Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
rickhan
Enthusiast
rickhan began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Calibre and PC based readers

My wife and I are expanding are ebook collection. Most are free books in prc format right now, with a few bought ones.
I configured Calibre to use a server location for its library. I then imported all the books.
I now want to send specific books or groups of books to my netbook and my desktop to read in the PC Kindle Reader.
Not finding an easy way to do that.
It looks real easy to send to any dedicated ereader device, but nothing built in to support PC based readers. ( We will be buying at least one reader in the near future.)
Has anyone set this up before?
rickhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Try using 'Connect to folder', found by clicking the small triangle to the right of Send to device. This feature lets you make any arbitrary folder into a 'device'. You send your books there named how you want, then use your reader program with them.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
rickhan
Enthusiast

I tried that. It sent a folder (authors name) with files under it. None of my readers handled that. I had to manually copy the prc file into the root. Then my reader could see it, but it had a generic cover. Not very usable.
From what I can see, PC based readers need to have support added, so that the file is copied to the root, and possibly have a cover included.
Also messy when trying to copy to several different PCs, and even worse if you wanted to copy for several different readers.
Anyone doing a development project for this? I'd help develop and test..
Old 07-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Change the send template in preferences -> plugins -> device interface plugins. Get rid of all the slashes, leaving enough so that the books have unique names. To get covers in the book file, you must re-convert the book.

Not sure why having separate folders for different readers is a problem, but then I am not you.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
rickhan
Enthusiast

That worked, for changing the 'Send to Folder' preferences.

The different PC readers all read from only the folder they recognize --I don't see any way to change that. "My Kindle Content", "My Barnes and Noble eBooks", etc.

I had to change the default to "Send in specific format", because it insisted on sending in ePub format no matter what the preferences are set to. PRC, MOBI, ePub is the preference order, which is ignored.

Many thanks for the help.
I'd hate to have to talk someone non technical in setting this up for PC reader use..
Old 07-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Thinking about what you are trying to do, you might be happier with the content server or an calibre2opds catalog.

First, I assume that you have a LAN at home that you will use to push books around. My thought is that instead of pushing books to your clients (family), instead they pull the books they want to read. Either the content server or calibre2opds-generated pages would do that. Your family member decides to read something. S/he goes to your server (either http:// if you are running a content server, or file:// if you have a network share with the library on it), browses, finds the book, and downloads the right format to the desktop. Then fire up the right reader, import the book, and they are good to go.

There are several reasons this won't work (no lan, no network storage, etc), but maybe it solves your problem?
Old 07-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
rickhan
Enthusiast

I'll need to play with those options.
Both my wife and I will be acquiring books, so it needs to be easy to get them into Calibre.
The website option is interesting, as I have several servers, 5 static IPs, and a commercial Comcast connection to the Internet. That would make it easy to connect my netbook and download...from anywhere.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhan View Post
The website option is interesting, as I have several servers, 5 static IPs, and a commercial Comcast connection to the Internet. That would make it easy to connect my netbook and download...from anywhere.
Yes, it does. I use apache on my family server (a linode VPS running debian lenny) along with my library and a calibre2opds -generated 'site'. I don't run calibre on my server, but instead maintain the site using calibre and calibre2opds on my personal machine, keeping the library and generated html in a dropbox folder. Thanks to dropbox, changes automatically propagate to my server, and are (more-or-less) immediately available for use. My family is in 3 countries (4 if we count rural Montana and Manhattan as different countries ) and all access the library at need.

Tags
pc reader