Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
samalex
samalex began at the beginning.

Device: none
Book titles and meta info to Kindle 3

Hi,

Probably in a week or two I'll place an order for a Kindle 3, but in the meantime I'm starting to get my books organized in Calibre 0.7.12 which I just installed for the first time (running Ubuntu 10.04). Just curious, will Calibre sync to a Kindle 3? My guess is yes, but if so will the meta info plus covers sync as well? I haven't used a Kindle yet, so I wasn't sure how or where the covers are displayed.

I'm also setting up the Series and Tag info so the books will hopefully be more easily sorted/searched since I have about 500 books that'll come across in the initial sync... all being either TXT or PDF.

Thanks --

Sam
samalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
There's no reason to think the K3 won't work with Calibre, but it can't be added to the software until the devices are actually out.

Speaking from a K2 perspective, since the K3 isn't out yet.

Yes the meta info and covers come across just fine.

The series/tag info will help you stay organized in Calibre, but collections for the Kindle are created on device.

Be careful adding to many books at once, I'd add them in chunks. When I first got my K2 I added 300-400 books all at once. It's the only time I had problems with the K2. It would lock up and the battery life sucked. Turns out that when you add books the Kindle "indexes" them for faster searching and my problems were caused by it getting overloaded indexing all those books at once. Since then I add books in smaller chunks and have never had another single issue with it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There's no reason to think the K3 won't work with Calibre, but it can't be added to the software until the devices are actually out.
Indeed -- and even if Calibre isn't immediately updated to recognize the K3, "save to disk" could be used with the mounted Kindle to get the books over (with metadata and covers intact).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
So how does the metadata work? Do I need to reconvert my ebooks to include the metadata at the start of each ebook?

Secondly, does the Kindle use the 'Tags' created in Calibre? I downloaded metadata and quite a number of my books have 10-20 different tags (I left them as they didn't bother me, but if it will bother my new I will have to sort them out).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
samalex
samalex began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
So how does the metadata work? Do I need to reconvert my ebooks to include the metadata at the start of each ebook?

Secondly, does the Kindle use the 'Tags' created in Calibre? I downloaded metadata and quite a number of my books have 10-20 different tags (I left them as they didn't bother me, but if it will bother my new I will have to sort them out).
Actually I was wondering the same thing. I have about 600+ books, technical articles, papers, etc setup in Calibre now, and with many of them automatically getting the Metadata there are TONS of tags. I'm working on cleaning them up since tagging the documents would be an awesome way to keep track of everything even on my laptop, but i'd hate to have this mess carry over to the Kindle.

And if the Kindle does use the tags then even better!

Sam
samalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, the Kindle does not use the tags set in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
xsw
xsw began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I've got a Kindle 3 on order as well and am busy setting up a library on calibre as well.....

As I assume that no-one is aware yet of the kindle 3 tags...... what tags from calibre currently are transferred to the kindle 2..... and is there an optimum way of setting your books up on calibre to make it work well on the kindle

I'm thinking that there could be issues on series ?, author ordering ( by author or order sort ) etc etc

Thanks
xsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
xsw
xsw began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, the Kindle does not use the tags set in calibre.
I think I understand by this that the tags in the calibre database don't go across

by I am guessing that if the tags have been imbedded in the book ( by creating the tags and then converting the books ).... that they will go across......

is this a correct assumption

Thanks
xsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes, provided you use the include metadata in book conversion option.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote