Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
just bought a glo from japan - how to sign in

i have a few questions.. first of all, when i set up my glo, it asks for my rakuten id instead of my kobobooks.com id.. all my previous book purchases are on my kobobooks account and not my rakuten account.

how do i log in using my kobo account instead? is it due to the fact that the glo detects my ip location as japan and therefore by default asks for a rakuten id? i noticed that the same thing happens when i go to kobobooks.com in my japan hotel..it refuses to allow me to login to my usa account,and instead defaults to my rakuten login page..

any idea guys?
silverspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
i have a few questions.. first of all, when i set up my glo, it asks for my rakuten id instead of my kobobooks.com id.. all my previous book purchases are on my kobobooks account and not my rakuten account.

how do i log in using my kobo account instead? is it due to the fact that the glo detects my ip location as japan and therefore by default asks for a rakuten id? i noticed that the same thing happens when i go to kobobooks.com in my japan hotel..it refuses to allow me to login to my usa account,and instead defaults to my rakuten login page..

any idea guys?
Maybe you could change the 'affiliate' in the config file? I don't have my device present, so I can't give you more specific details on what config file. Just check the main folder and the .kobo folder on config files. In one of them should be that label.
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
I checked inside the '.kobo' folder and opened the file named 'affiliate.conf' with Notepad.
Inside, it says '[General]affiliate=Kobo'.

I would make a backup of this file before tinkering with it.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:

any idea guys?
Perhaps try using a VPN, is that possible at this stage of the set up?

I oft use:

www.hidemyass.com
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

VPN would be a good idea, except only that I am on holiday now, so I don't have my PC with me, and though my phone and tablet can use VPN, I have no way of telling the Kobo to use a VPN to log in..
Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
VPN would be a good idea, except only that I am on holiday now, so I don't have my PC with me, and though my phone and tablet can use VPN, I have no way of telling the Kobo to use a VPN to log in..
Can the phone or tablet be used as a WiFi hotspot? If so, try establishing the VPN on them and then connect the Glo.

Last edited by davidfor; 12-06-2012 at 05:59 AM. Reason: spelling
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #7
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
This is what I was worried about, that the Japan Glo might be a "Japanized" version. Look forward to hearing updates on this. I will not buy a Glo if it makes me log in with a Rakuten ID.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Perhaps try using a VPN, is that possible at this stage of the set up?

I oft use:

www.hidemyass.com
I tried that and tunnelbear but can't get either to work with Amazon.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

any idea guys?
First, go to Japan....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
silverspear
Connoisseur

Updates for this thread.. sorry, i updated another thread, and i forgot to update this one.

I have returned from my holiday in Osaka, and true enough, the Glo first detects your IP location, before deciding which account to allow you to log in with. So when I was in japan, it only allowed me to log in with my Rakuten id. However, once back home, I reset the unit and started again, and this time it "correctly" allowed me to sign in with my kobo id!

So for the japanese kobo glo, i conclude that it is no different software-wise, from the international version. Same goes for the paperwhite as well!

Thanks for all your suggestions guys!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I have returned from my holiday in Osaka, and true enough, the Glo first detects your IP location, before deciding which account to allow you to log in with. So when I was in japan, it only allowed me to log in with my Rakuten id. However, once back home, I reset the unit and started again, and this time it "correctly" allowed me to sign in with my kobo id!
I'm very curious what will happen when you now go back to Japan, and try to sync your device with the kobo-account-settings...
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
silverspear
Connoisseur

I think syncing is fine, as long as you don't reset your device..