Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Dyspeptica
Enthusiast
Dyspeptica began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Multiple line title with ebook-convert

I'm trying to convert a number of html files to ebub with ebook-convert. I can insert a title (which shows up on the cover) but the title is actually three parts and really should be on three separate lines....rank, name and serial number so to speak.

I am passing the title to ebook-convert with --title "${title}". So, does anyone know how I can either insert a newline which ebook-convert will honor OR, does anyone know how I can pass three separate items to ebook-convert.

Before anyone jumps in, yes, I can insert custom text into the generate-cover plugin, but that is fixed text intended to be used on every file/book. I need to insert unique text into each file and do so programmatically. There is, I understand, a "template language" but I can't find a reference which alludes to want I need to do.
Dyspeptica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no way to use newlines in the title when generating covers. I suggest youuse some image manipulation software to create the cover (imagemagick is great for doing this programmatically) and then pass the generated cover to ebook-convert.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Dyspeptica
Enthusiast

Thanks! Kiwi dude thought that there might be some way to do it with the template language, since custom text is available inside his generate-cover plugin (which also can work as a precursor wrapper to ebook-convert) but he was unsure of how that would work. But the trick is to insert what I want into the stream, since the generate-cover plugin willactually handle what I want, but I don't want to do it through the gui. Any thoughts, or is it a case of 'Damn I hate it when that happens!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Dyspeptica
Enthusiast

Multi-Line Title

Revisiting this issue. The generate-cover plugin allows custom text with separate lines.
How is that done internally? Is there no way that the (internal) variables cannot be seen/exposed for external poking?

Tags
ebook-convert, insert, title