy using our Kindles.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #116
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
[QUOTE=djulian;2613597]"You did it! Congratulations! World's best cup of coffee. Great job everybody. It's great to meet you. Hi." -Elf (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUPDRnUWeBA)

"This tastes like a crappy cup of coffee.......it is a crappy cup of coffee."
"NO! It's the world's best cup of coffee."

vugtitan,

The Amazon way of doing business has been in place since the early Kindles, I'm not sure why you though they would remove DRM and put in expandable storage with the new PaperWhite.

It is beyond me why anyone would want to store 3000 books on the e-reader. I'm not picking on you, I've seen others post the similar things but I just don't get it. Why not store them on your computer and just email yourself a handful that you are going to read over the next few weeks.
What does the homepage look like with 3,000 books (on a Kindle or Nook)? It must take forever to scroll over to book 2,357 which is the one you want to read today. Yes, I know you can search/file explore for a book on the homescreen but that seems like a lot of extra steps to avoid the 2930 books you have on there but don't plan on reading anytime soon.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #117
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Thing is if you don't really know what do you want to read next week you are leaving for somewhere. I tend to go back, reread books, suddenly jumping on something new, etc. If you have a lot of books and just not a tight schedule on the next one then seems okay to carry them all with you and pick on the moment.
Kindle's homescreen is totally useless for a thing like that, with some of the code in the dev center you can easily have books in author/collection/book(s) and reaching any is a matter of 3 clicks, so it is not entirely unreasonable request, I'd love to have folder support too.
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #118
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Kindle has collections, I use them a lot. They are pretty easy to use.

Do any of the e-readers have folder support? I know that some are called folders but I was told by many people on this board (Harry) that they are all tags and not really folders.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #119
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
I think pocketbook is the only one with it. For the rest of the bunch there are hacks. If PW2 can be jailbroken just as easy that kinda solves it, I doubt official folder support will show up for either kindle/kobo/sony/nook.

Collections, especially kindle ones are unsuitable for the purpose of having larger array of books, because you need at least 2 levels (author/collection), if not 3 (First letter/Author/Collection).

Folders do have another advantage - the need for preprocessing the books is gone, you load, disconnect, and reading in next 10 seconds instead of the "leave it for an hour on charge so it can process the books".
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #120
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There are many readers which support folders: Cybook, Onyx, and Pocketbook, to name but three. But all the big names - Kindle, Sony, Nook, Kobo - have collections, not folders (to the best of my knowledge).