Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Bezos speaks

Why customer focus is key:

Quote:

"If you have a customer-centric culture, that cures a lot of ills,” responds Bezos. “Let’s say you’re the leader in a particular arena, if you’re competitor-focused and you’re already the leader, then where does your energy come from? Whereas, if you’re customer focused, and you’re already the leader, customers are never satisfied.”
He continues, “If you’re customer-focused, you’re always waking up wondering, how can we make that customer say, wow? We want to impress our customers — we want them to say, wow. That kind of divine discontent comes from observing customers and noticing that things can always be better.”
Video of the interview linked at:
http://www.geekwire.com/2013/intervi...s-competitors/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Why customer focus is key:

Quote:
"If you have a customer-centric culture, that cures a lot of ills,” responds Bezos. “Let’s say you’re the leader in a particular arena, if you’re competitor-focused and you’re already the leader, then where does your energy come from? Whereas, if you’re customer focused, and you’re already the leader, customers are never satisfied.”
He continues, “If you’re customer-focused, you’re always waking up wondering, how can we make that customer say, wow? We want to impress our customers — we want them to say, wow. That kind of divine discontent comes from observing customers and noticing that things can always be better.”
It always confounds me when "leaders" spill the beans. Essentially, "here is the key to my success. Here is how I think."

Do they really want to appear on magazine covers, on Charlie Rose that much so as to give away their strategy and marching orders?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
It always confounds me when "leaders" spill the beans. Essentially, "here is the key to my success. Here is how I think."

Do they really want to appear on magazine covers, on Charlie Rose that much so as to give away their strategy and marching orders?
Its marketing.

"We are customer focused. We will go the extra mile for the customer. The other guys are only in it for a quick buck. They are also too dense to imitate us so I can safely spill the secret sauce and nothing will change."
Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
He's right though. If the customer isn't happy they'll let it be known in different ways. Bad advertising goes a lot farther than good does.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
There are no secrets in business. This isn't rocket science. The business that does the best job of making their customers satisfied is always going to come out on top. The business that does a poor job of keeping their customers happy had better be paying their lobbyists a lot of money to make sure the government grants them "favors" or they won't be in business for long.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Bezos has been saying similar things for years. Doesn't seem to have inspired Amazon's competitors to have better CS.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I think it is correct that there are no secrets to excellence in business leadership. There are just so few leaders that "get it right." Far too many leaders say the words but don't walk the talk.

Most businesses seem accounting-focused. Their customers and their own employees do not have enough priority in their strategic planning. It is more important to hit metrics like increasing inventory turns or accounts payable days than to satisfy customers. That is the recipe for the sea of mediocrity I swim in daily.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
It could be that his real secret is hiring people who are clever and hardworking. The infrastructure which Amazon has built is amazing. Everything from the order entry system to the warehouse to the returns department. They got all the details right, and they execute. What motivates each employee? The customer.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Seems to be "Bezos the guru" week.
Now it the Motley Fool with 20 quotes:
http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ever-said.aspx

A sample:

Quote:
1. "All businesses need to be young forever. If your customer base ages with you, you're Woolworth's."

2. "There are two kinds of companies: Those that work to try to charge more and those that work to charge less. We will be the second."

3. "Your margin is my opportunity."

4. "If you only do things where you know the answer in advance, your company goes away."

5. "We've had three big ideas at Amazon that we've stuck with for 18 years, and they're the reason we're successful: Put the customer first. Invent. And be patient."

6. "I very frequently get the question: 'What's going to change in the next 10 years?' And that is a very interesting question; it's a very common one. I almost never get the question: 'What's not going to change in the next 10 years?' And I submit to you that that second question is actually the more important of the two -- because you can build a business strategy around the things that are stable in time. ... [I]n our retail business, we know that customers want low prices, and I know that's going to be true 10 years from now. They want fast delivery; they want vast selection. It's impossible to imagine a future 10 years from now where a customer comes up and says, 'Jeff I love Amazon; I just wish the prices were a little higher,' [or] 'I love Amazon; I just wish you'd deliver a little more slowly.' Impossible. And so the effort we put into those things, spinning those things up, we know the energy we put into it today will still be paying off dividends for our customers 10 years from now. When you have something that you know is true, even over the long term, you can afford to put a lot of energy into it."
I wonder if the media is going to adopt him as the "new Jobs".

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-19-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
-
It could be that his real secret is hiring people who are clever and hardworking. -
Donald Trump would add: "and then watch them closely."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Bezos has been saying similar things for years. Doesn't seem to have inspired Amazon's competitors to have better CS.
To many companies "customer service" is just cost.

Most companies want you to buy stuff, and then go away, until you want to buy more stuff. These companies don't understand that this is not what makes a product or a company great.

A company becomes great if it reacts adequately to a problem/question, and resolves it promptly. In the end, it's the CS that will be remembered when buying other products.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
To many companies "customer service" is just cost.
Indeed, mediocre companies treat customer service as a cost center to be minimized instead of a core competence to be nurtured. That is one of the most common reasons that "shiny" doesn't last.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Indeed, mediocre companies treat customer service as a cost center to be minimized instead of a core competence to be nurtured. That is one of the most common reasons that "shiny" doesn't last.
Precisely! Give me good customer service when I have a problem and you will pretty much have me as a customer forever who will gladly spread the word about how good you are!

Many talk the talk but refuse to walk the walk. They will not get my money.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've worked in customer support some time ago, as a job beside school.

The training is all about the customer, on how to read/listen to the requests carefuly, on how to phrase clear responses, so issues are promptly resolved and the customer does not need to mail / call / chat back again...

Then, the real world.

Mail: Faster! Send out 40 mails a day... no wait! Not enough. Do 50. Hey! Some people managed 57 mails... next week the target is 60 mails a day!

Chat: Hm... only one customer? That's nothing. You can handle two in one chat session. Or three. No wait, let's try four. If there's a slow one, pick a fifth!

Calls: What? 7 minutes?! A call should be shorter than 5 minutes! We actually want a target of 4:30. You must handle that faster. Huh, whaddayasay? OF COURSE you can walk 91 year old gramps with his 12 year old computer through that wireless printer setup in 4:30 minutes. Why wouldn't you be able to?

Result:

Don't read mails. Just read the subject and hope your canned response will work.
Don't read chats. Actually, don't chat. Tell them you'll mail them instructions.
Don't listen to customers: tell the you'll send them a mail, then hang up.

Copy/Paste canned responses like crazy: *send* *send* *send* *send* *send*...

Don't solve any problems, have hugely annoyed customers.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-20-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote