Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Dead Kindle Fire 1st Gen

I have been gifted a 1st gen kindle fire. The battery seems to be dead and the previous owner says that something internal swelled enough to pop off the display panel (he and I assume it was the battery). The unit will boot up if connected to a charger, but the battery will not charge even if left plugged in for many hours.

Anyone know if it's repairable and is it worth repairing? I know I could call kindle CS, but was wondering if anybody here has any input before I go that route.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
you'll have to replace the battery
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
they don't cost much on ebay I don't think... if the display is already popped off than it shouldn't be to hard to replace...
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah.. Lot's of battery replacements online, most with extraction tools and instructions. Display works fine, though I would try to find a way to ensure it remains in the case.

I'll have to research prices, but it's going to have to wait a while. Just got a Kindle Fire HD for my birthday and am busy playing with that now.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I recommend a call to Batteries Plus and/or their web site at batteriesplus.com. Their corporate slogan is "If it runs on batteries we got it." I think that you should present the same thing to Batteries Plus that you presented here and let them advise you. Any sales person that uses a negative or a contraction with you, a customer, is an honest sales person and you should hang on to him/her, for example "the battery does not need to be replaced" (there is the negative, the fourth word) or "you don't need to replace that" (see the contraction). Batteries plus has told three told me three times in the last three times I spoke to them "Well you could replace the battery but its not necessary" there is the negative.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Well, no... In this case the battery *does* need to be replaced. It no longer accepts a charge and it (probably) swelled enough to pop off the display. Now I need to decide if it's worth the money and effort to replace the battery and then find someone to gift it to.