Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
shleepy
shleepy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPhone 3G
dictionaries

Well, I just placed my (back)order for a Cybook Gen3... I had my eye out on the Kindle 2, after being happy with the majority of the features of the Kindle 1 but wanting a leaner machine, and then I realized that it still didn't have unicode support, and I didn't want to re-invest that money unless I could read Russian books. So, I then started looking around for thin ebooks which support Russian text and dictionaries, since the latter is one of the features I really liked in the Kindle.

So, my question - what dictionaries have people found to be worth getting for the Cybook? Mainly, I'd need an English-English one, but Russian-English would be great, too, if that's possible, or Russian-Russian.

PS: Any decent free ones out there?

Last edited by shleepy; 02-17-2009 at 07:35 PM.
shleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shleepy View Post
Any decent free ones out there?
Webster, Noah: Webster's Dictionary 1913, GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English, and Wordnet Dictionary for Mobipocket.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
And... any Mobi one's you can find...
Good choice BTW!

Best reading,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For a (British) English dictionary, I have the "Chambers Unabridged", 10th ed., which is excellent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:09 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I'm sorry to expose my ignorance yet again, but could some kind soul please tell me how to use a dictionary on my Cybook?

I've downloaded the Wordnet Dictionary and unzipped it to a prc file. I seem to remember that it has to be installed in the Cybook itself, not the SD card. Is that all? Once it's installed how do I look up a word?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I've downloaded the Wordnet Dictionary and unzipped it to a prc file. I seem to remember that it has to be installed in the Cybook itself, not the SD card. Is that all? Once it's installed how do I look up a word?
It can be installed in the Cybook or in an SD card, but it must be in the /eBooks main directory, not in a subdirectory inside it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Skyrunner
Skyrunner began at the beginning.

Device: My eyes
I converted some of these http://reciteword.sourceforge.net/stardict/babylon.php to Mobipocket and bought Collins English to Spanish for $6. They all work like a charm.
Skyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'm sorry to expose my ignorance yet again, but could some kind soul please tell me how to use a dictionary on my Cybook?

Regards, Alex
Press <Select> to bring up the main menu, and select "Lookup Mode". Move the word cursor over the word you want to look up, and press <Select> again to look it up. Click the <Back> button (2nd button up from the bottom on the side of the machine) to return to the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
shleepy
shleepy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPhone 3G
Thanks for the comments, everybody! I can't wait to try it out.
shleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Press <Select> to bring up the main menu, and select "Lookup Mode". Move the word cursor over the word you want to look up, and press <Select> again to look it up. Click the <Back> button (2nd button up from the bottom on the side of the machine) to return to the book.
Many thanks again for all your help, Harry.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #11
veocolores
Enthusiast
veocolores doesn't litterveocolores doesn't litter

Device: Bookeen CyBook
Problems with Mobipocket dictionaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrunner View Post
I converted some of these http://reciteword.sourceforge.net/stardict/babylon.php to Mobipocket and bought Collins English to Spanish for $6. They all work like a charm.
Hi all, I don't know if this the propper place to do this post, but as I also want to ask Skyrunner for a tool to do that conversion between Stardic and Mobipocket, I'll make my other question related to dictionaries here to.

I've found this: http://www.klokan.cz/projects/stardict-lingea/, where it's supposed to be a tool for that conversion, but it talks about some ".tab" files, which are not present in the dictionaries you can download form there, so I supouse it will not work.

In other way, I'ver tried some dictionaries, (demos and free ones), but when I make a search inside a book, even showing me a list of possible matching words, after selcecting one of theese, a blank page is showed, and the Cybook starts working bad. You need to go to the library in order to be able to keep on reading, and no result at all was given.

The only way I could get a dictionary working, was making one on my own, only for testing pupouses I've made one, with only a word, and when I search for that word from a book, it works perfectly.

Just in case it was important, I'm making theese dictionary searching from ebooks in txt format, not from prc.

Thank a lot for your help.

PD: I'm sorry if I've made a lot of mistakes writing in english, I usually read it, but don't write it at all.

Bye
veocolores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #12
ztimar
Enthusiast
ztimar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Hi all! I know it's a quite old thread but I have a similar question:
how can I convert the dictionaries with extension .dic or .xdxf to mobi?

If anybody knows please help!
ztimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
lemontree255
lemontree255 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I've just checked for firmware updates after about a year of not looking. I rashly skipped the small print and went straight for 2.0.

Its only now I realise that my precious dictionaries do not work! Is there any advance on getting epubs dictionaries working or should I go back to version 1.5? Thanks.
lemontree255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #14
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Back to 1.5
You won´t have ePub that way, but with ePub there are no dictionaries.
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:26 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
At the moment it's either ePUB or dictionaries. It's not Bookeen's fault, there are at least two reasons for that:

1. You dictionaries are most probably in Mobipocket format. Due to contractual reasons (Mobipocket's policy), Bookeen cannot include both the "official" ePUB and Mobipocket readers (with DRM) at the same time. In theory, they could develop their own readers for non-DRM stuff, but I don't blame them for not taking the effort. Anyway, they could never have DRM'd dictionaries with DRM'd ePUB.

2. There is currently no accepted standard for dictionaries or other reference works in ePUB. That means reading software cannot know "how" to look up words or entries in a dictionary. Therefore, publishers haven't published dictionaries in ePUB format, and reader's don't include a dictionary lookup function.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote