Yes, in the chapter heading and no tranistion text 15 26.79%
Yes, in the chapter heading and also with transition text 3 5.36%
No in the chapter heading, but yes in the transition text 7 12.50%
Does not matter, either/both works for me. 31 55.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
How is that?
How it's done in the books?
G.R.R. Martin uses the name of the POV character as chapter header. Though I'd wish he'd (or rather his publisher) use more than that for the table of contents.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #17
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
How it's done in the books?
G.R.R. Martin uses the name of the POV character as chapter header. Though I'd wish he'd (or rather his publisher) use more than that for the table of contents.
See I was thinking something like

Chapter 1: Joe
Chapter 2: Diane
Chapter 3: Joe
Chapter 4: Joe
Chapter 5: Joe
Chapter 6: Mike
Chapter 7: Mike
Chapter 8: Mike
Chapter 9: Diane

Something like that as the "name" of the chapter that would show up in the TOC and the heading of the chapter would look like this

Quote:
Chapter 1
Joe
Chapter Text here, and it is really good stuff, but you need to get book to see more then just this lame attempt at random filler. Chapter Text here, and it is really good stuff, but you need to get book to see more then just this lame attempt at random filler. Chapter Text here, and it is really good stuff, but you need to get book to see more then just this lame attempt at random filler. Chapter Text here, and it is really good stuff, but you need to get book to see more then just this lame attempt at random filler.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #18
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Spoke to soon.. the "put it in the header" crowd is growing. Hmm.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Multiple first-person viewpoints is a bit oddball - I'd normally expect a single viewpoint in first, and multiple viewpoints in third (or multiple viewpoints with one first and others third) - but as long as I'm not confused (or, not by accident, at least) I'm fine.
I agree with DrNefario. My favorite author, Louis L'Amour, does both first-person and third-person. But, in books with more than one main character, never does first-person. It just seems odd and would get confusing trying to remember who's point of view I was in whether it's in stated in the heading or first paragraph or whatever.

Sue Grafton always does first-person and it makes the stories seem more real to me. But again, there's only one main character. There's never any question who the "I" is.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Barbara Kingsolver uses multiple 1st person POV in her book Poisonwood Bible. It's divided into "books" and each starts with the mum's POV, then cycles through the daughters, often giving multiple sections to some of them.

Early in the book, when the reader's still getting used to the voices of each of the speakers, having the names in the headings helps. Though I found that partway through it, I had enough sense of the voices, I mentally skipped reading the headings, though they were there if I needed them.

As others say, it's a matter of clarity, and headings seems to be a very obvious way to make it clear without having to try to work the name of the POV character into the first paragraph or so of each section.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
As mentioned, GRRM uses it in the chapter heading to good effect.

It really depends on the book and the writer. It's about clear communication. There are some arguments to be made for the reader not to have a clear delineation in this shift in perspective, depending on the nature of the story.

I say: do whatever works for the story. If no headings gets in the way of the story, use headings. If no headings adds to or helps the story in some way, don't use them. If it really doesn't matter to what you are trying to communicate, I'd default to using them as some readers may find them handy and the others will just glide past them.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #22
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
If it really doesn't matter to what you are trying to communicate, I'd default to using them as some readers may find them handy and the others will just glide past them.
I am starting to lean this way. There are some chapters where I do not want the reader to know, but I can work around that.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #23
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Chapter 1
Joe

Chapter Text here, and it is really good stuff, but you need to get book to see more then just this lame attempt at random filler.
That would certainly work for me.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #24
VydorScope
Wizard

Just bumping this to see if they are any more votes out there...