Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Any way to convert zipped html to epub that will work on Iphone?

I love that I can combine html pages into one file via Calibre for use on my Sony 505. I've tested the output file on my Iphone and sadly, I just get a 1 page file with the text from the table of contents but no actual hyperlinks. Is there a way to create the file so that the hyperlinks work on the Iphone?

Also, is there a way to convert files that will put the title of the book at the top (or bottom) of each page?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you have a file that works on the SONY Reader and not on the iphone, thats a bug in Stanza.

The EPUB format doesn't support headers and footers, so no for the title
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the quick reply.

How about a header when I use LRF or MOBI on my Sony reader?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the lrf conversion dialog has a header option, use it.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
Katelyn
Addict

Sometimes I scare myself

Sorry about the DUH question
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 01:06 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
I love that I can combine html pages into one file via Calibre for use on my Sony 505. I've tested the output file on my Iphone and sadly, I just get a 1 page file with the text from the table of contents but no actual hyperlinks. Is there a way to create the file so that the hyperlinks work on the Iphone?
I use Calibre regularly to convert html and other files to epub for iPhone use. I have yet to encounter an epub converted by Calibre that doesn't work on my iPhone. I don't have a Sony Reader, though. Perhaps the formatting options used to make Sony-compatible epubs are currently incompatible with the Stanza? Might be something you should bring to the Stanza developers' attention. Lexcycle, I believe.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Katelyn
Addict

I tested further today and figured out that this is an issue with the EPUB file being created in Calibre. If I use LRF or MOBI as the output format, the hyperlinks work but if I use EPUB, they don't work at all, regardless of the app I use to open the file. Nothing to do with Stanza.

Since I'm using the same html file to test, I know the file itself is not the problem. I get book with working hyperlinks unless I use EPUB. I also noticed that, at least in Stanza, the file is being read as an image, not a text page.

Any suggestions? Here is a typical text file. I then change the extension to .html and drop into Calibre and convert.

<html>
<body>
<h2>Table of Contents</h2>
<p style="text-indent:0pt">
<a href="/Users/Katelyn/Downloads/callwoa1.html">Part One</a><br/>
<a href="/Users/Katelyn/Downloads/callwoa2.html">Part Two</a><br/>
<a href="/Users/Katelyn/Downloads/callwoa3.html">Part Three</a><br/>
<a href="/Users/Katelyn/Downloads/callwoa4.html">Part Four</a><br/>
<a href="/Users/Katelyn/Downloads/callwoa5.html">Part Five</a><br/>
<a href="/Users/Katelyn/Downloads/callwoa6.html">Part Six</a><br/>
<a href="/Users/Katelyn/Downloads/callwoa7.html">Part Seven</a><br/>
</p>
</body>
</html>
Old 03-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

do the links work if you view the file using calibre's viewer?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Katelyn
Addict

No, when I use the View feature in Calibre there are no links when I use EPUB. Same files shows links when I use LRF and MOBI and view in Calibre. Very odd.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

can you open a ticket and attach both the source files and the converted epub to it.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
Katelyn
Addict

Thanks. Ticket submitted.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
In the interim, Stanza Desktop will convert it to epub. Not an elegant program, but it works. http://www.lexcycle.com/stanza
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
Katelyn
Addict

I tested Stanza Desktop by opening an EPUB file I created using Calibre then downloading it to the Iphone. I can see the links but I get an error if I try to open any of them. The error on thr Iphone reads, "Invalid Link. Sorry, the link is invalid or leads to an external file."

I don't find anything at the Lexcycle site that leads me to believe Stanza Desktop will "combine" html pages into one single file to read as one book. In fact, there is a post in their forums how to combine html pages and the poster was referred to Calibre.

Hopefully, Calibre just as a bug with multiple html to EPUB or I'm just doing it wrong.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The EPUB format doesn't support headers and footers
Yes, it does. Quoting from the OPS spec, section 1.3.5: Relationship to CSS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPS
A few additional properties and values have been added to support page layout, headers, and footers.
A little further down:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPS
The content of an element assigned display: oeb-page-head should be presented only as a header, and the content of an element assigned display: oeb-page-foot should be presented only as a footer. Neither should be simply presented as if it were inline or block. Reading Systems, however, are free to present headers and footers either in special areas as usual for paper publications, or to make them available in another way... <continues>
Just a heads-up.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Does any reader software actually support oeb-page-head?