Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Important Update for iOS 5 Users

http://blog.kobobooks.com/important-...r-ios-5-users/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I don't have an iOS device, but I have been following the developers on this. I believe it is necessary because of a change that Apple made that is resulting in deletions of data on their devices. It's not just Kobo or a Kobo problem.

They have been looking for some sort of workaround for awhile. I'm glad that have it, though from my perspective as a non-iOS user, the Apple policies that make third party apps less functional are unfortunate. My understanding is that when data from their own products/services/apps get deleted, the data lives on in their servers.

Last edited by taming; 12-09-2011 at 06:41 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
been using this version for a couple of days

with previous version i lost many items (totally from library) 3 times in 2 weeks

with this new one, instead of it deleting them totally, it removes them from iOS only and leaves them in the library and just gives a message in iOS of tap to download

so far this update is looking good. have mine set to always keep the latest 5 (seems to store about 15 before it auto removes from device)
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Here's the skinny on the changes.

iOS5 has iCloud, which will backup data from an app to your iCloud account, everyone gets 5GB for free, you want more, you can pay for it.

Typically apps store data in the Documents folder within the application, and yes, books were being stored there.

Apple had new data storage guidelines for iOS 5 which state that only user generated data can remain in the Documents folder, and downloaded books are not seen as user generated data and so have to be relocated elsewhere, usually the Caches folder within the Library folder of the app.

The problem with the caches folder is, and this is another iOS5 new feature, if you are running low on "disk" space (note this is storage space, not the memory capacity) on your device then the OS will decided to delete data from an application. What this means is your books would be deleted, and you would need to download them again, obviously not a good user experience.

Many developers were in this position and somewhat annoyed that user's data would be deleted.

The Kobo app had to be modified to meet these new Guidelines, and version 5.0 did do so.

In iOS 5.0.1 Apple introduced a "do not back up" flag, which allowed developers to store content in the Caches folder, and set this flag on a file / folder and therefore when disk space was low, the OS would not remove those items. Therefore users books would not be deleted.

The blog post is there to explain to users what is going on and what the changes are, and, if they are on iOS 5.0, they should upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 for the best user experience.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Here's the skinny on the changes.
Thanks very much for excellent detailed explanation.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
But it is so slow. I ended up turning off all the alerts and comments etc. Page turns remind me of eink,tap the button and a second later a new page. Oh when oh when will an updated android version with full text justification be released?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:49 AM   #7
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks for the update on how it works, it makes sense what has been happening now, just wish apps where allowed to make use of more available space, I have a 64 GB touch with plenty of free space so don't know why apple prevent the apps from using it

out of interest, how much space are apps allowed to use ?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:02 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
thanks for the update on how it works, it makes sense what has been happening now, just wish apps where allowed to make use of more available space, I have a 64 GB touch with plenty of free space so don't know why apple prevent the apps from using it

out of interest, how much space are apps allowed to use ?
You misunderstand the change. Applications can use as much space as is available, but data that can't be purged now has to be specifically marked as such by the application. It's to allow the o/s to optimize the available storage when space does start to run low - this change allows it to know what data can be tossed overboard, and what has to stay. The issue is that apps have to be modified to take advantage of the new facility.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:28 AM   #9
paulsalter
Fanatic

thanks for update, but, I am getting confused now over this

I have about 10 GB free on my iPod
Kobo app is using about 200 MB

This should easily allow my full library to be stored on the device (only 24 books at the moment), it has currently removed 5 books from device due to not enough space

this new update is much better as its only removed the books from the device and not my library, just can't see how it only stores so few

not a complaint, fairly happy with new version, just trying to understand it

sorry if these are dumb questions or would be more suited to an apple forum
Old 12-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Books are stored in a "cache" area; not the regular storage. So the question has to be ... How much of that 10 GB is CACHE and how much is considered DOCUMENTS (for user created data).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks for update, but, I am getting confused now over this

I have about 10 GB free on my iPod
Kobo app is using about 200 MB

This should easily allow my full library to be stored on the device (only 24 books at the moment), it has currently removed 5 books from device due to not enough space

this new update is much better as its only removed the books from the device and not my library, just can't see how it only stores so few

not a complaint, fairly happy with new version, just trying to understand it

sorry if these are dumb questions or would be more suited to an apple forum
Not dumb questions at all.

So, we'll take it we are running iOS 5.0.1 and Kobo app version 5.1

There are options in the setting for the app for how many current reads will we keep:
10 most recent items
5 most recent items
my current read
no items

What this actually means is that we will set X number of books with the "do not back up" flag. What this actually does is a) tell iOS that these items should not be backed up to your iCloud account, if they are in a folder where this would happen, and b) when the device is in a low storage situation do NOT delete these X items.

Given the above, if iOS 5 detects low disk space the following will happen if you have a library with 30 books.

10 most recent reads selected
Up to 10 most recent books will be preserved all other books will be deleted by the OS.

5 most recent reads selected
Up to 5 most recent books will be preserved all other books will be deleted by the OS.

my current read
Your current read will be preserved all other books will be deleted by the OS

no items
all books in your library will be deleted by the OS

One thing to note is that the OS might not delete all other books, it will delete enough items to free up a certain amount of disk space.

I guess we could have an option to keep all your books, and I will mention that as there might be a technical reason we don't do this, beyond Apple not wanting apps to store lots of data on device, however, in our case, we find a lot of users will load up their device with all their books and then go offline, so if the OS decides, on it's own, to delete your books and you're offline, you cannot download them until you have a network connection.

Last edited by Sharkus; 12-11-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
paulsalter
Fanatic

Many thanks for the detailed explanation

I understand what its doing now and why with previous version I was losing books
Old 12-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Many thanks for the detailed explanation

I understand what its doing now and why with previous version I was losing books
It is also possible you will lose books in the current version, as we only mark X books as "do not back up"; ie; do not delete.

I did ask about simply marking all books with this flag and the response was that it's not likely, due to the app possibly being rejected by Apple, as they may not take kindly to us explicitly storing ≥200 MB of data on the device, when, technically the user can obtain it again.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
paulsalter
Fanatic

thanks

can you clarify a bit more on the possible to lose books bit

on previous version, it removed books from device and also removed them from my library
with the current one it seems to just remove from device (get a message of tap to download after it has deleted some)

is this new version likely to affect my library at all or just books on the device?

Thanks
Old 12-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
Sharkus
Evangelist

The deletion from your Library was due to a) a server issue and b) an app issue. The app issue was fixed with version 5.1 of the app, so it should not happen any longer.

If you manually delete a book then it is basically just removed from your "I'm Reading" list, you can add it back in by going into either the Purchases or Trash lists and using the Undelete option.