Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-10-2015, 05:53 AM   #1
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Find/Replace no longers sees unbreakable space in Normal mode

This is a very minor change that happened with the latest update. It might be a by-product of another change or an intended change, I just wanted to point it out in case.

For various reasons, in my fanfiction 'books' it is often easier to do a find/replace in 'Normal' mode, which touches on Unbreakable spaces (fanfic author uses section breaks that a line with lots of " * " or "?" or even "." - and I like section breaks in all my fanfics to be uniform); or the formatting from the author includes an unbreakable space and a regular space side by side.

I would generally just copy, then do a find replace in normal mode (especially if they used some "." in there!). Easier and quicker than escaping everything each time.

Thanks! Oh, and sorry I'm so wordy...I can't really help it. Just imagine - I cut it down A LOT!
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Can you post an example book where that happens. It's certianly not an intended change.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

I'm not great at screenshots. I have an example, not the best, but it does show it not 'finding' the unbreakable space. The part to find is lines 18 to 20. After, I changed it to regex and the unbreakable space to '\s' and it worked.

This one isn't bad, but it's when you need to find a line filled with other symbols that need to be escaped that it will get tedious. Sometimes there's no choice, but when there is it's nice not to have to.

Last edited by MerlinMama; 04-10-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I need the book you are editing not a screenshot.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #5
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Oh...I have absolutely no idea what you're asking for and/or how to do that. I've only just realize lately that '\s' and '\S' do not both look for the same things (and that \s is for more than spaces)!
Old 04-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Kovid, I have also encountered some replacement problems with non-breaking spaces. For some reason it seems I cannot replace them with calibre 2.24, which previous versions could.

See attached file as an example.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tester - Test [eng] (2015).zip (9.5 KB, 105 views)
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I did was copy the non-breaking space from the text and use it in S&R as the search object, and replace it with anything else. What actually is replaced is the normal space character.

When you use the "Insert Special Character" option, choose the nps from there, then it works like intended.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@DrChiper: The problem comes from Qt, it converts the nbsp character into an ordinary space when copying using a keyboard shortcut. Fix will be in the next release. In the meantime simply copy by selecting and clicking the copy button instead of using the keyboard shortcut.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
DrChiper
Bookish

Yes, that works

Qt seems to have a lot of side-effects ...
Old 04-14-2015, 05:36 AM   #10
wdewilde
wdewilde began at the beginning.

Device: Boox
I have the same problem. But if I replace those spaces with   and I put the book (BeBook Neo) and try to read them The text stops after the first encounter with a non-breaking space.

So If you are going to fix it please hurry

Walter
wdewilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Kovid already said it has been fixed. Just wait until the next release, usually every Friday.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdewilde View Post
I have the same problem. But if I replace those spaces with   and I put the book (BeBook Neo) and try to read them The text stops after the first encounter with a non-breaking space.

So If you are going to fix it please hurry
In the meantime, if you have inserted lots of   entities just run the Check Book option. It will flag that you have named entities in the book and offers an option to fix them automatically.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #13
wdewilde
wdewilde began at the beginning.

Device: Boox
Thanks jackie_w

You solution solved my problem.
wdewilde is offline   Reply With Quote