Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Quiss
Spits infinitives
Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
Multiple publishers for ebooks?

Hi
I just published with Lulu (ebook only) but from what I gather they don't distribute to places like Kobo or Sony.

Probably a stupid question, but is it possible to sell the same book, with different ISBNs, at different places, such as selling it both at Lulu and Smashwords?

Be it law or convention, what are the rules of engagement here?

I would think that there'd be some confusion if Lulu lists my book with iBooks, for example, and then so does Smashwords.

Last edited by Quiss; 08-13-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Quiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiss View Post
Hi
I just published with Lulu (ebook only) but from what I gather they don't distribute to places like Kobo or Sony.

Probably a stupid question, but is it possible to sell the same book, with different ISBNs, at different places, such as selling it both at Lulu and Smashwords?

Be it law or convention, what are the rules of engagement here?
You can publish direct with B&N and Kobo. But, you should have fairly good code in the ePub before you publish.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Check the terms of service and all that of each publisher. For example, if you're on Amazon's KDP, you can only use KDP until you get the chance to opt out- usually after three months or so. Smashwords and BookieJar, on the other hand, don't seem to care as long as some other company doesn't stop you.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yes, you can, unless there's something in your agreement/clause that mentioned exclusivity (normally there isn't). Technically, you are the publisher and copyright owner, so there is no issue (although Smashwords takes on the role of non-exclusive publisher if I'm not mistaken).

But there's also the agreement with retailers, as teh603 pointed out. But again, the rights to grant it is yours.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Check the terms of service and all that of each publisher. For example, if you're on Amazon's KDP, you can only use KDP until you get the chance to opt out- usually after three months or so.
That's only if you pick the KDP Select option where you get exclusivity benefits.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I would suggest you drop Lulu as I do not think they get you in any major stores that you can not get in to else where.

Smashwords will get you in to all the major outlets, except Amazon. Amazon you can publish directly too. Those two should be the minimum. Smash has also been branching out in to libraries, slowly, but its a good start.

Beyond that to expand your options you may want to consider:

1) Direct pub to Barns and Noble - Smash will get you in, but B&N is the second largest market so you may want more direct control over it.

2) Direct pub to Kobo - Smash will get you in, but they have the potential to turn in to a huge player in the future, and if so you may want more direct control over it.

3) Direct pub to Bookie Jar. Smash does not get you in there, so if you want to tap that market, you need to go direct.

4) If your book is free, you may want to look at OBooko also.

Their maybe other options too, but start small and work your way outwards so that you do not get overwhelmed.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But when you direct publish the ePub, don't use a Word document as the source unless you are willing to do the work needed to clean it up and make the code nice. Use Sigil to make the ePub from the source.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Quiss
Spits infinitives
Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
Thanks, all
I published on Amazon yesterday. They did not accept the mobi created by caliber (even through their preview software displayed it just fine), nor the HTM file produced by Word, so I ended up having to upload the docx
Looks good in their emulator for all available models - I don't actually own a Kindle

I'm hoping to use Lulu to get into Apple, basically. And B&N

Good point about Kobo. Kobo is much in use here in Canada due to Chapters' popularity.

Now how does one get into the Sony Reader store...?

Q.
Quiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, all
I published on Amazon yesterday. They did not accept the mobi created by caliber (even through their preview software displayed it just fine), nor the HTM file produced by Word, so I ended up having to upload the docx
Looks good in their emulator for all available models - I don't actually own a Kindle

I'm hoping to use Lulu to get into Apple, basically. And B&N

Good point about Kobo. Kobo is much in use here in Canada due to Chapters' popularity.

Now how does one get into the Sony Reader store...?

Q.
Smash will get you in B&N (though you can go direct to B&N), Sony, Apple, and many others. Much better deal then Lulu.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Go direct where you can (B&N and Kobo). But you'll need to make your code clean. Word can make a hell of a mess even filtered HTML can be a nightmare. I've used Calibre to convert, but then taken the ePub into Sigil and renamed the split files and made sure the spits are correct and that the NCX is correct. Then I've used Notepad++ from there to edit he XML and CSS as needed to remove most (if not all) of the Calibre created styles and put in my own.

It can be a lot of work, but it has to be done if you want a good looking ePub that you can be pretty sure will work with multiple devices. The problem is some of the mess that Word puts in causes problems with things like fonts, night mode, sometimes even changing the font size doesn't work.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
lissie
Enthusiast
lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I think Sigil is an unnecessary step - I take the HTML from word/OO/scrivener straight into notepad and do the rest of the formatting there. I then create the mobi file using kindle previewer which uploads to Amazon perfectly.

From there I've heard - but haven't yet done so that - Kobo will take mobi and create a clean epub format.

I'm dropping out of SW unless they can get with the plot and stop this nonsense of requiring a doc file to submit
lissie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissie View Post
I think Sigil is an unnecessary step - I take the HTML from word/OO/scrivener straight into notepad and do the rest of the formatting there. I then create the mobi file using kindle previewer which uploads to Amazon perfectly.

From there I've heard - but haven't yet done so that - Kobo will take mobi and create a clean epub format.

I'm dropping out of SW unless they can get with the plot and stop this nonsense of requiring a doc file to submit
A better text editor to use instead of Notepad is Notepad++ (FREE). It supports regexp, tabs, and a lot of other features that make editing eBooks a lot easier to do.

As for going from Mobi to ePub, don't do it. It doesn't work as neatly as you think (in most cases). You are best to go ePub > Mobi and I know for a fact that that can work neatly in most cases.

So go with ePub make your code nice and neat and in most cases, it will convert fairly well using Kindlegen. Also, by having the ePub ready to go, you can put it up at B&N and Kobo directly without the need for Smashwords.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-25-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks, all
Forgive the obvious question, but why didn't you use Amazon's proper tool for creating your Mobi? Kindlegen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A better text editor to use instead of Notepad is Notepad++ (FREE). It supports regexp, tabs, and a lot of other features that make editing eBooks a lot easier to do.
There's also Geany, which should be available on all platforms. Takes a little configuration, but not too much.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard

Notepad++ ROCKS. Just saying.