Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Wouldn't that be more related to the software that creates the ePub instead of the way the device presents it? Maybe if nothing else, add a thingy to Calibre to allow you to do those things? I dunno, my tech expertise level is "unplug it and replug it, and we will see what happens."
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #17
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Yeah, all those are issues with the reader, not the format.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:35 AM   #18
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
A replaceable battery (which you can easily buy) would be a huge plus point too as I think a lot of devices these days are limited by the battery's inevitable decline.
While I agree that replaceable batteries are a good thing, when you see hardware that has one getting criticised for being thicker than a rival model that doesn't then you can see why hardware manufacturers do decide to avoid them at times.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't like the numbers on the side and I don't like the limit on flow size (or whatever the sections of an ePub are called; limited to 300kb size IIRC). The lack of full justification is also an issue.
The first of those is a feature of the Adobe Digital Editions software; the latter two are restrictions specifically of the Sony Reader. There are ePub devices other than the Sony Reader out there, you know! Eg, the CyBook Opus has neither of these restrictions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
While I agree that replaceable batteries are a good thing, when you see hardware that has one getting criticised for being thicker than a rival model that doesn't then you can see why hardware manufacturers do decide to avoid them at times.
+ the rate of technology change is such that there will probably be a better device available before the battery fails (assuming by old-age). That's they way it is with most cell phones these days.

Still if it costs no more to make it replaceable then
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:23 AM   #21
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
+ the rate of technology change is such that there will probably be a better device available before the battery fails (assuming by old-age). That's they way it is with most cell phones these days.
Assuming you don't use your reader for mp3s then they also have the big advantage that they don't get charged anywhere near as often as most other portable electronics so thats another thing that will increase the lifetime of the battery.

I think for e-ink readers the best compromise of size and convenience would be user-serviceable batteries so you were able to replace them when they eventually failed, but it wouldn't be something you needed to change regularly.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:35 AM   #22
Crowl
Wizard

Anyway, my almost perfect e-book reader for 2010 is a 505, so I guess my perfect one would be an upgraded 505 with more memory, faster hardware and maybe wireless of some kind.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #23
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Wow! Most of the posters here are going to be badly disappointed for the forseeable future. A few of you might be happy with a 6" screen WinMobile or Maemo PDA. Good luck. See "Other Devices" threads.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #24
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The first of those is a feature of the Adobe Digital Editions software; the latter two are restrictions specifically of the Sony Reader. There are ePub devices other than the Sony Reader out there, you know! Eg, the CyBook Opus has neither of these restrictions.
Of course but I happen to think the 505 is designed better than the Opus (apart from the EPUB issue). I think the physical design of the 505 is exceptionally good, as do many other people apparently.

Also, I think that exclamation mark was uncalled for.

Last edited by corroonb; 09-12-2009 at 04:01 PM.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:46 AM   #25
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Of course but I happen to think the 505 is designed better than the Opus (apart from the EPUB issue). I think the physical design of the 505 is exceptionally good, as do many other people apparently.

Also, I think that exclamation mark was uncalled for.
I wonder how people hold the PRS-505 comfortably without the cover. I've tried everything possible with my hands and kept coming to the same solutions: it needs to either be lighter for pinch-holding (left corner page-turning), the bottom corners need to be chamfered and radiused to settle into the palm, or the right-side buttons should be much higher to allow a side grip.

I've not known Sony products to ever be particularly well-designed for human use though. Don't have much positive to say about any of the other manufacturers though either.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:33 AM   #26
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
why would you want hold the Sony without a cover? A cover is included, the cold metal doesn't feel so nice. You hold it like a regular book, either left thumb on the turn page button below left or right thumb on the turn page button at the right hand side. Depends on the exact position I am holding it. Well thought out and convenient, at least for some of us humans! With the added ergonomic advantage, that the eyes remain fixed on the same side of the "book".

The justification issue for EPub is a small irritation, but we are not talking a major issue here.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #27
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I wonder how people hold the PRS-505 comfortably without the cover. I've tried everything possible with my hands and kept coming to the same solutions: it needs to either be lighter for pinch-holding (left corner page-turning), the bottom corners need to be chamfered and radiused to settle into the palm, or the right-side buttons should be much higher to allow a side grip.

I've not known Sony products to ever be particularly well-designed for human use though. Don't have much positive to say about any of the other manufacturers though either.
The EBW1150 is bigger and 2 or 3 times heavier, but very well designed. There is a thick rolled edge with a comfy soft rubberish grip, and it balances on your hand so nicely that you don't notice the weight. The newer models are all going for thinner, so a handgrip such as the EBW1150 has would never make it. But I sure wish my 505 had a nice thick soft grippy section.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #28
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Won't be here in 2010--and wouldn't be a dedicated reader.

9 or 10" tablet device with color touch screen and stylus. Does full internet surfing, e-mail, movies, music, games. Has a non-backlit mode for e-books. Can display PDFs flawlessly and the stylus works flawlessly to highlight and write notes in the margin just as easily as paper. Battery gets 10 hours with intensive tasks like movies, more for reading with no back lighting. Costs around $500.

I'd say 2015 is more reasonable for something like that.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #29
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Realistic (or not?)

None of the features already mentioned in this thread would make me run and buy a new e-book reader in 2010. However, if anybody creates a device that can have the following, I am the first one to buy it:
  1. A foldable screen (eg. two 6" screens creating one reading space after unfolding)
  2. An authentic quote/note feature. What I mean is a feature that enables to create a user quote/note set. This feature has been implemented in some Bible study programs and I find it really useful for study/research purposes. By "quote" I mean that one can select some text and with just one click append it to their note file (together with automatically generated reference). Obviously, this note file would have to be easily transferrable to the PC as text or RTF.
  3. Multiformat (DRMed PDF, Mobipocked, eReader and ePub as a minimum set)
  4. Either a touchscreen with handwriting recognition/software keyboard or some other usable form of text input. Most of existing devices impede rather than aid any text input. Writing a pencil note in a dead-tree book is so much faster...

Last edited by macminer; 09-15-2009 at 09:56 PM.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #30
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I sure wish my 505 had a nice thick soft grippy section.
It wouldn't be difficult for some company to come up with a case that provided that, though I doubt enough people have experienced decent ergonomics to want it. It would also be possible for a flat reader to have a flap that could fold out to provide at least some sort of gripping bulge. Or one could velcro-tape a piece of foam to a reader.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote