Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Sigil has suddenly ceased to funtion

Sigil has very abruptly stopped working. I'm running XP, when I attempt to open an epub, Sigil crashes (eventually) with following error:

Error info: Critical: QFontEngineWin: GetTextMetrics failed ()
Sigil version: 0.5.3
Runtime Qt: 4.7.4
Compiled Qt: 4.7.4
Platform: Windows SysInfo ID 48

It used to work. It doesn't anymore. Nothing has changed. It did uninstall and then reinstalled Sigil. No difference, still no longer works.

Works fine with the same file running Ubuntu. Any thoughts?
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect there is now a corrupt font in the Windows font directory (possibly from a recent WinUpdate or a newly installed program (with font included) )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
KamenoHayasa
KamenoHayasa herds cats with both ease and graceKamenoHayasa herds cats with both ease and graceKamenoHayasa herds cats with both ease and graceKamenoHayasa herds cats with both ease and graceKamenoHayasa herds cats with both ease and graceKamenoHayasa herds cats with both ease and graceKamenoHayasa herds cats with both ease and graceKamenoHayasa herds cats with both ease and graceKamenoHayasa herds cats with both ease and graceKamenoHayasa herds cats with both ease and graceKamenoHayasa herds cats with both ease and grace

Location: They'd call me froggy but I hate eating frogs... T_T Yuck !
Device: PC and I'd love a kobo later on.
Hi,
I just had the same issue with Sigil 0.9.8.
° Reinstalling did not fix the issue.
° Rebooting did not fix the issue.

Due to the remark above I attempted to Rebuilt my Font Cache.
There is a script that does it for Windows 10
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html
After reboot Sigil did work again.
Just to complete because the above message while pointing out a possible issue, do not give a clear solution on how to fix it.
Regards,

P.S. :
I just started Sigil and I got the message again. Last time it could have been something to do with a corrupted Fontcache for I installed fonts the day before. That time it should not happen for such reason. Yet I saw the message again but unlike last time Sigil started anyway.

Regards,

P.S. 2:
OK so the thing that causes this message is actually not necessarily due to font cache. It seems to be happening when you customize the fonts of the GUI and use Google Fonts in particular.
Either something goes wrong with Google Fonts, Either the API that Sigil uses or a part of its own code is buggy.
I did a screen cast. You don't need to watch it entirely. It is just showing how it behaves. By the middle of the video I suggest Google Font may be what causes the issue and try to find fonts that were here before I installed them. using those fonts just work like a charm. However the drop down menu is also buggy because it needs to deal with Google Fonts likely.
I'm wondering if the real cause is Google Font or non robust font management should it be Sigil or Qt API. But at least we have a sample of the bug no matter where it comes from.
https://youtu.be/P8GqsO17aQY

Last edited by KamenoHayasa; 10-08-2017 at 02:14 PM.
KamenoHayasa is offline   Reply With Quote