Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Question Removing phantom Collections

Once upon a time, I transferred an ebook to my Sony reader that I had labeled as part of a collection. After reading the book, I deleted it from the reader. However, even though the book is no longer there, Page 1 of the menu still shows 1 collection, and upon pressing that button, the title of the book is shown, along with "No book" at the far right of the screen.

Is there a way to remove this phantom collection? Obviously it's not really a problem, but I'm surprised the reader continues to show the name of a collection even though there are currently no books included in that collection.

Deleting a book is an easy process - is there a way to delete an empty collection?

Thanks.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
If you have the connect software. When you connect your reader it will show the collection allowing you to delete it by right clicking on it.

I had a similar problem. Small but annoying
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, jimbob - that took care of the problem. As you indicated, it's a small problem, but you would think the reader would not indicate a collection unless at least one book from that collection was actually on the reader at the time.

Thanks again.

SteveK
Old 01-31-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Thanks, jimbob - that took care of the problem. As you indicated, it's a small problem, but you would think the reader would not indicate a collection unless at least one book from that collection was actually on the reader at the time.

Thanks again.

SteveK
They probably did it that way in case you wanted to keep that collection.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:33 AM   #5
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
They probably did it that way in case you wanted to keep that collection.
Probably right Lilac but it always surprises me that it's the little things like that that i find annoying.

I've no problem with the update of the page and am patient when a new book i've added is being built by the reader but the empty collection annoyed me.

I have to ask the question though. Do the designers use the reader day to day. If they did i'd say you would see regular updates to fix little niggles like this.
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One can look at these things in different ways. A collection is, in effect, a "virtual" folder. Would you expect a folder to be automatically deleted simply because there were no files in it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
SteveK
Addict

That's a good point, HarryT.

As I indicated, it certainly wasn't a big problem; it was just something that surprised me a bit. However, your explanation certainly makes sense.

Thanks!

SteveK