Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-12-2008, 03:01 AM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
ummm...I spent some money...Nokia N800 w/all the fixin's

Yeah last night and today I decided, why not, I had a great week selling and decided to blow the budget instead f getting my lab work done this week (doc is gonna be pissed but, eh, I pay him he'll deal with it...) on something much more important.

Anyway I bought:

Nokia N800 Internet Tablet
-- 3 extra batteries w/external charger (could be fake Nokia batteries though...we'll see)
Cradlepoint EVDO CTR350 Router
NP1550 External Battery Pack (to run the router & EVDO modem)
-- 8 Sanyo Eneloop AA Ultra Low Discharge batteries for the pack
8GB SDHC card (can add a 2nd card up to 16gb...allegedly)

Of course I still have to get my sweetie her VD prezzie...but, I can stop by the corner stop 'n rob on the way home, right?

Anyway, I'll be seeing how it works out for reading ebooks. I am pretty much limited to FBreader thought I can and will install the Garnet VM so we'll see if Mobipocket works in there. I know I am boned on DRM content. But I still have my Clie nx73v.

Also since I now know the trick to read it outside IN COLOR and full sunlight, in fact I learned the more direct light the better, I had no compelling reason to buy an e-ink reader. So I decided on something way off the wall that gives me portable internet pretty much anywhere. I can keep the router in my back pack or bag.

So, it's gonna be a new device adventure and I still spent just a few bucks more then a Kindle but not as much as an iLiad. Plus I get to play with a new OS somewhat early in the game and see what shakes loose. And really it meets my needs better then a dedicated ebook device can right now. It even runs Skype & SkypeOut & SkypeIn...ie...pretty much no cell phone thanks to the EVDO modem/router combo...

But I overnighted the N800 so it will be here tomorrow and the cradlepoint on Wednesday. And maybe the batteries and power pack for them will be here by Friday. Leaves me plenty of time to sell some extra stuff and the "better half" will never know...well, until she asked what that new thing is I am fiddling with in bed. Oh, well...hehehehe...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post

Of course I still have to get my sweetie her VD prezzie...but, I can stop by the corner stop 'n rob on the way home, right?
You gave her VD, and she's still with you?!?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You gave her VD, and she's still with you?!?
HECK YA...and she liked it!! but, ummmmm....don't tell her ok?

In the mean time I am still sitting here WAITING for my NextDay UPS delivery which shows the wonderful status of being at the destination hub but designated as "Destination Scan" which can mean almost anything. It will show up...somewhere, today...I loathe UPS...
Old 02-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Also since I now know the trick to read it outside IN COLOR and full sunlight, in fact I learned the more direct light the better, I had no compelling reason to buy an e-ink reader.
What's that trick please?
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Don't give a dose to the one you love the most.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
What's that trick please?

Oops, sorry, thought I was the last person on Earth to discover this trick for the NX series....just turn off the backlight (hold down the off switch rather then a quick flick to turn it off, when you keep it down that turns off the backlight). And from that point actually the more sun the better you can read the display. There can be some reflection issues on the display but a slight tilt or whatever fixes that...or a Boxware Anti-Glare Screen protector (a most recommended key buy if you do not like these frustrating but beautiful new glossy displays.)

Old 02-23-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Thanks for that info!
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
congrats on the tablet. So. how does Mobipocket run on it? How are the linux programs for the Tablet? what programs do you have on it?

Quote:
Yeah last night and today I decided, why not, I had a great week selling and decided to blow the budget instead f getting my lab work done this week (doc is gonna be pissed but, eh, I pay him he'll deal with it...) on something much more important.

Anyway I bought:

Nokia N800 Internet Tablet
-- 3 extra batteries w/external charger (could be fake Nokia batteries though...we'll see)
Cradlepoint EVDO CTR350 Router
NP1550 External Battery Pack (to run the router & EVDO modem)
-- 8 Sanyo Eneloop AA Ultra Low Discharge batteries for the pack
8GB SDHC card (can add a 2nd card up to 16gb...allegedly)

Anyway, I'll be seeing how it works out for reading ebooks. I am pretty much limited to FBreader thought I can and will install the Garnet VM so we'll see if Mobipocket works in there. I know I am boned on DRM content. But I still have my Clie nx73v.

Also since I now know the trick to read it outside IN COLOR and full sunlight, in fact I learned the more direct light the better, I had no compelling reason to buy an e-ink reader. So I decided on something way off the wall that gives me portable internet pretty much anywhere. I can keep the router in my back pack or bag.

So, it's gonna be a new device adventure and I still spent just a few bucks more then a Kindle but not as much as an iLiad. Plus I get to play with a new OS somewhat early in the game and see what shakes loose. And really it meets my needs better then a dedicated ebook device can right now. It even runs Skype & SkypeOut & SkypeIn...ie...pretty much no cell phone thanks to the EVDO modem/router combo...

But I overnighted the N800 so it will be here tomorrow and the cradlepoint on Wednesday. And maybe the batteries and power pack for them will be here by Friday. Leaves me plenty of time to sell some extra stuff and the "better half" will never know...well, until she asked what that new thing is I am fiddling with in bed. Oh, well...hehehehe...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:43 AM   #9
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
congrats on the tablet. So. how does Mobipocket run on it? How are the linux programs for the Tablet? what programs do you have on it?
thanks!! Well, first it doesn't run Mobipocket at all. I have only one reader option and that is FBreader. And while it does not do DRM, it does everything else very well. It seems to have a very nice level of control over look and feel of the book. I cannot recommend it enough.

I am just getting reacquainted with an -nix like environment again after about 15-years away. Slowly it's coming along. I have been at this for about a week or so now, maybe 10-days. But as a rule the system does exactly what I hoped it would. I can use Skype and browse the web for research from pretty much anywhere. I opted for a mobile broadband service a while back and have EVDO access. I can connect the tablet to my now battery powered pocket router that uses the EVDO USB modem I got with the service. Here is a look at everything:

As you can see it is all tiny but the small size is deceiving...It's all very solid hardware. I can have the router/battery pack in my rear pocket or a back pack or wherever and then connect via Wifi to the router and am instantly online. And while driving I have been able to power both devices via an inverter and carry on Skype call with not problem at all. But I expect that will not be the norm as EVDO is not meant to manage tower handoffs like voice comm is...but not a huge problem for me.

As far as apps, well, still waiting on something that can manage to run Across-Lite .puz format xword puzzles there is something for KDE but not sure if anyone will ever get around to porting it to Maemo OS2008 (the newest OS for the N8x0 family). I have found no word processing apps I like nor email client yet so I am making do with Google Docs/Gmail and it's associated tools which all work fine.

I do however get a LOT of use from a VNC client on the tablet via which I can access my system here and run any application I want remotely and it is fast. So, in a pinch I can fire that up to run a report or whatever...need to get the VPN back up and running to secure all my remote access better but one thing at a time.

I like Mplayer a lot...does a nice job with even streaming video, even DIVX. But the tablets are fussy about video right now. Some codec and sound driver issues still. So, what I do is re-encode my video here in batches at night to specs which the tablet will play flawlessly. Since almost all of my video content is in DIVX format I pretty much just use Mplayer. If VLC ever gets of their can we might get decent NSV streaming playback...

Office apps just are not quite there yet though there are some promising candidates. I just need some word processing, email and a calendar. I would like a database environment too. I found one today but have not looked at it closely. In the mean time I will just create some pages on one of my servers and stuff what I need in a SQL DB for the time being. That way I can do a lot of what I need via the browser.

BTW, the new browser is fantastic. If has Flash 9 (shuuuuuddder) included but you can disable it. The browser renders pages very well and quickly, especially so for a handheld. I did copy over my HOSTS file from XP to keep ads blocked out easily. I had to ensure the correct entries for the Maemo OS were in there first though.

basically I have been playing around with it a lot to get a feel. I added an iGo keyboard which will help as soon as I map some shortcuts for the GUI functions. But again it takes time...

Overall I use the tablet A LOT. I prefer it most times for searching the web because it's handy and I don't need to be wherever the laptop is at the moment. My eyeballs are adjusting to the text though it can be scaled. And there is a glaring issue to me...no direct way to change default fonts or font sizes. It has only scaling of the entire page. On many sites this is fine but on others it makes reading a trying task at best.

Oh, from what I understand it may be NEVER that it gets a Java runtime. Many reasons but most important is the ARM licensing is a problem. I understand the hooks are in the OS but they cannot provide the runtime. Sad but true. It means no online banking, many of my fav sites will not work or the non-java versions just, well, blow. Yet, again over time this could improve.

Now as for memory I can expand to the max available right now of 32gb in each slot for a total of 64gb on the N800. The same cannot be said for the N810 as it has only one card slot with 2gb hardwired into the system to make room for the keyboard. One of the least heralded differences between the two devices is the N810 has a trans-reflective display that is apparently very readable outdoors. I would not exaggerate to say the N800 does not excel outdoors...it's an indoor kinda pet. Still I'll take the 64gb (if one could afford the cost of 32gb cards right now...) SDHC cards over the display. I can always use the Clie outdoors.

It is easy to say I am one happy camper with this setup...all I need is a keg and a catheter for life to be perfect as I have my La-y-boy (which I pretend is a Herman Miller Exclusive in disguise) and my reader devices.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:37 AM   #10
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Thanks for that info!

yawsureyoubettcha...happytadoit....
Old 02-26-2008, 08:17 AM   #11
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yawsureyoubettcha...happytadoit....
Thanx for the details in your review. It looks great for what you want. Too bad about the glare. have you read any ebooks on it yet?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #12
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Thanx for the details in your review. It looks great for what you want. Too bad about the glare. have you read any ebooks on it yet?
Cool, glad it made sense and was helpful for ya!! I appreciate your comment...it's been a long week already and that made me smile.

Due to the 'glare' issue the tablet could be hard to read. The display is one of those super glossy display's. Any manner of light source behind, above or to the side could cause a significant reflection (which I think we all tend to incorrectly refer to as glare, I know I do all the time and never correct myself.) But the screen protector from BoxWave, the Anti-Glare version stops that issue completely. Plus it also adds a very familiar paper-like texture as you write, point or otherwise fondle the display. Never thought I would drop $15 for a 4" paper thin piece of plastic but, turns out it's worth every penny...but it sure takes an awful lot of pennies!

As for reading eBooks, I read at least two hours every evening and here and there during the day. I LOVE the display in full screen portrait mode with a slightly parchment colored background and black 26pt text. FBReader gives me so much control it's amazing. It does however, and surprisingly so, lacks bookmarks...that kinda stinks but there is so much other control it's fine. And there is even a special tab for the Nokia Tablets to adjust the touch sensitivity of the screen within the reader environment. And it WORKS...there was a problem with a tap on the screen jumping several pages. Once the settings were changed everything works perfectly.

Right now I am reading Eric Flint's 1633. I read 1632 a couple months back and am also enjoying this read too. I have ported a couple Linux reference sites to FBReader as HTML and that works well enough. But I also found an app just for the N8x0 devices running OS2008 that allows saving entire sites (or group of related pages) locally for offline reading.

I haven't had anytime to just sit over at Starbucks in the afternoon reading or doing xword puzzles. But in a week or two I can get back to that every other day or so...I miss it.

My overall impression of the N800 as an ebook reader is excellent. But there is that single glaring caveat of no DRM content can be read. So, if there is something I want to read which is only to be had DRM'd I will be using the nx73v...plus I prefer to do my xword puzzled on it vs the Garnet VM running BeCrossword. The problem is the GVM simply is not "Hildonized" to display well on the N8x0's. I understand this is a display resolution issue that is likely unsolvable. still it does work and I could and have easily worked them on the N800 without issues.

What I really want to do is open one of the illustrated Dickens works Harry_T fixed up and see how it displays in FBReader...I bet it's sorta nice...

Glad my ramblings were of use to someone... THANKS!!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #13
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
For reading DRM-infested ebooks on the Nokia, you have some options. The one that has been around for some time is ConvertLIT. Take all of the exploded files, zip them up and rename the file extension to ".oebzip". FBReader works great with these. More recently, DRM-infested Mobipocket and eReader books can be De-DRM'ed. See the other posting on the forum about where to find those tools. Without tools such as these, I wouldn't buy some of the ebooks that I do.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
For reading DRM-infested ebooks on the Nokia, you have some options. The one that has been around for some time is ConvertLIT. Take all of the exploded files, zip them up and rename the file extension to ".oebzip". FBReader works great with these. More recently, DRM-infested Mobipocket and eReader books can be De-DRM'ed. See the other posting on the forum about where to find those tools. Without tools such as these, I wouldn't buy some of the ebooks that I do.
I didn't know this. Thanks.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #15
hidari
MR Drone

ConvertLIT. A good note. I use these quite often to convert a format. Most of their format conversions are free as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post