Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
kongzifan
Enthusiast
kongzifan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPhone, iPad
Newspaper title is a mess for zaobao.com

I use Calibre to download news from www.zaobao.com for me every morning. Most of the converted ebook looks good, except that the Chinese part of the name (title) of the newspaper is a mess instead of showing as "联合早报". Could somebody fix this issue? Thanks!
kongzifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongzifan View Post
I use Calibre to download news from www.zaobao.com for me every morning. Most of the converted ebook looks good, except that the Chinese part of the name (title) of the newspaper is a mess instead of showing as "联合早报". Could somebody fix this issue? Thanks!
Does it fail only on your reader, or also when viewed with calibre's built in ebook viewer?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
kongzifan
Enthusiast

It fails on Calibre's built-in ebook viewer, too. The only place I saw the newspaper name (联合早报网 zaobao.com), is the 1st page of the mobi file, which is shown as "????" (see the attached image). But the Chinese characters in everywhere else is correctly displayed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-E-book Viewer.png
Views:	169
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	78797  
Old 11-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That cannot be fixed (it's a limitation of the font used in generating the cover, which does not support chinese characters).
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #5
kongzifan
Enthusiast

Is it possible to simply display "zaobao.com" for the name of the newspaper? "zaobao.com" would be more comfortable to see than "???? zaobao.com" , I think.

Thanks a lot for your excellent work!
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
kongzifan
Enthusiast

After reading Calibre documentation, I saw that I can customize a built-in recipe, and can change the news title there.

Another question is, in the "Sections and Articles" two column page, I would like the "Sections" column to take less space, while the "Articles" column to take more space. Can we do this by modifying the recipe code? Thanks!

Last edited by kongzifan; 11-10-2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, that is not controllable in a recipe.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
kongzifan
Enthusiast

I asked because long article titles for zaobao.com often get truncated in the first line, even though there is more space for it in the second line. There is no such issue for the recipe of BBC News. I think this has nothing to do with the widths of left and right columns, but might be a bug in the recipe of zaobao.com.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Copenhagenmail
Copenhagenmail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have a Kindle 3G (now called Keyboard) and using Calibre I subscribe to two Danish newspapers. They all have an image in the header on the main page which looks like a big smudge. Upon very careful inspection I can see Calibre vertically on the left and some sort of design fills the rest of the field. Is it possible to change this? I tried to change the cover illustration in the metadata - but nothing happened.

I am REALLY pleased with the news function (and so many others too!) and this is just a minor annoyance compared to the great usefulness of this feature.

BTW the general display/layout of the newspaper is exacltly like the paid newspaper subscriptions I have on my Kindle from Amazon. Perhaps this is different on other e-book readers?

Last edited by Copenhagenmail; 11-10-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Copenhagenmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:27 AM   #10
Copenhagenmail
Copenhagenmail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Today, all newspapers work fine, with the correct header! How strange.
Copenhagenmail is offline   Reply With Quote