Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Would you buy a book as an app?

Is this a new (worse) form of DRM?

From the New York Observer:

Quote:
The journal Electric Literature has started a service that will allow authors to transmit their work directly to customers' iPads and iPhones by selling the book as an app rather than as an ebook sold through the iBooks or Kindle programs.
Quote:
The apps come with variety of features, such as commenting tools or audio and video clips. "People want to talk about the books they are reading with other people," said Stephen Elliott, whose The Adderall Diaries will be Electric Publisher's first app. "Why, with everything we know, wouldn't you include a chat room with your e-book?" Also, in Mr. Elliott's case, the iPad apps cost about five dollars more than the ebook versions.
I don't know what I think about this. It seems, especially for new or unknown authors to be very limiting. At least Kindle books can be read on a variety of platforms (same with nook and Kobo) and ePub can be read on a large number of devices. I'm not sure how this new "format" is helpful (aside from the whiz bang audio/video features).

Would you buy a book as an app?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Heck no. Too many bells and whistles for my tastes.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Nope no apps for me.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Unless the book lends itself to special features, like a graphic novel or a "make your own story" type book, it just seems silly, when there are lots of perfectly good avenues already, like epub, mobi, etc. There may be some novelty value in it initially, but for the average author and average reader, what's the point?
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Nope, portability between devices is a MUST.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
1) I buy books to read, not to watch videos.

2) I have many hundreds of books. The 'file/app system' on both the ipad and the android system aren't designed for this volume. I need to load them into a book reader where they can be sorted by title, by author, by "new" versus existing, etcetera. Lumping them in with all apps would make it very difficult to find an actual app, or a specific book.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
It would become too messy to have a sizeable collection of books on a phone.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Sure, why not. I am not afraid to try new things.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
It would have to offer something reeeeeally enticing to get me to buy a "book" that would sit outside of the library all my other books are in and clutter up my app screens. I can't imagine what would get me to even consider it. I mean, we're talking about reading--I don't need many geegaws for that.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
No way. I have enough apps cluttering up my iPod to add every book I own as one.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
No way. I have enough apps cluttering up my iPod to add every book I own as one.
Ditto.

I can't even imagine what features an app would have that would warrant it. I'm annoyed enough looking at iPad reading apps in the iTunes store and its cluttered with PD books as apps.

I've delved into the Children's Books/apps area of iTunes, and not only is it a mess, but most of the "apps" are really just ads for print books.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:25 AM   #12
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
That just seems wrong! I don't even like pbooks that have a CD attached (you're supposed to listen at certain times to enhance the book??). So I'm a big "no thank you" to that one.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #13
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Nope. I wouldn't.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:27 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Only one word:

No
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:53 AM   #15
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
When I told a friend that I was buying a Kindle, he was rather sceptical of e-books. He showed me this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gew68Qj5kxw

His opinion is that this is where e-books could be good - having that sort of extra content. My response was that it's not a book - it's an app based on a book. I'd have no interest in it, but then I've never read Alice in Wonderland. I dare say fans of the book would love it.

Quote:
"People want to talk about the books they are reading with other people," said Stephen Elliott, whose The Adderall Diaries will be Electric Publisher's first app. "Why, with everything we know, wouldn't you include a chat room with your e-book?"
Why not use any of the many communication options we already have to talk about the book? Phones (land-line and mobile), instant messaging, IRC, Skype, e-mail, forums. I already have all of these, I don't see any reason to add a book-specific one.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote