Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
thomasmorus
Connoisseur
thomasmorus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
EBook reader - Calibre

Hello all

I am looking for the ebook reader which works best with Calibre!
I had a sony 505 and I am using Ipad at the moment, but want something lighter and with a e Ink or similar display for reading only, especially as i have reading on the IPAD in bright sunlight.

Thanks for your help

Thomas
thomasmorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would avoid the Kobo. It stores its library data in an internal database which appears to be rather prone to be wiped out if anything goes awry.

Other than that, all the mainstream devices seem to work well with Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would avoid the Kobo. It stores its library data in an internal database which appears to be rather prone to be wiped out if anything goes awry.

Other than that, all the mainstream devices seem to work well with Calibre.
Kobo allows you to store your library on an SD card if you wish. Data on the sd is not "wiped out" even if you do a factory reset. The Mini is the exception, it does not have an SD slot. The statement that it is prone to wipe out the library data is based on what exactly? Please give specifics?
From personal experience Calibre works very well with Kobo devices (Sony too), including creating shelves.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The issue, if I recall the details correctly, is that the Kobo stores details of its library in a SQLite database, and it certainly used to be the case that if you did things even slightly wrongly with Calibre, the database would be corrupted, and all your books would thereby disappear. It may well be that this issue has been sorted out now - the OP can probably get more details in the Calibre forum.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-07-2013 at 03:13 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
You might want to wait. A number of manufacturers are expected to release a new model late Summer / Autumn.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The issue, if I recall the details correctly, is that the Kobo stores details of its library in a SQLite database, and it certainly used to be the case that if you did things even slightly wrongly with Calibre, the database would be corrupted, and all your books would thereby disappear. It may well be that this issue has been sorted out now - the OP can probably get more details in the Calibre forum.
I don't believe calibre is breaking the database (unless the USB cable is pulled during an update, and I don't think you can blame calibre for that). I think that because of the way the database is accessed from the driver, it highlights any problems that have come up in other ways. When this happens, other strange things will happen when using the device. The fix isn't to painful, but it means you lose the reading state for any sideloaded books.

For the OP, I think the integration of the current Kobo devices with calibre is very good. But, I am also a bit biased. I think the Glo is the best choice (size, price, light, external SD card) but the Mini is a good choice if you want a smaller device. Plus they come at a very good price.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, e ink reader, ipad