Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #31
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Unfortunately, this range is in the part of the document that is corrupted. I enclose screenshots of all the remaining pages that seem to have defined special characters on them (some are named differently, and some display the wrong character).
They certainly get a lot of them wrong. I am surprised. It looks like PMN Caecilia has the critical ones for eBook use but they must be in the corrupt part of the document. Of course it is pretty easy to make a new document from an HTML page using Mobipocket creator. There are a bunch of good html pages at http://webdesign.about.com/library/bl_htmlcodes.htm
or you can use the ones in our wiki as a starting point. start with characters to see what it there.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #32
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Document Corrupted?

I'm not sure what you guys mean by the document being "corrupted" but I can download it and open it under Windows Vista Mobipocket Reader and I assure you that there the document is not corrupted and correctly displays all the Glyphs that Microsoft has implemented which is virtually all 60,000+ Unicode Glyphs. The only "corruption" I see in the document there is that I did not bother to left-justified the Canadians because there are so darned many of them that I just decided to "pack them it". They are all there they are just not left-justified. So, I would claim that if this document looks "corrupted" to you on some other reader, then it is not a document problem, but rather demonstrates that the reader you are looking at, Kindle or whatever, doesn't bother to implement all the Unicode Glyph points or implements them incorrectly. Which would be a "design shortcoming" or maybe if you like a "corruption" on the part of the reader, but not a "corruption of the document."

???
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #33
jimad
Connoisseur

My Bad

Sorry -- I think I just figured out what you guys are talking about: namely the Kindle doc in question is from Wikipedia "List of Unicode" editing out the table formatting which Kindle doesn't support. And that wikipedia document is incomplete -- it doesn't give the names of all the unicode glyphs nor representations thereof. So I guess you meant "corropt" in the sense of being an incomplete listing of all the Unicode Glyphs, which is a true statement.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #34
jimad
Connoisseur

New Test File with "all" 64,000 Unicode Test Points

Okay, I've put up a "new and improved and incredibly crude" Unicode test file up at http://www.freekindlebooks.org in the Unicode section that includes all 64,000 unicode test points so that you can test what upper puncs etc Kindle supports. Cheers! -- Jim
Old 04-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #35
jimad
Connoisseur

Kindle REALLY doesn't like some Unicode code point!

I've taken the previous Unicode test file back down off the freekindlebooks site because my Kindle REALLY doesn't like some Unicode test point somewhere around decimal 500 -- IE Kindle dies a horrible death where it will not thereafter successfully open ANY book until you do a hard reset by sticking a sharp object into it! Ouch! So, this being very scary I don't think y'all want to be testing Kindle with this file. I can read it fine from Mobipocket Reader so I know its a "valid" file -- its just that some Unicode test point is causing Kindle to die a horrible death. If anyone else has tried this on their Kindle the way to recover is to power down, take off the back cover and stick an unbent paper clip into the "Reset" hole. *Sigh* Not Fun.
Advert