Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #451
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Ignorantia juris non excusat (ignorance of the law does not excuse).
Exactly. He strikes me as a very arrogant person, presuming to know the law better than lawyers/judges, and assuming the role of leader in deliberations, misleading the jury into thinking that prior art didn't apply because "it does not run on the same hardware". I do not presume to know whether this is basis for mistrial, but it's certainly wrong.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #452
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Yes, that's the cynical side. The honourable side is that they could hardly complain in the US that Apple was trying to stifle competition with injunctions and continue with their own injunction suit once the US ban was denied.

Regardless of the reasons, it does represent a small de-escalation which is a good thing.

Graham
In this rendering, cynical is synonymous with truthful and honourable is synonymous with marketing spin.

I must say I fail to understand the headlines altogether. Samsung is still suing Apple over (FRAND) patents. It has simply withdrawn its request for an injunction.
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #453
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Exactly. He strikes me as a very arrogant person, presuming to know the law better than lawyers/judges, and assuming the role of leader in deliberations, misleading the jury into thinking that prior art didn't apply because "it does not run on the same hardware". I do not presume to know whether this is basis for mistrial, but it's certainly wrong.
Certain element of pot and kettle here unless you can confirm you are a senior counsel or appellate court judge...
If the judge has decided it doesn't need a new case then I'll take the judge's view until or unless reversed by a higher court...
Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #454
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
If the judge has decided it doesn't need a new case then I'll take the judge's view until or unless reversed by a higher court...
The judge cited chapter and verse of the guidelines; Basically she said it was Samsung's job to vet the potential jurors and that the same way they found out after the fact was the way they should have found out *before* the trial.
Appeals courts do not generally overturn civil court cases because the plaintif's counsel did not do their job diligently. Certainly not in a duel of deep pockets vs deep pockets.
Time for both sides to call a truce so they can both declare victory.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #455
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
In the US, jurors aren't required to know the law or even act in accordance with it. The jurors are above the law since they don't have to state their reasons for their verdicts. The jury selection phase often takes longer than the entire trial because it may be the most important part.
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #456
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Certain element of pot and kettle here unless you can confirm you are a senior counsel or appellate court judge...
Not at all, did you miss the "I do not presume to know the law" part???
Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #457
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The judge cited chapter and verse of the guidelines; Basically she said it was Samsung's job to vet the potential jurors and that the same way they found out after the fact was the way they should have found out *before* the trial.
Appeals courts do not generally overturn civil court cases because the plaintif's counsel did not do their job diligently. Certainly not in a duel of deep pockets vs deep pockets.
Time for both sides to call a truce so they can both declare victory.
But vetting the jurors is still based on their answers. Should Samsung have assumed that the juror didn't tell the truth about having been involved in a lawsuit?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #458
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not at all, did you miss the "I do not presume to know the law" part???
Not at all, I read, "I do not presume to know whether this is basis for mistrial, but it's certainly wrong." from you which doesn't mention law merely whether it may be the basis for mistrial when the judge has already said that it wasn't the basis for mistrial followed by your comment that it was wrong... this seems to be you putting your opinion ahead of the trial judge... this makes my comment perfectly applicable...
Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #459
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Not at all, I read, "I do not presume to know whether this is basis for mistrial, but it's certainly wrong." from you which doesn't mention law merely whether it may be the basis for mistrial when the judge has already said that it wasn't the basis for mistrial followed by your comment that it was wrong... this seems to be you putting your opinion ahead of the trial judge... this makes my comment perfectly applicable...
Please read what I said. I said that I do not know whether it is the basis for mistrial (which means I do not presume to know the law), but that misleading the jury with false information (i.e., telling them that prior art does not apply because it does not run on the same hardware) is wrong. You might think that misleading the jury is fair game, and good for you, but it's not my opinion. The fact that, in my opinion, is wrong does not mean that it is against the law, or any basis for mistrial.

Last edited by afv011; 12-18-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #460
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
But vetting the jurors is still based on their answers. Should Samsung have assumed that the juror didn't tell the truth about having been involved in a lawsuit?
Would you please post the transcript of this juror's responses during voir-dire?

I am hearing an awful lot about not telling the truth without anything to back it up.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #461
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Would you please post the transcript of this juror's responses during voir-dire?

I am hearing an awful lot about not telling the truth without anything to back it up.
Well, PCWorld's article says:

Quote:
Neither party has conclusively shown whether Hogan intentionally concealed his lawsuit with Seagate, or whether he merely forgot to mention it when asked by the court whether he was ever involved in a lawsuit,
...and I've italicized what I believe is the relevant part. Having served on juries, you're always asked about prior litigious experience for a civil jury and criminal experience if it is a criminal trial. Always. This guy didn't just forget being a party to some other guy's lawsuit, or being a witness--he was sued by his own former employer. I don't think you "forget" that. That's bollox.

I suspect that Samsung actually still has a reasonable case to make that they had no reason to pursue the question in voir dire, as the negative answer meant that they couldn't know what they couldn't know. It would be negligent voir dire, indeed, if he had said "yes," and they didn't pursue that; but the reasonable man doesn't automatically infer that every juror who answers "no" is lying. And I think there's a reasonable case that he concealed it deliberately, all things considered. How can you "forget" that you've been sued by your employer? Or that you've been in bankruptcy court, as a bankrupt? Am I the only one (who, by the way, couldn't care less about the argument on the table about whether Android or Apple is Ruler of the World) who finds that slightly unbelievable?

It's the District Court. I'm sure we'll hear about it again. ;-)

Hitch
Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #462
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

It's the District Court. I'm sure we'll hear about it again. ;-)

Hitch
Yep, hope so! Because what happened here was pure and simple - wrong!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #463
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
Please read what I said. I said that I do not know whether it is the basis for mistrial (which means I do not presume to know the law), but that misleading the jury with false information (i.e., telling them that prior art does not apply because it does not run on the same hardware) is wrong. You might think that misleading the jury is fair game, and good for you, but it's not my opinion. The fact that, in my opinion, is wrong does not mean that it is against the law, or any basis for mistrial.
I have no thoughts that misleading anyone is good form but I thought we were discussing law and a case, not you putting words in my mouth (and I obviously made a mistake in believing your words as clearly written)... a case where the judge has found that there are no grounds for a retrial concerning whatever the jury foreman did... all the rest of it is based on he said/ she said, whatever... the relevant thing is that the judge is satisfied and that's basically that unless a higher court rules otherwise...
Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #464
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Am I the only one (who, by the way, couldn't care less about the argument on the table about whether Android or Apple is Ruler of the World) who finds that slightly unbelievable?
Nope, you're not the only one.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #465
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
I obviously made a mistake...
Yes, indeed you did. I never said that the judge was wrong to dismiss the appeal from Samsung for a mistrial, I said that the jury lead appeared arrogant to me and that it was wrong of him to give false information to the jury regarding prior art.

Last edited by afv011; 12-19-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Closed Thread