Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Amazon Announces Kindle for Sale in Australia

Dick Smith has advertised that the Amazon Kindle will be arriving soon to Dick Smith and Big W stores in Australia — and also to Woolworths supermarkets.

The two models that will be made available are the 3G + Wi-Fi, and the Wi-Fi only, for AU$219 and AU$159, respectively. Compared to the Kindle prices on the Amazon store, which are US$189 and US$139 respectively, this is only a little more than Australian customers can expect to pay by ordering it directly, even with Amazon's shipping on top.

The Kindles are available for pre-order on the Big W and Dick Smith websites now, and will be available to buy in Woolworths supermarkets in Australia and Countdown supermarkets in New Zealand.

Benedict Brook, Media Relations Manager of Woolworths, told CNET Australia, "E-readers are becoming very common, and we didn't want to restrict Australian customers to technology stores. Woolworths, Big W and Dick Smith are all known and trusted in Australia, so customers will feel that they can trust those stores."

The Dick Smith and Big W websites cite their reasons for buying the Kindle locally rather from Amazon as: free shipping; a local customer service team; local returns if the Kindle breaks; and the availability of additional accessories, such as wall chargers and cases.

"Australian consumers haven't had the chance up till now to have a look at and feel of the Kindle, and they will also have people there to answer their questions. Buying here will be better from buying overseas, where customers may not have had the opportunity to ask questions and get feedback.

"If for any reason they want to bring their Kindle back, they can also do that locally," Mr Brook said.
The Kindles are due to ship 29 August 2011, and will be available in Woolworths, Dick Smith, Big W and Countdown stores on 31 August.

This will make life easier. I will be at the front of the line when the K4 comes out.

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Haven't heard the Woolworths store name in years here in the USA. Growing up in the 1960s we had a five-and-dime variety store chain called Woolworths, or more specifically F.W. Woolworth & Co., they had stores all over the place. I doubt they are related though as the USA store apparently went out of business a long time ago.
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yippee!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:17 AM   #4
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
According to the Dick Smith New Zealand web site the Kindle is also coming to New Zealand, with pre-order available for late August delivery. $209 for the wi-fi version and $289 for the 3G version. http://dicksmith.co.nz/offer/kindle
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
That is excellent news. I have my kindle and don't need another one yet but it should boost sales here plus it will be great for people to actually see what they are buying.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
My friend can now stop bugging me to send her one and just get one herself.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Haven't heard the Woolworths store name in years here in the USA. Growing up in the 1960s we had a five-and-dime variety store chain called Woolworths, or more specifically F.W. Woolworth & Co., they had stores all over the place. I doubt they are related though as the USA store apparently went out of business a long time ago.
Hello Jack, we also have Woolworths stores over here in South Africa, they are allied to Marks & Spencer in the UK, There are still Woolworths stores in the UK, also F.W. Woolworths but they are quite a different prospect to the ones that I know.
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinafrica View Post
{...}
There are still Woolworths stores in the UK, also F.W. Woolworths but they are quite a different prospect to the ones that I know.

Paul
The Woolworths stores in the UK were locally owned but alas they went out of business a year since so the name has gone.

The original M&S and Woolworths business model "don't ask the price it's sixpence" is now back with 99p and Poundsland and others of course.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #9
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I wonder now when Dick Smith and the like will get the new Kindle 4 versions as that is all I'm interested in. Mainly the Kindle 4 non touch. Would be great to be able to see one and handle it a bit before buying.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #10
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
When I saw that only the base K4 was available to us in OZ I actually made contact with Dick smith. I called their two largest stores in Queensland and got nothing. I then contact DSE online and spoke to somebody there. They knew even less but suggested I send them an email as it would be forwarded to the buyer. I did this and it went to somebody who was the Aust and NZ buyer for Kindle and all they could tell me in thier response was that they hoped they would be able to get some but had no idea how or when. They did say that the K3 had been a massive seller for them and that they had been selling as fast as they came into the store.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #11
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
That's good, means they will hopefully make a real effort to get the K4's in as quickly as possible. Though they will probably wait or be made to wait to stock the K4 that is available now until all the K4's are available. I suppose you can always order one via Amazon for $109 plus shipping which brings it to about $140 though. Probably around the same price they'd put on it here. Would be nice to see one first though. However if they don't have any by the second week of December I don't think I'd wait. Though if possible they'd be smart to get them before Christmas. They'd sell like hotcakes.

As a side note, it's pathetic they didn't know the new Kindle's had come out.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote