Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
Sigil resets edits to content.opf

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if Sigil is. Last night I was trying to fix what page iBooks starts up when I open a book and was editing the <guide> section of content.opf. I saved and loaded the book onto the iPad to test and it still didn't work properly so I went back to Sigil and found all of my edits had reverted back to their pre-edit state.

Testing it a little I noticed that any changes I made to the <guide> section were reverted any time I saved. Unzipped the epub, edited in notepad and tested on the iPad and it worked fine then. But if I load that edited book back into Sigil, it shows the edits okay but when I save it changes them again.

This explains why when I have changed previous books they still didn't work properly but I'm not sure why Sigil is "fixing" my edits like it is?

Any ideas?
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I guess you use version 0.3.4... That version will recreate your opf file while saving.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

No, 0.4.2.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:30 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Hmm, since 0.4 it should leave your OPF alone, as long as you don't recreate your TOC with the option.

Perhaps Charleski or John can give you an answer. Perhaps it needs to rewrite the <guide> part. Open an issue on the tracker for it, so they have a reference.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
FWIW, I have not seen this behavior with Sigil 0.4.2. I modify the content.opf both by adding files to the epub (e.g. cover image) and by directly editing the metadata section and the guide section. Sigil WILL tidy up the "pretty printing" of the content.opf (indenting the manually entered entries, for example) but so far I have not caught it undoing edits.

Edited to add, this is the Sigil 0.4.2 release installed on Debian Sid Linux.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
adv_dp_fan
Zealot

Played around with it a little more and can repeat it on different ebooks. Basically I'm changing the "type" setting on the cover or deleting it completely from the <guide> section. If I make the changes outside of Sigil, when I load the book into Sigil it correctly shows my changes but the moment I hit save it appears to re-write them to its own form.

Other changes I make to content.opf don't seem to have an issue, just any relating to the cover in the <guide> section.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_dp_fan View Post
Played around with it a little more and can repeat it on different ebooks. Basically I'm changing the "type" setting on the cover or deleting it completely from the <guide> section. If I make the changes outside of Sigil, when I load the book into Sigil it correctly shows my changes but the moment I hit save it appears to re-write them to its own form.

Other changes I make to content.opf don't seem to have an issue, just any relating to the cover in the <guide> section.
Can you open a bug report with this explanation please.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
adv_dp_fan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Can you open a bug report with this explanation please.
Yeah, I'll open one when I get home tonight. I'll see if I can create a basic example to include as well.